CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YARN BRAIDS

+5
Channyboo23
PaganWifey
LadyMika
tiashaunteé
FAMUdani
9 posters

Go down

YARN BRAIDS Empty YARN BRAIDS

Post by FAMUdani 26th February 2010, 12:35 pm

ok so i believe i looked on someones fotki here and saw that they had yarn braids...woowzers!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i want 'em i want 'em!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] they remind me so much of locs which i am considering gettin, but of course i want to know if some u of have had any problems with them-pros and cons, how u took care of them and etc.

ty kindly!

FAMUdani

Back to top Go down

YARN BRAIDS Empty Re: YARN BRAIDS

Post by tiashaunteé 26th February 2010, 9:33 pm

If you go Eden's BNB thread - she just removed some yarn braids and will be putting some back in, in a few weeks I believe
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FAMUdani 1st March 2010, 10:16 am

ok great ty!!!

FAMUdani

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 1st March 2010, 11:52 am

I had yarn braids for several months, and they were AWESOME. As far as maintenance goes, I washed them every week to two weeks using castile soap, conditioned with my usual Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner, diluted in water with jojoba oil, and oiled my scalp with an oil mix I made (which I also used every other day until the next wash day). I sprayed my scalp in the morning with a mix of water, conditioner and oils before styling.

Pros and cons? Hmm...a CON would be how TEDIOUS it is to cut the strands to the length that you want. YouTuber BlackOnyx (whom I got the idea from) suggested using the legs of a chair to measure how long you wanted your braids (meaning, wrap the yarn AROUND the legs of the chair--2 legs for "short", 3 for "medium" all of them for "long"). But of course, all chairs are made different so ultimately length will vary. They also take A LONG TIME to do. But, the more times you do them, the faster you'll get. The first time took me TWO DAYS. The second time took me ONE day. The last time I did it in January, it took me about 10-12 hours.

The PROS? The yarn helps to trap moisture (provided you're spraying/oiling your scalp on a regular basis). They can be worn casual or formal; I was wearing LOC JEWELRY in my braids at one point. The COST of these are damn near non-existent. You're ultimately paying the price of the yarn, and not much else. ALSO, the variety of colors you can add is nuts! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I used the Bernat Super Value yarn (100% acrylic--wool will loc in your hair) in two colors: black and purple. The first time I did it, I used black, brown AND purple. It looked like really funky highlights, but it was still work appropriate. (But if you want to play it safe, do them in all black.) Here are some pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also have pics on my Facebook if you want to see those. Hope this helps! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FAMUdani 1st March 2010, 12:26 pm

o yea very helpful tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

FAMUdani

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 8th March 2010, 1:08 am

I'm intrigued.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Channyboo23 28th March 2010, 2:28 pm

I did my own yarn braids in 08 and kept them for about three months. I will say that like kinky twists they look even better the older they get. As far as maintenance goes I washed them with my suave clarifying shampoo every two or three weeks. I oiled my scalp with either EVOO, Castor oil, or whatever oil I had at the time. I would also spray them with my african pride braid spray. I have also have yarn twists on two occasions (down by me of course Smile. check out my fotki to see the picks
Channyboo23
Channyboo23

http://www.fotki.com/channyboo23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 29th March 2010, 12:52 am

How do you seal the yarn braids? Do you dip them in hot water or roll them in rollers
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th March 2010, 1:49 am

npmoore04 wrote:How do you seal the yarn braids? Do you dip them in hot water or roll them in rollers

Actually, you burn the tips so they don't unravel. If you want to curl them, you can dip them in hot water or put them in rollers. (You've actually given me a style idea; I'll be wearing braids to a friend's wedding in a couple of months. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.])
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th March 2010, 1:51 am

Channyboo23 wrote:I did my own yarn braids in 08 and kept them for about three months. I will say that like kinky twists they look even better the older they get. As far as maintenance goes I washed them with my suave clarifying shampoo every two or three weeks. I oiled my scalp with either EVOO, Castor oil, or whatever oil I had at the time. I would also spray them with my african pride braid spray. I have also have yarn twists on two occasions (down by me of course Smile. check out my fotki to see the picks

I'll have to try the yarn twists, and it's funny I'm reading this because I was thinking about it while at work. Glad this thread got bumped! I'm getting a lot of ideas! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by sdlovette 17th April 2010, 11:07 pm

do you use regular yarn? where do u get it from?
sdlovette
sdlovette

Back to top Go down

Post by sdlovette 17th April 2010, 11:17 pm

do you use regular yarn? where do u get it from?
sdlovette
sdlovette

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 17th April 2010, 11:24 pm

sdlovette wrote:do you use regular yarn? where do u get it from?

I used 100% acrylic by either Bernat (which comes pretty cheap) or Lion Brand (higher quality, a little more expensive). You can get either one from an arts and craft store in your area, or from Mary Maxim.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 18th April 2010, 2:06 am

Wow, I have never heard of yarn braids. Time to go investigate!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 18th April 2010, 11:39 pm

I'm gonna try some at the end of the month...I know its gonna take me a few days lol
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 19th April 2010, 12:08 am

NaturalTina wrote:I'm gonna try some at the end of the month...I know its gonna take me a few days lol

My very first set took me TWO DAYS to get done. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But by the fourth set, I was bustin' them out in about ten hours. So the more you do them, the faster you'll get. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 19th April 2010, 7:45 pm

thanks for givin me a little hope mika!!! lol i'll probably have to take some time off to get it done
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down