CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker

+3
SilverKurls
letha
NaturalMahogany
7 posters

Go down

Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker Empty Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker

Post by NaturalMahogany 17th November 2010, 12:55 am

Over the past week, I have seriously been contemplating getting my hair relaxed. After an evening with friends, I noticed how they swayed their luxurious, long, healthy looking hair in my face. Oh how I was so jealous! I miss my the length of my hair. I miss the smooth and straight texture. I also miss that if I do not have time to do my hair, all I had to do was relax my hair. Being a new mommy can be struggle because I do not have time to try new styles or manage my hair the way I want to. Now, my decision to go natural was not based off the movie "good hair" as a lot of people think it is. It was really spiritual rejuvenation and to feel close to my mother since she passed 3 years ago. Her whole life she never had a relaxer and her hair was gorgeous. Ladies, this is a tough decision. I have such a strong urge to relax my hair and I do not know why. I need help and support because I have really been going strong with my natural hair journey and I do not want it to end. HELP!

Desperate Natural

http://naturalmahogany.blogspot.com confused

NaturalMahogany

http://naturalmahogany.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker Empty Re: Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 8:42 am

Hang in there.. You can have your hair flowing too but without the chemicals.. I know it's hard but what keeps me motivated is the reason why I decided to do it anyway.. You still have to care for your hair if you relax it and just slapping that in your head does not mean your solution is solved its only temporary.. I am not a new mom or a mom but I have issues also not being able to try new styles so I keep my faithful old fake ponytail that's in the Avatar.. One lady told me that during her whole process of transitioning she kept her hair in a bun expect for days she wanted to flat iron. If that off chance you do have time practice on some new styles then and just watch plenty of You-tube videos to get ideas.. Don't get me wrong I get bored with the same style but I look at it as being my reward when I am completely natural. Now I look at natural heads and saw I can't wait. Especially when I see the natural ladies hair on this board that is more motivation for me too..

The ultimate decision is up to you but don't rush into it because it may sound like a good idea now but soon as you get that relaxer you may regret it..Keep your head up and stay strong..

cheers
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker Empty Re: Transitioning Woes: The struggles of a ex-creamy cracker

Post by SilverKurls 17th November 2010, 5:23 pm

Chiming in with what letha said. Don't rush into it. I have just started transitioning and have no idea of what you are feeling. MY daughter on the other hand BC to a twa and then when she got apl, relaxed again. All because she felt like she would have more choices. Now 1 year later she regrets that she relaxed and instead of BC this time, she is going to transition with me. She was so inspired by some of her friends natural styles and she wished that she would have had more patience and waited it out. Hang in there.

SilverKurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 17th November 2010, 8:40 pm

My suggestions would be to postpone your decision to relax your hair. If it's something you truly want to do, then you will still feel this way in a few days. Remember the reasons why you chose to transition: to feel closer to your mother. I personally don't think having healthy relaxed hair is any easier than having healthy natural hair. A lot of time and energy goes into achieving both. Also, think about some easy go to styles to use for when your too busy to style your hair. I've been wearing my hair in a bun for the past week. I change the location of the bun every two days so that I don't put too much stress on my hair, and I jazz up my look by experimenting with different accessories.

Another good option would be to get a sew-in. This way you could achieve the straight look without putting chemicals in your hair.

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 18th November 2010, 12:37 am

I have really been going strong with my natural hair journey and I do not want it to end.

Hold on to that feeling & don't let go. Take it one day at a time.
I don't want to overanalyze but don't underestimate the impact of being a new Mommy, it is a major lifestyle change.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalMahogany 19th November 2010, 1:45 am

Thanks for your inspiration! Good luck on your journey!

NaturalMahogany

http://naturalmahogany.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 20th November 2010, 2:16 am

I agree....just take it one day at a time.....
although I'm transitioning, I am a student, mommy, and wife and at this point don't have lots of time or money to try out new styles, for now I am blow drying and using a flat iron bi-weekly, then I just wrap instead of applying heat everyday ....

Good Luck on your journey
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 27th November 2010, 1:09 pm

Remember its easy to do what you have always done but its hard to do something new.

Stay focused and remember that in one year or so your hair will be flowing down your back as well. It will be healthy and natural. Now its time to moisturize and protect!
afro
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down