CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you guys deal with you parents reaction?

+3
naturallychelsea
Bun_Ana
QuirkyCurly
7 posters

Go down

How did you guys deal with you parents reaction? Empty How did you guys deal with you parents reaction?

Post by QuirkyCurly 25th October 2010, 7:13 pm

So I went natural in Jan 2010 and I haven't really been straighten my hair (except for trims). I live at home with my family because I don't want to pay for dorm room fees. Anyway, Im about sick of my mothers comments about my hair. She keeps asking me "When am i going to straighten it?." She even offers to press my hair!! And now all of the sudden she wants to take me to the salon to get blow and gos to "train" it, something she never offered in high school when everyone was teasing me about how nappy my hair was. Everyone else in my family has embraced it and encouraged me to keep my hair curly. They even beg me not to wear weaves! But she has yet to come around, after 10 months of being natural. I'm really considering moving down south w/ a relative just so i don't hear the comments. See, you can yell and cuss at a stranger, but you can't do that with your mother.

How did you guys deal with this? Because I don't want to be disrespectful, but I really just want to let her have it!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

How did you guys deal with you parents reaction? Empty Re: How did you guys deal with you parents reaction?

Post by Bun_Ana 25th October 2010, 7:26 pm

I know exactly what you mean. My mom is ALWAYS asking me to straighten my hair. Its about APL while curly, which she thinks is just too short. Suspect She's got naturally jet black 2a-3a hair down to her waist. She thinks I'm trying not to look like her. Rolling Eyes

As far as dealing with it, I just try (not necessarily successfully) to explain that this is the way I'm most comfortable with my hair and it has nothing to do with her. And I give in and let her straighten it every once and a while to give her that "mother-daughter bonding over hair" moment. Lol.
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How did you guys deal with you parents reaction? Empty Re: How did you guys deal with you parents reaction?

Post by naturallychelsea 26th October 2010, 12:43 am

Ignore and keep it moving. At first I tried to educate but I realised that they didn't want to listen but merely insult and try to conform. I simply say it's not happening and don't budge in a respectful way and I never waiver as it just creates a loophole for them. Having said that I do compromise like I remove my twists for church and stick to ponytails and reserve the rest of the week for protective styles etc.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 27th October 2010, 2:53 am

When i bc-ed, my mom kept trying to convince me to get a texturizer because it would "loosen" my curls and make them more "manageable" (keep in mind i JUST bc-ed so how unmanageable could my once inch of hair be?). I told her that texturizers were pretty much mild relaxers and that the whole point of going natural was to keep my natural curls but she still insisted. After a few weeks she finally stopped pushing the subject. My dad on the other hand has locks so when i told him i went natural he started dancing lol!
Cherry: extraordinary!
Cherry: extraordinary!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. CiCi 29th October 2010, 12:25 am

My mom hates it when it's out and my dad hates it period. I don't care b/c a) I'm technically paying my own way & b) it's MY HAIR! I don't care what anybody says. It's MINE
Mz. CiCi
Mz. CiCi

http://lesisworld.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 29th October 2010, 12:40 am

Mz. CiCi wrote:My mom hates it when it's out and my dad hates it period. I don't care b/c a) I'm technically paying my own way & b) it's MY HAIR! I don't care what anybody says. It's MINE

Lol I know thats right girl! I also pay for all my hair products and she still complains on how I spend too much on beauty products. Idc though
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. CiCi 29th October 2010, 12:44 am

NaturalSinceBirth wrote:
Mz. CiCi wrote:My mom hates it when it's out and my dad hates it period. I don't care b/c a) I'm technically paying my own way & b) it's MY HAIR! I don't care what anybody says. It's MINE

Lol I know thats right girl! I also pay for all my hair products and she still complains on how I spend too much on beauty products. Idc though
I buy my own stuff & if it doesn't work, I send it to her! lol
Mz. CiCi
Mz. CiCi

http://lesisworld.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mickey1220 30th October 2010, 2:10 pm

My mom is very condescending about my hair. i mean shes not mean but shell say things like well ur heads to big or thats just not ur look and i just brush it off but i cant stand it. her and my little sister both are on the cc and they always want to talk about my naps. that is sooo annoying!
mickey1220
mickey1220

Back to top Go down

Post by emoo2342 30th October 2010, 7:19 pm

I flat out ignored it. It was my dad who bothered me about my hair though. When I ot my hair cut he frankly said "I don't like it" I laughed and said, "you don't have to, it's my hair and I love it. Don't like it? Don't look at it.It's that simple." my dad and I have a close relationship though, so he rags on me, I pick on him...basically, we can both give it and take it with no hard feelings at the end of the day. When your mom says something about you straightening your hair, ask her when she's gonna do something about her hair...just not in a rude way..otherwise she may tell you off.^_^ Or you could just sit her down and tell her that you don't like her remarks about your hair.
emoo2342
emoo2342

Back to top Go down

Post by mickey1220 4th November 2010, 8:21 pm

Hahaha thank you and i triend that and she started getting all passionate about how and why she uses perms and how theyre this and that and yada yada yada lol but now I just straight up ignore her, as long as im not "embarrasin" her in public i'm good lol
mickey1220
mickey1220

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down