CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB'

+17
meepmeep1101
thetiffany
Lynnieluve
deeply_rooted_chick
Happy2B
Treece
QuirkyCurly
Free2Be
ladygogohot
Neems
Naturally Esq
BlakButterfli
Madeaj
sweetdrk1
CurlyNMixed
tiashaunteé
sjoyreed
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB' Empty SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB'

Post by sjoyreed 18th October 2010, 3:24 pm

Kohl's Department Store unveiled a curly "Ghetto Fab" wig for Halloween

http://bglhonline.com/2010/10/kohls-unveils-curly-ghetto-fab-wig-for-halloween/

I'd love to go in, but I'm trying to keep my energy positive and fluid today. However, this is some 'fragglenaggle' bull. Ladies, please call in and express your concerns with the company.
sjoyreed
sjoyreed

Back to top Go down

SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB' Empty Re: SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB'

Post by tiashaunteé 18th October 2010, 3:44 pm

tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB' Empty Re: SO THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL 'GHETTO FAB'

Post by CurlyNMixed 18th October 2010, 3:58 pm

That is very insulting... I will definitely be calling in!
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th October 2010, 4:01 pm

Ditto that..I am calling right now!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 18th October 2010, 4:03 pm

I sent them an email with the correct definition of Ghetto, since they are under the wrong impression that a ghetto is something fun and curly.

Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 18th October 2010, 4:13 pm

I am calling asap when I get off work! smh
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 18th October 2010, 4:17 pm

tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 18th October 2010, 4:43 pm

I suggest that you go to www.kohls.com, search for the wig, register, and leave your comment. then Kohls and everyone who visits that product area will see you comment. That is what I did!!

Hurry. I heard that they are removing the wig from their website.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 18th October 2010, 5:00 pm

I left my comment, which will take "72 hours" to appear
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 18th October 2010, 5:06 pm

I was planning to make a comment. I think I'll just call and hit them up on twitter.

Update: I did a bit of Google research and it appears that the wig manufacturer,California Costumes, is at fault. Along with Kohls addressing the issue, the manufacturer (http://www.californiacostumes.com/search/node/ghetto+fab+wig)should do that same. The name on the packaging needs to be changed. In my opinion, "afro" or "curly afro" would be more appropriate.

Last edited by Neems on 18th October 2010, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more info)
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 18th October 2010, 5:08 pm

Neems wrote:I was planning to make a comment. I think I'll just call and hit them up on twitter.

Twitter is even better!!! Great idea!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 18th October 2010, 5:13 pm

I just got on twitter and the #naturalhair ladies went in on Kohls! They are removing the wig.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 18th October 2010, 5:18 pm

Yeah, I saw it. They went in on them. I'm taking issue with the manufacturer, the source of the name on the packaging. Once I craft a draft letter, I'll post it.
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 18th October 2010, 5:33 pm

Calling right now....this is insulting, i bet they won't do this again Evil or Very Mad
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 18th October 2010, 6:17 pm

PLEASE send your comments via email to the manufactuer/distributor:

E ccc@californiacostumes.com

Yes, I did. Thanks

Sorry for the editing but the emial address will not post correctly E ccc@californiacostumes.com

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 18th October 2010, 6:21 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : email address correction)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 18th October 2010, 8:07 pm

As of 6PM/CST there's a little white screen that says "This item is no longer available." BUT the photo is still there. When I tried to click the link to read the 5 reviews, it didn't show me anything.

Glad someone saw this and went to work on it. Unbelievable.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 19th October 2010, 1:46 am

They're also apologizing up and down on their twitter page. I'm thinking this might make the news or something.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 19th October 2010, 2:27 am

Well I was upset until I went on Facebook, and decided to see if anyone was complaining there (because I don't use Twitter), and unfortunately, I have to say people are overreacting. Every black person is justified in being upset by this, but forcing Kohl's to do something beyond their power is absurd seeing as how most of us don't know how companies run their websites, or whatever they're doing in the background. I am at least happy to see them trying to resolve it, instead of saying: "Screw you"

I know all too well how people can let their emotions get the best of them in situations.

What I would like to know is why it went up or why it was purchased to begin with.

I guess in the end, some things don't bother me that much. In 2010, I'm not surprised by anything anymore.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy2B 19th October 2010, 11:28 am

I guess a lot of vendors thought this would be a big hit for halloween b/c there are several website that popped up in my Google search. We need to bombard them all with our complaints. Here are few of the websites that I found:

yandy.com
amazon.com
customecraze.com
deepdiscount.com
odgirl.com
Happy2B
Happy2B

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th October 2010, 11:30 am

Happy2B wrote:I guess a lot of vendors thought this would be a big hit for halloween b/c there are several website that popped up in my Google search. We need to bombard them all with our complaints. Here are few of the websites that I found:

yandy.com
amazon.com
customecraze.com
deepdiscount.com
odgirl.com

I found even more than that. The manufacturer has a stupid marketing team
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 19th October 2010, 11:45 am

Treece wrote:Well I was upset until I went on Facebook, and decided to see if anyone was complaining there (because I don't use Twitter), and unfortunately, I have to say people are overreacting. Every black person is justified in being upset by this, but forcing Kohl's to do something beyond their power is absurd seeing as how most of us don't know how companies run their websites, or whatever they're doing in the background. I am at least happy to see them trying to resolve it, instead of saying: "Screw you"

I know all too well how people can let their emotions get the best of them in situations.

What I would like to know is why it went up or why it was purchased to begin with.

I guess in the end, some things don't bother me that much. In 2010, I'm not surprised by anything anymore.

I see where you're coming from
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th October 2010, 5:38 pm

Kohls took it off their website. It's says it is no longer available. lol!

You curly girls are 'bout it' 'bout it' Laughing
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 19th October 2010, 7:45 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Kohls took it off their website. It's says it is no longer available. lol!

lol at "bout it bout it"
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 20th October 2010, 1:19 am

Lynnieluve wrote:

lmao....Very Happy

I was taken by this wig thing too. I bet there are no african american people on that marketing team..lol
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 20th October 2010, 3:28 pm

So here's the letter I sent to the wig company. Feel free to comment or borrow the language.

Dear California Costumes:

Earlier this week a product listed as the "Ghetto Fab" wig was pulled off Kohls.com. After a little searching I was able to discern that California Costumes is the manufacturer (http://www.californiacostumes.com/search/node/ghetto+fab+wig). If I am incorrect please let me know in order that I forward may complaint to right company. If you are indeed the manufacturers and creators of the item's packaging the following is directed towards you.

Although, the wig is still available from many other online retailers I would like to inform you that I disappointed in the name chosen for this product. By listing the product as "Ghetto Fab" online and in the packaging it is insensitive and offensive to a large community of people. As a person with Afro textured hair, I can say the label "Gehtto fab' is incorrect. "Ghetto Fab" does not describe the hairstyle the wig depicts. Actually, there is nothing ghetto about naturally kinky and curly hair. The wig replicates an 'Afro' or kinky and curly hair and that is how it should be labelled. In my opinion using an out of context pop culture slang references is bad business. Additionally, kinky and curly hair along with the word ghetto is not exclusive to black-Americans so implying that this hair texture is ghetto is rude and ill-informed.

Note: According to Mirriam- Webster Dictionary ghetto has three definitions and none of them refer to hair.
1. a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3 a : an isolated group (a geriatric ghetto)
b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity (the pink-collar ghetto)

Thank-you,

Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next