CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healthy hair from within

+12
Mz. CiCi
yacoomba
misskris
QueenSheba
cluelesscurl
Afronique
Free2BMe :)
Curlock Holmes
foxfro
greenyourdecor
Fleur
naturallynola
16 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Healthy hair from within Empty Healthy hair from within

Post by naturallynola 16th October 2010, 10:44 pm

Ladies, I have decided to go back to basics. We get caught up in the outward and forget that health starts from within. We are truly what we eat and other behaviors and exposures. Some we have no control over, but some we do. On that note, I am going to focus on the things I know affect the skin positively and we all know hair is an extension of our skin. So, the challenge is to do all the internal things possible to yield healthy hair. Notice I did not say long hair. The length will take care of itself if the scalp and hair are healthy. This is what I am doing effective TODAY:

1. 10 - 15 minute message daily
2. 30 minute message weekly (great opp to use some of these ayurvedic oils since I wash my hair about every 6 days.)
3. Take a good vitamin daily
Research the vitamins and minerals important in hair health. For every vitamin, there is a corresponding mineral to enhance absorption.
5. Protein (keratin) from within, esp. since I am protein product sensitive.
6. Here's a biggie - STRESS that will get you! So much hair loss, thinning, and condition relates to stress - LET GO AND LET GOD AND MOVE ON!
7. Eat for hair health

Hope plenty of my fellow curlies will get onboard this healthy hair train. Are you with me? Tell me what you are going to do from the inside out.

Notice there is no expiration to this hair challenge because it should be a way of life. When you know better, you do better.

Peace out fellow curlies

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Healthy hair from within Empty Re: Healthy hair from within

Post by Fleur 16th October 2010, 11:55 pm

I am 100% dedicated to this challenge. You can't promote healthy hair and skin with products and oils alone. I take Juice Plus vitamins which are a ridiculous amount of berries or veggies grounded into a capsule. I also take folic acid tablets which helped my hair grow fast both relaxed and natural--waaay better than biotin. Folic acid is also helps with hair loss to a degree. I am also really am trying to eat healthy and exercise more. I used to be so fit when I lived on the military post. Now I work in a pediatric clinic and literally eat on the go. So, I am going to make a change! I want to be a good example for my children.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 17th October 2010, 12:08 am

We can't forget to stay hydrated!

Here is a link for healthy hair from within and really this pretty much sums it up. This is the site developed for the Lance Armstrong Cancer Foundation. The information is accurate, reliable, and science-based.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/134027-the-best-foods-eat-healthy-hair-growth/

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th October 2010, 8:29 pm

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by greenyourdecor 22nd October 2010, 4:58 pm

I really need a challenge like this to keep me on track. I'll be completely honest. I don't drink enough water, my diet is definitely less than healthy, and I never rememeber to take vitamins consistently, even with reminders from my husband.

I'm up for this, in hopes that taking this challenge with others who are trying to do the same thing will help me stay on track.

I'm going to start taking my multivitamin and iron pills every day, and I will push myself to drink the recommended 8 glasses of water daily. The easiest way to get myself to do that is to have water next to me all day as I'm working, so I'll pull out my Sigg bottle even when I'm home (I work from home).
greenyourdecor
greenyourdecor

http://guillotineco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd October 2010, 6:16 pm

We can help keep each other on track. I will be posting info periodically to share. All these external products and no health from within is not going to give ultimate results. I posted a protein calculator on this site somewhere. Take a look at that. Lack of protein due to a health issue is a challenge for me, but I am working on it aggressively. Short version: green leafy veggies, citrus fruits, variety of nuts, avocados, olive oil, fish, beef, chicken, lamb, water, lentils/beans, dairy, and multi grains. Sufficient quantities of those foods daily and we are good to go. That basically sums it up. More specifics to come.

Let's each say what our challenge is in eating the foods mentioned above and fellow challengers can suggest ways to make these foods less challenging. What are your thoughts?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th October 2010, 11:48 pm

I have got to put together a better plan to get more protein. So many foods high in protein I can't eat. Its only so much tuna you can eat and beans, although I love them, are so heavy, I can't eat much. Ah, the challenges when you have a chronic health condition that limits your food intake! I think I will go back to drinking Boost low glucose shakes. Anybody have any ideas, give me a shout out. I am weary of alot of these supplements, but I might have to start investigating them.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by foxfro 30th October 2010, 2:08 am

I will commit to changing my internal healthy hair habits. Recently, I had to begin a low sodium diet, since that occured my hair is now dry and dull. I've consistantly taken B12 2500 mg sublingual lozengers (vitamins that disolve under the tounge), that and One A Day for Women was not enough. I now take Flaxseed Oil (smoothie taste, love it!), Silicea, Bioten, Vitamen D and a minimum of 64 ozs of water per day. Because I eat raw vegetables and other low sodium food, I do not take in as much protein as before. I attempt to eat fish and chicken, but on the fly most grilled fast food is loaded with sodium. I will increase my excercise from 0 hours per week to a minum of 30 minutes 5 times per week. Hopefully the internal change will aid the products I've invested in on the outside (almond oil, coconut oil and a hair steamer). Good luck fellow curlies! afro

foxfro

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 30th October 2010, 2:40 am

I'm going to *try* and do my best for this one-- I want to have a healthier lifestyle not just for my hair, but for my body and mind as well! Since I graduated from college my activity and diet has been pretty atrocious, but all that is about to change very soon! I plan on 1) eating healthier meals and incorporating healthy snacks into my day 2) reducing the amount of sugar I eat DRASTICALLY (this has it's own because I am a dessert JUNKIE) 3) taking my vitamins regularly 4) exercising at 3-4 times a week MINIMUM and 5) drinking enough water. I'm awful at #5 because I don't get thirsty and can seriously go an entire day without drinking any H20 Sad.

Good luck ladies!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2BMe :) 30th October 2010, 3:06 pm

I am definitely into this challenge. I have been drinking a lot more water and not only is my new growth much softer but my face looks more hydrated. Eating right will be hard for me but I'll try my best. I take vitamins about 5 times a week but I ran out so I'm waiting for my mom to buy more. I hope I really stick to this challenge.

http://xoxo-chichi.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 3rd November 2010, 9:27 pm

Ladies, maybe we can report on our successes/challenges once a week and help each other along as needed. My challenge is still getting enough protein, so I am looking into a nutritional supplement like low glucose Boost. Anybody else have any ideas? As a reminder, my difficulty is because I have a chronic illness that does not allow me to eat meats and beans and lentils I can eat, but not alot. I eat nuts, but sparingly also.

Free2beme - make your goal 8 glasses of water. Get a 32 oz size cup and all strive to drink 1 the first half of the day and the 2nd the last half of the day.

CurlyDee See my suggestion for Free2beme and also if you like bananas, peanut butter and apples, try this/ slice an apple and dip it in peanut butter. As another snack you can put peanut butter on slice bananas. It is very tasty. Cheese and crackers makes a good snake too. If you like yogurt, that is a good snack. Just a few suggestions.

Foxfro - how is your healthy challenge coming along?

Greeyourdecor - How are things coming with the water, vitamins, and the healthy food?

Fleur? How are things coming with your healthy changes?

Ladies, anybody have any good, healthy, simple recipes, that might help too.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Afronique 4th November 2010, 6:25 am

I want in on this...... I plan to massage every night before I go to bed with coconut oil.... I'm currently taking ALIVE wholefood ene. Multivitmains....which is all natural it's nothing more then powdered fruits and veggies basically it's not chemically induced this stuff is wonderful!!!!!!!!!! I plan to make fitness my focal point as well because fitness helps lower stress levels which in turn will help my hair........ Also laying off the sugars and processed foods and eating more organic and natural foods afro

Afronique

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 4th November 2010, 5:24 pm

I'm up for this challenge as well.

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 4th November 2010, 6:10 pm

Clueless,

Let us know what you would like to achieve. Some are focusing on water, some (me) protein and fatty acids, etc. What do you feel your need is?

Afronique - I have been a sugar addict my entire life. I managed to get it in check though. Now, I treat myself to a little dessert once a week.

Ladies, I will post the top 5 nutrients to shoot for in the quest for "healthy hair."

We can keep each other in check!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Afronique 5th November 2010, 8:04 am

Hey this is coming from a sugar addict herself lol......but I'm doing better lol

Afronique

Back to top Go down

Post by foxfro 6th November 2010, 12:49 am

Hi Afronique, thanks for the accountability! My healthy challenge is going well, in addition to the above I've commited to working out. I love Comcast's On Demand fitness selections. 10, 20 or 30 minute pilates, the best work out for toning! As far as my hair goes, the chill that has hit Tennesse has dried my hair some. An increase of almond oil has relieved me of that problem thank goodness. I appreciate the challenge of focusing on the inside out, lets keep it up everyone!

foxfro

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 6th November 2010, 1:13 am

I promised some nutrients to focus on for healthy hair, so here they are:

protein
silica
Omega fatty acids (3 and 6)
Vitamins A and C
Zinc
Selenium

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 6th November 2010, 10:06 pm

Restarted my prenatal vitamins and began hemp seed oil supplement today. So, this should help!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenSheba 18th November 2010, 1:41 pm

I really need this challenge!! I eat healthy. Theres always fresh fruit and veggie's in the house and that seems to be the only thing in the house that stays stocked!! My down fall is with drinking enough water and researching the vitamins I take. I just take it for granted that "the vitamin must be good" it says so on the bottle. I may have to put a post-it on my fridge to remind me to drink 8 glasses of water! I'm hoping that this challege will not be so much of a challenge but more of a routine that I dont have to think about. Thanks so much for getting me started!!
QueenSheba
QueenSheba

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th November 2010, 9:28 pm

Well ladies, how is everyone doing with this? I am doing pretty well. Ran out of Hibiscus tea, so I am trying to eat more citrus for the Vit C. I have learned to like the taste of the Hemp Milk and the Hemp Seed Oil is thick, but not so bad on food. I went to WF yesterday and picked up 2 protein supplements (trials), so I hope to have my protein deficiency in check. I have to while I still have hair and nails left!

Afronique - how is that sugar addiction?

Clueless - what are you working on (what's your weakness?)

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 18th November 2010, 10:33 pm

Hey ladies, hope you all are doing well!

I'm doing a little better with drinking more water, and trying to buy snacks that I'll like (I've rekindled my love for pears.. mmm, pears). I keep forgetting to take my vitamins though, so I need to work on that for sure. And the sugar addiction.... still not in check. The holiday season will not help things.

Do you guys have any vitamin recommendations?
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th November 2010, 10:42 pm

Don't forget about nuts, yogurt, , cheese, and peanut butter. They all make good snacks. I like taking prenatal vitamins. You don't need a prescription.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 19th November 2010, 3:25 pm

This challenge sounds great. I have recently been looking for ways to take better care of my hair. I have been natural for about 14 almost 15 years. Recently I noticed that my hair has thinned out and I have always had really thick hair. I think it's broken off because I see quite a bit of short hairs after twisting it. Possibly due to stress since I have been unable to find a job, 4 kids that get on my nerves ( Evil or Very Mad LOL) and God knows what else. confused I have also been trying to be better about my eating but that has always been a struggle for me as well.

@ naturalnolagirl-- I started to get some more prenatals too because when I was prego my hair and nails were amazing. But after comparing the vitamins in the prenatals and women's one a day (equate brand-cheaper) the women's one a day actually had the same and then some in it so I just bought that. And I am taking a B-complex which is good for skin and hair.

Hope we can all achieve the healthy hair, and body we seek. Smile
Peace and Blessings! Smile
~Kristen
afro
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 19th November 2010, 5:20 pm

Maladud, thxs for the heads-up. I actually have a script from my doc for the prenatals, but I will do a bit of comparing. I was really focusing on folic acid, and the cript version has more than the OTC. Folic Acid is the unsung hero for healthy hair.

Stress is no joke and def plays a major role on hair health. If you can, try to find a diversion (this forum is one for me), fun activity like biking, tennis, bowling, etc. and the major one that is not always so easy-- leaving it at the foot of the CROSS! Blessings and peace.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 19th November 2010, 5:35 pm

Thank you. I def like the "leaving it at the foot of the Cross" but you're right, sometimes that doesn't seem as easy as it should be. It's just hard for me to destress because I stay at home with my youngest who is SO clingy. I can't even use the bathroom in peace!! I kid you not! He will come BANG on the door and it sounds as if he'll bust it down---he is only 15 months old!!! LOL My husband is a football/baseball coach so although now he comes home earlier (off season), when the baseball season starts in a few weeks it will be like I am a single mom for the most part. Cuz when he gets home the kids are either IN the bed or about to be.

So anyway, I'm venting...sorry!!! LOL I make jewelry when I can, but again, with the kids, the time is not always easy to find. I exercise in the morning before they go off to school. That's about it. Biking sounds cool but I would have to buy a bike first and that's not in the budget right now!

Anyway, the guy at GNC last night said that Biotin was really good. He tried to sell me a $19 bottle of it but I was like, hmm, no thanks!! LOL It was 5000mg or something which he said is the highest amt they use for biotin. I may try it one day.

So thanks for the info. peace and blessings to you too!!! Smile

sorry so long!!! Like a Star @ heaven
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next