CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

box braids .

4 posters

Go down

box braids . Empty box braids .

Post by zinny 4a kinks 24th July 2010, 1:28 am

i have box braids right now and i think i moisturize well - but im so scared that because i cant see my hair and dont know how its doing that i am not taking care of it well !! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] im so worried i despise these braids ! does your hair return to normal after braids ?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] how do you care for your hair ? pleeease help me out !!
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

http://twitter.com/C_Ezinne_O

Back to top Go down

box braids . Empty Re: box braids .

Post by rayray19 24th July 2010, 2:52 am

hey I have Senegalese twist in now..I've had them for about a month now and take good care of them by

-Deep conditioning them once a week (yep I stuff all my braids under a cap and sit under dyer) with AO Honeysuckle Rose

-I also co-wash once a week to remove build with Giovanna SAS Deep moisture conditioner..

-after I apply giovanni direct leave in to my scalp and braids and seal with coconut oil or Shea butter.

so pretty much I treat my braids just like my real hair..and to moisturize my braids throughout the week I make a spritz mixture in a bottle with a little bit of the giovanni direct leave in, EVOO, Castor oil, and water. I spray this on my hair like 2 times a day to prevent dry brittle scaple. And when my braids itch the CRAP out of me I oil my scalp with just Castor oil since it so thick

Just remember to keep your braids moisturized and try to remove product build up

hope I help [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 24th July 2010, 3:38 am

Omg ! thankyou so much you have helped a TON . i didnt think i could treat my hair the same . Im so glad i asked now and not later -seriously thnx bunches !!
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 24th July 2010, 3:48 am

welcome!!! a lot of people think this but braids are just the protective style what real counts is your hair underneath oh yea and to prevent the braids from frizzing when washing I heard you can braid the box braids into like 4 big braids and use your fingers to wash the scalp but I always forget to do this and just wash them out and they look real good to be a month old
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 24th July 2010, 11:24 am

oh oky ! thanks for the greaaat advice
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 25th July 2010, 4:50 am

I DEFINITELY do not treat my hair the same. I have had box braids like 10 times in my life so I have experience there

If you wash box braids, deep condition, add mousse, etc and it is synthetic hair it will just matte at the little knot and cause your hair to break off when you take them out.

What I do is use braid spray about every 3 days to keep the hair moist. I leave them in 8 weeks. If you reeeeaaally want to wash them use that no water shampoo

If you leave them in longer than 8 weeks I would highly suggest redoing the 3 rows around ears, nape, and hairline at some point since that area produces the most oil and any longer than 8 weeks I can't promise there won't be matting

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 25th July 2010, 3:11 pm

With box braids, I apply coconut oil to my scalp every few days and then I co wash my hair when the buildup has become too much. I really don't do much to my braids because I'm always doing something.

I agree with krys315 about the longer than 8 week braids. I always redo two rows around those areas when I leave braids in for longer than 2 months.
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 25th July 2010, 4:28 pm

wow really?? I've had box braids, micros, and kinky twist several times before and always wash them and never experienced matting at the knot of the braids..Ive always heard by not washing the braid the dirt and product build up is what forms the knot of the braid to become matted.

I came across this website about braid care yesterday you should visit:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 25th July 2010, 4:44 pm

Maybe it is specific hair types, because I washed mine before and it made the braids look so sloppy and took forever to dry them out.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I don't think it's bad to wash if you know what you're doing. I think it's products like mousse that cause the matting. So I suppose as long as you don';t add a bunch of products your hair should be fine

rayray good link

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 25th July 2010, 9:42 pm

wow krys315 maybe i should look into that b.c i really dont want any problems with my hair thats what i worry about its my first time having them while i was all natural . all i really wanna do is take them out lol

@mverde3 i never even thought about redoing those places - but i never keep them more than two months anyway - i hate them by the 6th week . and now that im natural i hate them past week 1 or 2 lol next weeked im removing them .

btw - idk if its just me , but why is it that after my second week or so my brais in the front seem to slide down or something and i have to remove them b.c theyre just like hanging by a thread i hate it . am i alone when it comes to this ??
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 25th July 2010, 10:03 pm

jamerican that is BAD
The last time i got braids (and only time this happened) my edges started slipping down because the girl put too much hair into my edges. It was 2 heavy and I took some out and 2 ripped out my edges and I saw 2 braids on the bathroom flow with my hair still attached from my hairline! So now I have to grow my edges back. nxt time tell them not to put a lot of hair there. I didnt know to say that because it NEVER happened to me before. Now I know.

So be careful of that

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 25th July 2010, 10:23 pm

WOW ! omg thnx [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .. thts terrible ..
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 26th July 2010, 12:55 am

yea alot of tension on those edges isn't good!! and @Jamerian I so agree with you Ive only had my braids for 3 weeks and I'm dying to take them out so i can to my BC!!!!! every day i find myself taking out braids to feel my new growth
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 26th July 2010, 9:43 am

rayray19 wrote:yea alot of tension on those edges isn't good!! and @Jamerian I so agree with you Ive only had my braids for 3 weeks and I'm dying to take them out so i can to my BC!!!!! every day i find myself taking out braids to feel my new growth

RayRay, I am the same way. I have a lot of braids taken out in the back of my hair and I just twist them into single twists. You can't even notice them and there are a lot lol. I'm BCing August 3rd or 4th. But most likely the 4th Smile
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 26th July 2010, 12:21 pm

Lol my whole back is out too I already big chop the back pretty much..now I just gotta take these front out and I'm good..and wow our BC are going to be kind of close I'm going to cut mines on aug 20th!! I can't wait i ve bought soo many accesories to spice up my twa!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 26th July 2010, 12:35 pm

Aww yeah I am excited as well. Smile
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by zinny 4a kinks 26th July 2010, 1:25 pm

@rayray and mverde good luck on your big chops !!! and we r all the same lol i have so many twist of my own hair where ive removed braids lol friday night im removing them i cant take it .. and i love the feeling of my hair - even though its all natural i still wanna feel my new growth alot b.c i had it blow dried first - do you guys usually blow dry ??
and the lady that did my hair this time will never do them again because i found pairs of braids - attached at my hair .. wth .. and in the back i found a chain of four . i despise that lady . now i feel like she messed up my hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . because of this im more afraid of what my hair will be when i remove them .
zinny 4a kinks
zinny 4a kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down