CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help need good leave in and curl definition

+8
CrissyQ
kinkerbelle
ChrsLvsBks
elleeccentric
freckledmom4
laleepop14
jlowman1
curlysunshinee
12 posters

Go down

help need good leave in and curl definition Empty help need good leave in and curl definition

Post by curlysunshinee 7th July 2010, 4:42 pm

Hey ladies...does anyone know of a GREAT leave in and curl definition product? I want to try Kinky curl but not sure....need help
curlysunshinee
curlysunshinee

Back to top Go down

help need good leave in and curl definition Empty Re: help need good leave in and curl definition

Post by jlowman1 7th July 2010, 5:11 pm

Some great leave ins I've used are:

Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk
Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Kinky Curly Knot Today

As far as curl definers, I'm not sure...

Hope this helps!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

help need good leave in and curl definition Empty Re: help need good leave in and curl definition

Post by laleepop14 7th July 2010, 5:21 pm

That helped me!!! I am in search og a great leave in and I already love the giovanni's so maybe I should stick with it..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 7th July 2010, 7:21 pm

I'll be watching this thread as well. I recently bc'ed and what I used before doesn't work now. I was using shea moisture curl milk, but now that I am using eco styler for wngs I keep getting little white balls in my hair-ugh! Today I revisited JC leave in, no white balls, but its not thick enough. As for curl definition-I'm totally lost. I 've heard that it takes a while after the big chop for the curlies to show up.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by elleeccentric 7th July 2010, 10:58 pm

Giovanni Direct is THE BEST product ive ever used. I prefer it over the knot today. It's soooo worth the $8

@freckled what helps me combat whit flakes with eco when i do wash-n-gos is to do a rinse with water after i've applied the gel. I rinse with water for about 5-10 seconds then shake, shake, shake. it helps the curls to clump and with flakes
elleeccentric
elleeccentric

http://twitter.com/elleeccentric

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 8th July 2010, 12:33 pm

Thanks elleccentric! I'll try that.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by curlysunshinee 8th July 2010, 9:12 pm

thanks everyone for the posts.....
curlysunshinee
curlysunshinee

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th July 2010, 11:44 pm

A good leave in and moisturizer will likely define your curls. I'm assuming you see curls when your hair is wet and you want them to stay. I agree with the recommendations. A gel or similar product can help your curls hold. Many use Eco styler custard. Other options include HE Set Me Up gel, la bella, AO B5, flax seed gel and LA Sport.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 9th July 2010, 3:05 pm

Okay, I tried the suggestions and I'm loving my hair today. I moisturized last night with my curl milk and sealed the ends. This morning, I just wet my hair in the shower and applied ecostyler mixed with smooth and shine. I worked the product into my hair (while showering) then rinsed my hair for a few seconds. When i got out I did a couple of shakes and pats with a tshirt. Ta-da! So pleases with the results (my new avi).
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by kinkerbelle 9th July 2010, 3:34 pm

leave-ins for good definition (but soft hold):
SheaMoisture conditioner (the one with the yellow/gold label)
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner

Gels for good definition:
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
IC Fantasia with Sparklites
Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel

kinkerbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 9th July 2010, 4:00 pm

I use Tresseme flawless curls conditioner as a leave in tho define my curls. I have also use aubreys organice white camillia.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th July 2010, 4:13 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:Okay, I tried the suggestions and I'm loving my hair today. I moisturized last night with my curl milk and sealed the ends. This morning, I just wet my hair in the shower and applied ecostyler mixed with smooth and shine. I worked the product into my hair (while showering) then rinsed my hair for a few seconds. When i got out I did a couple of shakes and pats with a tshirt. Ta-da! So pleases with the results (my new avi).
Your smile in your avatar shows how pleased you are! Glad you found a way to get the results you like [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 11th July 2010, 12:09 am

freckledmom4 wrote:Okay, I tried the suggestions and I'm loving my hair today. I moisturized last night with my curl milk and sealed the ends. This morning, I just wet my hair in the shower and applied ecostyler mixed with smooth and shine. I worked the product into my hair (while showering) then rinsed my hair for a few seconds. When i got out I did a couple of shakes and pats with a tshirt. Ta-da! So pleases with the results (my new avi).

Your hair looks nice! What kind of hair milk and what do you use to seal your ends. What is the smooth and shine. I'm hoping my hair turns out a little moister (is that even a word?) tomorrow. I had my BC this morning and my hard was very dry most of the day. So this evening, I co-washed with the HEHH and DC with TBH Moist Maniac and put on a satin cap for 30 min. I used the Hawaiin 14-n-1 as my leave in. I used my mixture of water and EVOO and then raked the Eco Styler Gel w/OO for a wash and go. I'm going to sleep with my satin bonnet. Will see what happens in the morning.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 11th July 2010, 3:11 pm

I used coconut/hibiscus curl milk by shea miosture (sold at target). I seal my ends with shea butter or coconut oil. Smooth & Shine is a curl activator gel that I got from Food Lion. The downside of this is that my hair takes forever to dry and I have to redo it in the morning b/c my curls are smashed flat to my head when I wake up. Last night I twisted my hair & let it dry over night because I didn't want to go to church with wet hair (it gets kind of cold in there). Still trying to figure this thing out.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 11th July 2010, 7:37 pm

Thanks @freckledmom4. I guess it's going to take time to get the hang of this. I woke up this morning and co-washed again, same routine, but used the ecko styling gel custard to help with the curls. It's looks better today than yesterday, but is a little crunchy.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 14th July 2010, 3:08 pm

Naturalin2010 wrote:Thanks @freckledmom4. I guess it's going to take time to get the hang of this. I woke up this morning and co-washed again, same routine, but used the ecko styling gel custard to help with the curls. It's looks better today than yesterday, but is a little crunchy.

Naturalin2010 love the new avi, looks like the BC went really well. You have the right mindset to take your time and get the hang of what your hair likes. I suggest starting a journal to keep up with products, what worked and didn't work, what your hair liked,didn't like and recipes. The crunchiness could be caused if you were a little too heavy handed with your ecocustard.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 14th July 2010, 3:11 pm

KimmayTube, a youtube naturalhair vlogger, has a recipe for a really nice homemade leave-in that my hair loves and many others have raved about.

1 oz Knot Today Leave-In (or your fave conditioner)
2 tablespoons of (Whole leaf version) Aloe Vera Juice with a pH 4.0 or 4.5
2 teaspoons of Castor Oil
2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil
Mix well.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 1st August 2010, 6:34 pm

carfi366 wrote:KimmayTube, a youtube naturalhair vlogger, has a recipe for a really nice homemade leave-in that my hair loves and many others have raved about.

Mix well.

I may have asked this in another forum or someone else has. So, forgive me. But, for a twist out would you put this on each individual section, then say some curl enhancer, then something to seal? I am still trying to learn all this and can a bit overwhelming. I want to revisit this mixture again.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 2nd August 2010, 10:18 am

Naturalin2010 wrote:
carfi366 wrote:KimmayTube, a youtube naturalhair vlogger, has a recipe for a really nice homemade leave-in that my hair loves and many others have raved about.

Mix well.

I may have asked this in another forum or someone else has. So, forgive me. But, for a twist out would you put this on each individual section, then say some curl enhancer, then something to seal? I am still trying to learn all this and can a bit overwhelming. I want to revisit this mixture again.

That's my routine, leave-in, moisturizer or curl definer, seal with a light oil. I also will use leave-in, moisturizer, a light coating of ecocustard or eco styler for curl definition, then seal.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Priss Pot 6th August 2010, 3:32 pm

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
Priss Pot
Priss Pot

Back to top Go down

Post by shortnsweet 24th August 2010, 12:47 am

I recently purchased JC leave-in. the pump is kinda aggravating...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. i was worried about how thin the product was because my hair is like a sponge! but once i divided the sections it left my hair really soft. i plan to use this for a little while longer and decide if this will become a staple in my daily regime...it seems like curlies are using a regular condish as a leave-in...i was worried about trying this method. any advice because i love suave naturalls in coconut and its really cheap...
shortnsweet
shortnsweet

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/tamara.e.gulley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down