CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk?

+8
Sleek
LuvMeLuvMyFro
R2D2
Naturally Nu*
Res Judicurls
envizionj
halfcurly
summerbreeze76
12 posters

Go down

Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk? Empty Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk?

Post by summerbreeze76 4th July 2010, 7:36 pm

I know i read that this mixed is used by someone on here, but now that i am looking for it i cant find it. Ive henna'd about 5 times since April. My initial mixed consisted of Henna and OJ, but i think the acid from OJ made my scalp itch. I then tried the green tea mixed with Henna and that was fine. My last two treatments i mixed with coconut milk. I add honey when i apply. I think i like this mixiture the most, mainly because it is so smooth and i dont smell the Henna forever after it has been rinsed out, seriously there is almost no lingering smell. Anyway since i having seen the post i mentioned, i was just wondering what you guys think about mixing Henna with CcmILK?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk? Empty Re: Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk?

Post by halfcurly 4th July 2010, 9:04 pm

I've been mixing 100g of BAQ Jamila Henna with about 4 oz of water and 4oz of coconut milk and also a few drops of coconut milk. This mixture is smooth but not runny and rinses out easily.
halfcurly
halfcurly

Back to top Go down

Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk? Empty Re: Anyone mix their Henna with Coconut Milk?

Post by halfcurly 4th July 2010, 9:05 pm

excuse me I meant a few drops of coconut oil!
halfcurly
halfcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 4th July 2010, 10:41 pm

Is there a reason you combine the mix with 1/2 ccm and 1/2 water? I end up using the entire can of milk and nothing else.
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by halfcurly 5th July 2010, 12:32 am

No reason at all and I usually end up wasting the remainder of the can of ccm.
Next time I'll add one cup and see what the consistency looks like.
halfcurly
halfcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 5th July 2010, 3:42 pm

SummerBreeze, you are looking for R2D2.

Here is a link to her posts...
http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/search.forum?search_author=R2D2&show_results=posts You may also send her a private message. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Res Judicurls 9th July 2010, 12:35 am

I've used coconut oil in my mixture with good results. I like the idea of coconut milk... it always leaves my hair soft. Thanks for the idea!
Res Judicurls
Res Judicurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 11th July 2010, 4:56 pm

I use coconut milk (recommended by R2D2) which works well for me!
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 12th July 2010, 9:30 pm

Hi yes, I'm the resident poster girl for coconut milk on this forum! I haven't been around for a while due to being on vacation and generally quite busy.

I'm glad you liked the mix. Like you, I experimented a bit with different mixtures to begin with at the beginning and found that I liked coconut milk the best. For me my hair was not quite as dry as when I used green tea and lemon juice and it also seemed easier to rinse out too. I think mixes are very personal though and like the fact that with hennaing you can chop and change as you prefer!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 13th July 2010, 10:13 pm

I have used both the coconut oil and the coconut milk in my henna mixes but right now I *heart* my henna mixed with yogurt and coconut oil.
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleek 17th July 2010, 6:43 pm

I'm going to try the Henna with yogurt

Sleek

Back to top Go down

Post by EbonyQueen 28th July 2010, 1:25 pm

I'm 95% positive that you all have heard about the coconut and lime treatment used to loosen the hair's natural curl pattern. If not:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=69647

I was also reading that you need to add some type of acid to the henna:
http://www.ancientsunrise.com/blackkit/index.html (keep going down until you reach the center of the page, it should be around there).

So do you think adding coconut milk and lime to the henna would boost the loosening effect on the hair? Has anyone tried it?
EbonyQueen
EbonyQueen

https://www.facebook.com/ImperialDiamond

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 28th July 2010, 8:06 pm

@Ebonyqueen4ever,

Henna has a loosening effect in many cases by itself anyway, as it coats the hair strands and weighs it down. This effect if it happens on your hair is permanent. Sometimes it has been so noticeable after a a few applications of henna that some people have stopped using it. For this reason, I would err on the cautious side about doing a coconut and lime treatment at the same time as henna in order to try and loosen the curl but that's just me. Feel free to go ahead and do let us know how you get on!

Also coconut milk is mildly acidic and is enough to achieve dye release without the need for additional acids such as lime, lemon etc. Some people find a lot of acids in their mix drying to their hair as well.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by EbonyQueen 28th July 2010, 11:16 pm

R2D2 you are amazing! You have saved me from a disaster lol. Thanks...I will try the henna+coconut milk and indigo in a few weeks!
EbonyQueen
EbonyQueen

https://www.facebook.com/ImperialDiamond

Back to top Go down

Post by ~MyOhMie~ 30th July 2010, 12:10 am

I think I will add coconut milk to my paste the next time I mix a batch. This sounds like a good idea.
~MyOhMie~
~MyOhMie~

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 7th August 2010, 10:49 am

R2D2 i have a questions for you or anyone else who might know. I love the Henna and Coconut mixture and i have used it several times overnight. For some odd reason this morning i was wondering if that is okay since i do have Milk in my head for like 13-14 hours. I never considered that i might actually spoil while in my hair. What are your thoughts and how long do you leave yours in?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by PolymerGirl 8th August 2010, 12:17 am

Hey guys! I did my first out-of-the-box henna a couple days ago using both coconut milk and green tea. It was great! My hair feels soooo much better than when I use LUSH hennas.

I'd be cautious about leaving coconut milk on my head for 14 hours though. I know it's supposed to be refrigerated upon opening, so...
PolymerGirl
PolymerGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 8th August 2010, 9:46 pm

summerbreeze76 wrote:R2D2 i have a questions for you or anyone else who might know. I love the Henna and Coconut mixture and i have used it several times overnight. For some odd reason this morning i was wondering if that is okay since i do have Milk in my head for like 13-14 hours. I never considered that i might actually spoil while in my hair. What are your thoughts and how long do you leave yours in?

I either leave mine in for 3 hours if I'm hennaing during the day or 10 hours if overnight. I haven't had any issues with the overnight application in terms of smell or results. I have heard you can keep coconut milk in the fridge for 4 days after taking it out of the can so it doesn't strike me as something that spoils more quickly compared to other food stuffs.

Good luck!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by longlostcurls 18th November 2010, 2:57 pm

When you girls mix your henna with coconut milk how long do you let it sit to release the dye and also do you get the results with coconut milk in terms of amount of dye release as you would with lemon or another acidic fruit juice? This info would be great because I love using coconut milk, it always leaves my hair extremely soft and I would love to be able to mix it with my henna. I could imagine that it would be much easier to rinse out the henna if you use this.
longlostcurls
longlostcurls

http://public.fotki.com/longlostcurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down