CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming!

4 posters

Go down

In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming! Empty In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming!

Post by mickeshana 3rd July 2010, 1:15 am

I've had a perm since I was 14/15 and am now 19. Everyone in my family has relaxed hair aside from one or two members. I have never been good at keeping up with my relaxed hair and I was beginning to want a change. While away at school, I usually have my hair in braided extensions because that was easiest for me and less of a hassle with a busy college life. But soon I got fed up with them and decided to take them out and go back to relaxing. Big mistake. For about four months, I stayed faithful to my relaxing regimen. I live in NYC but my school is in a small rural town in PA. The town is completely White, meaning there are no salons who have a clue what to do with relaxed hair. So whenever I needed to do my hair, I would take the five hour bus ride back home, stay the weekend, and get my hair done. I finally decided enough was enough and stopped perming my hair. My last relaxer was February 12, 2010. Since then, I've been sticking to protective styles. As seen in my photo, I now have my hair back in extensions again, though Senegalese twist this time.

When I came home for the summer in May, I revealed to my mom and sister that I was finally going through with being natural and planning on doing a big chop. The plan was immediately met with disbelief and disdain. Though my sister says she doesn't really care, she usually makes jokes about me sporting an afro. My mother, who has cut her hair various times and currently has her hair down to her ears, seems to be aghast at the thought of cutting my hair. They also asked if this idea was brought upon by my recent beau, who just happens to be White (to which I let them know that he knows exactly zip about hair in general, but actually has a huge fascination with my braids and wishes I wouldn't take them out). Not only them, but my friends are also putting in their less than encouraging two cents in. I can't seem to catch a break and it's beginning to wear on me.

I planned to go to Khamit Kinks in Brooklyn on July 10 or 17 to get my hair professionally chopped but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive. I've been researching, checking out products, hair styles, etc for months and now I'm worried. I'm feeling all sorts of insecure with people breathing down my neck and making a decision that I was really excited about; feel more like a walk to the executioner's block. Help?

Last edited by mickeshana on 3rd July 2010, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mickeshana
mickeshana

Location : New York City (home) / Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania (school)

Back to top Go down

In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming! Empty Re: In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming!

Post by Muz 3rd July 2010, 9:47 am

I'd be happy to be your big sis Smile Here's my advice, if you aren't ready to cut your hair, don't do it. When you are transitioning it's a mental transition as well. When I first started transitioning I was never going to BC, but around the 8th or 9th month I started getting the itch to cut because I wanted to see my natural hair. But I made myself wait until I hit my goal of a year, then I stood in the bathroom and cut my hair off by myself, and I have loved my hair ever since.

If you ARE ready to cut your hair, then don't worry about what other people say about you or your hair. What's on your head belongs to YOU and no one else.

Besides, I don't think it's worth it to take a bus home to get your hair done every time it needs doing, the best thing about Natural hair is if all else fails, throw a headband on and some cute earrings and rock a puff Smile Personally, I've found dealing with my natural hair much more rewarding and enjoyable than dealing with my relaxed hair.

Anywhoo, I'm happy to provide you with any help and/or encouragement you need on your journey, and I wish you much luck and success! If you ever need to talk you can just reply to this message, a message I have further down volunteering to be a Big Sis or shoot me a PM Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming! Empty Re: In desperate need of a big sis! Anxiety is overwhelming!

Post by mickeshana 3rd July 2010, 3:12 pm

Thank you so much, Muz! It's nice to have someone in my corner [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have thought long and hard about the decision to cut my hair. It's not only the urge to see my natural hair, but it's also the desire to be rid of my relaxed ends now. Dealing with two textures frustrates me too much, hence why I resort to braids. But I also dislike having braids in my hair as well. Obviously I'm very fickle when it comes to my hair. Cutting it off and starting off anew is exactly what I want right now. Of course I have some insecurities about how I'll look for with chopped locks but I've resolved to deal with those and love me for my natural look.

It's definitely not worth the bus trip! That was probably the worst part of it all, those five hours were very close to torture. I know natural hair isn't completely easy to work with, you have to learn to care for your hair, but I'm eager to learn. This is something I'm doing for me and I just hate that my family is so against it.

Again, thank you! I definitely will be hitting you up, even if it's just to chat. I'm excited to take this huge step and am grateful for the support!
mickeshana
mickeshana

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 4th July 2010, 3:48 pm

That's great that you know what you want to do and why you want to do it. I think as long as you are comfortable and confident in your choice, other people's opinions shouldn't matter to you. My dad absolutely HATES my hair (at least I think he does). I'm sure if I actually cared what he thought it would hurt my feelings (LOL), but I've been doing what I wanted with my hair since Middle school, I don't know why he thinks now that I'm grown I'd suddenly care what he thinks.

Before I cut my hair, even as late was when I officially decided to go natural 5 months after my last relaxer (I'd usually stretch them out that long) I was paranoid about getting my hair cut. I almost cried once when my stylist had to trim a couple of inches off in 2003 (LOL). And yet there I was only a year after my last relaxer standing in my bathroom cutting off all of my own hair. I worried about how I'd look with natural hair, and how I'd look with shorter hair (since my original plan was to grow and trim until all of the perm was gone), but I quickly got over it. I've loved my hair ever since.

I think as long as you have mentally transitioned-- and it seems like you have-- then when you cut your hair you will love it instantly Very Happy And eventually all of the people who are even somewhat against it now won't even remember what you looked like with a relaxer Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 7th July 2010, 11:49 am

Hello Mickeshana, My family, friends, and everyone hated the fact that I cut my hair and started over. Everyone thought I had completely lost all of my mind, but in all reality I had finally found it. Its exactly what I needed and you have to make sure its what you want. If it is then GO FOR AND GOOD LUCK. My family and friends like it more and like to see what I can come up with next. I BC'd one year ago and I cant imagine having it any other way. I went to the salon faithfully for the first part of my natural journey and when i finally stop being afraid of my hair and started to learn my hair then I started to come up with so many styles. It will be an awesome feeling when a natural ask you for advice and like your hair and honestly there is no greater feeling then the mutual respect from a fellow natural. You can do this and trust me where your friends and family lack in moral support the Natural Community will make up for. If you ever have questions or just need a few encouraging words then dont hestitate to reach out because we will reach back. Here is my email: Rea984@yahoo.com Drop me a line whenever. Good luck and you will be beautiful.
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 7th July 2010, 2:43 pm

I second what everyone else has said; they are speaking the truth!!!

If you are not quite ready to cut, but don't want to take the bus ride, can you do your transitioning hair yourself? there is a thread on here somewhere about how to style hair, i think it is called 'these are a few of my favorite styles' and it is under the forum called 'styling adn profiling'. i bet you could learn to do your own twist and curl. you could give yourself a few weeks of dealing with your own hair, outside of braids, and then figure out whether to cut or not. or you could get just a few inches cut off.

if your guy loves braids, he will probably fall in love with your own curls!!

i bet the people in your college town are going to love your hair also.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeshana 8th July 2010, 5:19 pm

Thank you guys! I'm actually getting my BC this Saturday. I think my family has mostly resigned themselves to the fact that I'm going to do this, no matter what. I have no idea what my father thinks but it's not like he has much of a say anyway, lol. My best friends have come through and supported me, which has helped immensely. I'm still nervous but in a better way. I'm nervously excited and I can't wait to see my natural hair! Thank you guys again for the encouragement and really sweet words Very Happy
mickeshana
mickeshana

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 8th July 2010, 5:36 pm

Dont forget to show pics of your BC. Good luck hun!!!
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeshana 10th July 2010, 10:00 pm

I did it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] the friend who came with me, <3 her!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]the back

I love it so much, I can't stop looking at myself in the mirror, lol. Very Happy
mickeshana
mickeshana

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 11th July 2010, 9:05 am

Congratulations!! It looks great and you look really happy Smile Now comes the fun part!! Cool
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down