CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Chop Anxiety...

+3
HappyCurly
Muz
mslys09
7 posters

Go down

Big Chop Anxiety... Empty Big Chop Anxiety...

Post by mslys09 8th June 2010, 12:40 am

Hi, Everyone Smile

I have been transitioning since July 2, 2009 and have finally grown tired of the relaxed ends. I have loved the experience of becoming natural and I love my curls! The back bottom layer is completely natural so I have been experimenting on that small section. I have been wearing curly fro's but I have always had the option to straighten back into a bob on the rare occasion that I flat iron. My BC is scheduled for next Tuesday, June 15th. I have been mentally preparing myself and have been literally stalking Youtube and CN lol. I still have some anxiety! I have never had short hair before and I am nervous : (. I would really appreciate some insight and encouraging words to ease some of this nervousness. Thanks! : )
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Big Chop Anxiety... Empty Re: Big Chop Anxiety...

Post by Muz 8th June 2010, 10:14 am

Before my BC I was a little nervous, but after I did the first few cuts, it just flew by. I haven't regretted it since. I absolutely LOVE my hair and getting to know it 100% natural. I was worried about length for a little bit before cutting it, I was obsessed. I was looking at YouTube vids trying to find videos of people who BC'd when I did to see how long their hair was. LOL, I was cutting pieces in my own head to see how long they were. But the length will come as long as I take care of it, I actually have quite a bit to work with (more than I thought I'd have in some places).

So basically, you'll probably love your hair when you're done cutting it. I mentally transitioned for probably a month before I BC'd, and in that time I was cutting my hair little by little so I'd be used to looking at it shorter than I was used to before. I've honestly had no desire to straighten my hair yet, there are too many other things to try/learn before I do that. And I'm enjoying being heat free.

Look at the bright side, it's the summer, so your shorter hair will be PERFECT to beat the heat Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 8th June 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks, Muz!
I was looking at your blog and I feel like we may be hair twins! I'll know for sure next week. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am doing the SAME thing as far as cutting little pieces and stalking people who may have BC'd around the same time as me or who have a similar length... (hence me looking at your blog!)
I think my biggest fear is the short hair but I know I'll get used to it.
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 8th June 2010, 1:36 pm

Also, what's the best way to do the BC? A friend just told me about her experience. Her stylist two-strand twisted her hair and then cut off the straight ends from the twists. She said she wasn't as traumatized by shrinkage because the end result was a two-strand twist-out.
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 8th June 2010, 2:46 pm

I think the general consensus is to wet it and put some conditioner on there to get the curls and the straight parts to clump together and then cut where they meet. . .

I wasn't traumatized my shrinkage, and I was really excited to see my curls Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 12th June 2010, 11:31 pm

I'm doing my own bc , near the end of June. I also figured I'd do it wet, since that is when I can really tell the relaxed part, since it clumps together.

Does it matter the kind of scissors? I got some scissors made by Conair today...if I like the rollers they make, maybe the scissors will be good too. they are five and a half inches, i wanted little ones, since i will cut in little sections.

What do I need to have with me when I bc? I'm guessing scissors, LOL. I'm also thinking I should get some long clips, to hold back the hair that has been cut or to hold back the hair that still needs to be cut. anything else?

how should I wet my hair for it? I mean, I don't think my whole head needs to be wet at once, right? I get cold from a wet head. I'm thinking I can dip the section I'm workign on into a cup of water.

Is conditioner necessary for the clumping? I'm thinking it's not necessary if the section is sopping wet. i don't have a really moisturizing conditioner that i'm in love with...just ones for detangling.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 14th June 2010, 7:01 pm

I just BC'd over the weekend. I was planning to wait 18 months (hence the screen name). It had been 11 1/2 months since my last relaxer. I've got between 5 to 6 inches of hair right now and the shrinkage is nuts. I've just updated my avatar w/ my new pic. This is a flat twist out that I did this morning and sat under the hair dryer for about an hour. Products used are Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner (to co-wash), organic coconut oil and Trader Joe's pure aloe vera jell. I did about 15 to 20 flat twist.
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 14th June 2010, 7:13 pm

Hi, HappyCurly

I am going to leave those BC questions for a seasoned vet to answer... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I decided to have my stylist do mine. She is natural herself and has been really supportive.

Tomorrow's the big day! I have my products ready and my roommate who has been natural for two years is coming to be supportive and take pictures lol. I'm excited! : ) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 14th June 2010, 7:20 pm

18, your hair is really pretty! I definately know about shrinkage already... My back is pretty much all natural and about 5 inches of hair shrinks up to less than two. Did you BC yourself?
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th June 2010, 7:21 pm

You are gonna look fabulous!! I cant wait to see the pics!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 14th June 2010, 7:27 pm

Thanks! I did BC myself. Right after my last relaxer, I dyed my hair dark brown, so I just snipped all the color off. It was actually pretty easy.
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 14th June 2010, 7:31 pm

Aww thanks, Lynnie! I will post them sometime during the week.

@18mths2cut oh ok. That does sound easy! lol I have always had a scissor-phobia (read: phobia of shorter hair that comes with scissors). It's eased up during my transition... but not enough for me to do it myself! High five to everyone who has done it themselves! It must be really liberating.
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 14th June 2010, 7:52 pm

@mslys09 I totally understand. My hair has typically been shoulder length to bra strap length my whole life. This is VERY short for me. During my transition I wore my hair in the kimmay method or bantu knots until the last month. Both styles make the hair appear to be short, so I had time looking at my hair like that.

Good luck with your BC and be sure to come back and post pics!
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by candycane1224 15th June 2010, 1:27 am

Don't be nervous. I am sure you will be happy with the results! I was nervous myself but for no reason. I transitioned for 10 months and did the BC this past saturday 6/12/10 and I am in LOVE with my hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
candycane1224
candycane1224

https://www.facebook.com/candygirl1224

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 15th June 2010, 6:14 pm

So... after all that, my stylist canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. I am so ready for these relaxed ends to go that I am really considering doing my own BC tonight. lol I mentally prepared myself for this date and I don't know if I want to wait another week! I am that ready. I made another appointment with a natural hair salon but they are extremely expensive. Like... 80 bucks and up. That's also helping in making the decision.

@candycane2188 Thanks for the encouragement! Did you cut it yourself?
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by candycane1224 16th June 2010, 12:47 am

I went and had it professionally done. I was tempted to do it myself on many occasions though LOL
candycane1224
candycane1224

https://www.facebook.com/candygirl1224

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 16th June 2010, 1:28 am

I say cut it yourself. Worst case scenario you have to go to a barber shop and get them to even out your fro...probably will cost less than $15! I don't see why it's so expensive to cut the relaxed ends off at a salon. The whole point of me going natural was for ME to learn how to do my OWN hair...not pay someone else to do it.

Go for it lady! Post pictures!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down