CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OMG I did it I need support!!!!

+3
LittleOne
jeca
Songwriter88
7 posters

Go down

OMG I did it I need support!!!! Empty OMG I did it I need support!!!!

Post by Songwriter88 2nd July 2010, 12:39 pm

Hey Curlys so in May after nearly 4 months of being natural I relaxed my hair! It grew out so much but because of the pressure and my friends who didnt support me, I gave into the pressure and just relaxed my hair. I regret it big time. I wish that I never would have relaxed it. I relaxed my hair last month (June), and well now I'm back in that mind set of "oh no, I feel them roots I need a touch up" But I do not want to get a touch up. Then I came up with a plan to not relax it every 2 months or so, but I dont want to do that either. I need support. Please anyone.
Songwriter88
Songwriter88

Back to top Go down

OMG I did it I need support!!!! Empty Re: OMG I did it I need support!!!!

Post by jeca 2nd July 2010, 2:42 pm

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to offer you some love. I know it can be hard when everyone around you thinks your nuts but as long as your completely sure about what your doing it'll work out. I have an uncle who told me I was too cute to walk around with my head like that. My mother turned her nose up at it and every time my dad walked by he would throw up a fist and say "free angela Davis". I knew that my goals and what I wanted just didn't fall into their ideals so I had to learn to let it roll off me. I say your first step is to make sure this is something you want 100%.
jeca
jeca

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 6th July 2010, 4:53 pm

Damn! I can imagine your frustration. You're gonna have to pinpoint why exactly you relaxed again. Was it difficult to manage the 2 textures? Was your hair feeling dry all the time? Was it breaking? There is so much knowledge in the natural hair community. If you can be very specific about why the transition was difficult I bet we can find a way to solve the problem. For me, I wasn't transitioning out of a relaxer but the majority of my natural hair was severely damaged from dominican blowouts. My curls are very fine and they don't hold my curly styles well. I want healthy hair so I just keep it moisturized and pin it up if my curls don't look good.

But when I get tired of doing that, I reach for...the flat iron. It takes way longer to straighten my hair, than do a twist out though. I prob flat iron only once every 2 weeks. That's my personal choice, maybe not right for everyone. Just remember relaxed and naturally curly are two opposite ends of the spectrum. I think it's okay to be in the middle sometimes. That may mean texlaxing, or putting your hair in twists/braids, or roller sets, there are so many options!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 6th July 2010, 8:28 pm

I agree with both the ladies. First and foremost, you must do what makes you happy/comfortable/etc. Natural or not. There is a reason you wanted to go natural in the first place; revisit that. Mine was because i wanted healthy hair. I didn't even have chemical, but used a flat iron excessively. I do agree that chemical might be a bit harsh but maybe there is a way for you to transition into natural hair, so that you feel comfortable. Like Littleone said, maybe flat iron you roots (occassionally) and wear twists, twist outs, and styles that look great on you. Every natural style doesn't look good on every person (i haven't mastered twist so that they can be worn in public yet- lol). My first weeks of natural styles, were not the best but i knew my goal and didn't really care what others thought. I heard someone say "oh she got dreads" when i wore my first wng-lol. Now, you wouldn't believe how many people have jumped on the bandwagon and are asking me to do their hair like mine! FOR REAL!!!!! Point being, you have to be comfortable with who you are and your why!
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by MsAnkh 7th July 2010, 10:56 am

When I first made the decision to BC my beautician sat me down and told me that this would not be an easy decision and that I will have to be fully confident in myself. I will have to learn to ignore what everyone said and thinks and only concentrate on what I wanted. At first that was super hard, but after I finally started experiementing and actually Learning my own hair it became so easy and I learned that I am not my hair. I was born with this hair and if God made it then it couldnt be wrong. Now i look at my hair as a wonderful accessory, like shoes, a bag, or jewelry. You can straighten it or curl it or twist it or fro it, or so much more. Its completely up to you. BUT first you must remember why YOU wanted to be natural in the first place, and then hold on to that reason and those beliefs. If you got a relaxer solely due to a lack of support then WELCOME TO THE NATURAL COMMUNITY. Where there are so many ladies going through and have been through what you are feeling and experiencing. And the women in this community are so helpful and uplifting. If it was the transition process then maybe you should try different styles. Search the internet. Curly Nikki is an excellent resource as well as youtube. Ignore the few naysayers and embrace ALL of the women with the encouraging words and before you know it you will have women wanting to accept the challenge and look to you for advice. You can do it!!!!!
MsAnkh
MsAnkh

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 7th July 2010, 3:13 pm

the great thing about hair is that it grows!!!! you will grow some more natural hair and learn how to style it and keep going on this journey!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by netta 7th July 2010, 6:59 pm

I have BC many times from texlax. If you decide you want to go natural, make sure your new growth is well conditioned so it will not break from 2 textures. Your hair will grow and you can bc if you want or transition without the BC.{ Big Chop} Just make sure you clip your perm ends every month.
Remember "to thine own self be true" most sisters are so brainwashed about straight hair, they think you're crazy if you go natural ! They will get over it ! You will see, they will be complimenting you after while!
netta
netta

http://publicfotki.com/netta315/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down