CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic*

+29
BlondeByDesire
NaturalChica
Juices-n-Berries
LilMsPuddles
AfrikanLatina
lena73
SisterBoyd
Freestyles
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
Lynnieluve
nmoultry
HumanNature
tiashaunteƩ
Winnielours
TerraD
beautifuleyez
crustaceans
miznissi
curlykinks
dajewel
ChrsLvsBks
A85
CocaColaCutie
SheeTacular
rebelrocks
jamaicacurl
Free2009
d.denise
33 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Empty Re: |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic*

Post by miznissi 24th November 2009, 12:00 am

Nice journey story. Feels like I was there with you. |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Icon_smile
Beautiful hair, too.
miznissi
miznissi

https://www.youtube.com/user/miznissi

Back to top Go down

|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Empty Re: |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic*

Post by d.denise 24th November 2009, 1:28 am

thanks miznissi! it was fun too make and reminisce too. you should make one!
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 24th November 2009, 3:31 pm

My Hair Today

I'm doing my first high pony :-) I normally can't do one because of the shrinkage of my hair when curly, but the curlformers really stretched it out its practically straight and the curls from the curlformers look great in a ponytail. Got some huge earrings and a double headband and I'm good to go. Last night I put a little olive oil and sheabutter on it before I went to sleep and barrel-rolled the front sections because they were losing their curls...

If I get a pic (I'm running late!) I'll post it. I'll probably take one on my phone while I'm in the car...that's what usually ends up happening lol.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by crustaceans 24th November 2009, 3:36 pm

I would love curlformers once I'm out of the TWA stage.
crustaceans
crustaceans

http://crustaceans.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 25th November 2009, 3:46 pm

@ crustaceans they are the best! I have always sucked at rollersetting my hair - it just never comes out right lol so this is so much easier!
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 25th November 2009, 3:51 pm

So just like yesterday, I started off saying I was going to put my hair in a ponytail, but by the time I reached my destination - my hair was down and there was a different headband on it - typical lol. I loved how the curls were all over the place so I just couldn't resist. However, once, I took the ponytail down I was worried all day about my ends rubbing against my wool blazer |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Icon_mad so I would randomly just hold my ends up and "pin" them up while I was in the car or just sitting around. That's how you know I really care about my hair...worried about my ends lol.

Here's the pic:
|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Nov24210

I saw a friend from San Diego yesterday who I haven't seen since i moved before June and she was like your hair is beautiful! And has gotten so long! So I guess I been doing something right - Go us! Notice I say "us" and not me because so much of what I've been doing is from what I've learned from you ladies :-) Go us! Go us! |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 617583 lol
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 26th November 2009, 6:33 pm

MY HAIR TODAY....

is in roller's. until further notice. i had to call my best friend and have her remind me of how old I was! lol I am making greens with a sweet potato pie in the oven with rollers in my head! I was like please tell me I didn't go to sleep last night and wake up 50 years later with grandkids lol.

I didn't put the rollers in with any kind of desired outcome...it will probably still be in a bun lol. I just figured this would be easier than just sleeping with it out - i knew what the outcome of that would have been - tangled, dry, dull... so we'll see what these rollers are talkin about in a few hours lol.

Happy Thanksgiving!
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by beautifuleyez 26th November 2009, 6:39 pm

d.denise wrote:MY HAIR TODAY....

is in roller's. until further notice. i had to call my best friend and have her remind me of how old I was! lol I am making greens with a sweet potato pie in the oven with rollers in my head! I was like please tell me I didn't go to sleep last night and wake up 50 years later with grandkids lol.

I didn't put the rollers in with any kind of desired outcome...it will probably still be in a bun lol. I just figured this would be easier than just sleeping with it out - i knew what the outcome of that would have been - tangled, dry, dull... so we'll see what these rollers are talkin about in a few hours lol.

Happy Thanksgiving!

hahaha...the images that come to mind are halarious!
It's funny, I know the feeling! I've had some of the same ideas, as I slave in the kitchen to prepare dinner! But gotta do what works, right?! And you'll have something good to eat later lol!
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 27th November 2009, 5:56 pm

lol yes I think that was the first time I felt like that because I had started cooking the night before, and woke up and immediately started cleaning and cooking... lol I felt just like my gma!

So my hair was a curly fro yesterday. More curly than fro. The rollers came out great because they were all rolled differently - different size rollers, some rolled toward the front some towards the back. And I threw a headband on it and it looked great because they were all over the place. And I liked it so much that I decided to do the same thing again today. And the BEST part is that because I WANT the curls to be all over the place I can put them in while I am watching TV because it doesn't matter if they are in a row or if the sides have the same numbers of rollers so it doesn't matter if I can see them or not - go laziness! lol

So today, I have reached a new height in my curly life - and it is the miraculous...... (drumroll please)...7th day hair! wooo hoooo!!! Now, I have gone 7 days without washing my hair before lol. But I have NEVER gone 7 days without washing my hair and it still looks GREAT! :-) I mean, no cowash no nothing. I have been using coconut oil and some aloe vera oil so its a little more oily than I would like but it still feels really great. My friend was playing in my hair yesterday and I didn't have to tell her to watch it! lol I need to find some good elastics or scrunchies that allow me to keep a loose bun. Because when I put a bun up with my hands it looks so much better than the one I put in with a hair tie...things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Here's a pic of a "handbun" lol... YAY FOR 7th day hair!
|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Photo_11

I think part of it has to do with the curlformers stretching it. The curlformers themselves last for quite a few days and the fact that its stretched allows it to stay moisturized because the curls aren't keeping the natural oils from my scalp from reaching the ends...
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 30th November 2009, 4:40 pm

soooo I re-washed my hair after 8 or 9 days just because I wanted to use the Giovanni's smooth as silk conditioner. I liked the Tea tree triple threat so much that I figured I might like this one even better because it was supposed to be more for moisture.... buut notsomuch. it was ok. I like the tea tree better... I even like the giovannis tea tree better than the trader joes...

so today my hair will probably be in a bun or pinned back. im really sad that I cant find good moisturizing products that make my hair soft and shiny without mineral oil... coconut and olive oil both just make my hair oily, I don't think my hair likes shea butter, the direct leave-in just sits on my hair, what am I supposed to dooo??? Water so far is my only friend lol. Mixing water with conditioners helps temporarily so until I find that product I'm missing that's what itll be.

I just started taking a multivitamin this week. not even one specific for hair but a regular one. it has some biotin in it and some other good things for hair but I care about general health before hair health. the crazy thing is I drink LOADS of water and thats like the first thing people ask - well, do you drink a lot of water?? I never drink sodas, I've always liked water. People used to think I was just being cheap when I would go to a restaurant and order water and tear it up - but no, I actually like it! Ok, water, be good to me!
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 30th November 2009, 4:45 pm

Your hair looks great with the curlformers! I think I need to stop being cheap and buy the set! LOL. Your double headband is cute too! Where'd you find it? Now that I want another one, I can't find any! Don't forget to message me if you can come to the meetup, I can't wait to meet my fellow SoCal curlies!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 30th November 2009, 5:23 pm

thanks terrad! yeah they were definitely worth the investment. I bought the whole set at first and then realized I didn't need all 60 or 45 or however many come with them so I bought the 4 packs plus the rod it still ended up being almost $50 but hey, that beats $60 lol. i tried to be extra cheap and only by 3 packs but I got too much hair and it ended up looking bad (curls too thick, wouldn't dry, etc) so I sucked it up and bought the 4th lol.

and I got my headband from walmart when I wasn't looking for one (go figure). wasn't even supposed to be in the hair section! lol.

And I'm gonna message you! I was trying to think of my 5 things lol. I can only think of 1 right now and that's cuz its so hard to find.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 30th November 2009, 5:35 pm

LOL. Cool! I may have to check them out! I could only think of a couple products so I added a few hair accessories!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 30th November 2009, 7:10 pm

you could do one pack of whatever size curlformers you use! lol that way you would only have to buy 3 lol
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 30th November 2009, 8:09 pm

LOL. You are soo right. I may do that! |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 678474
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 1st December 2009, 4:30 pm

ok so one of my issues is that I never get consistent results. and that is probably because there is no method to my madness. I don't part my hair lol. I just grab and twist or grab and bantu knot, etc. So last night, I took my time with my bantu knots. I actually parted my hair in 4 sections and took my time to section THOSE sections into sections - which is what most people do. I'm just lazy and wanted to bypass that part. But hopefully getting a "method" together will help me get consistent results or at least know what needs to be changed each time.

That said, here's my hair today. I slept on my curlformers so one side just looked tore up from the floor up so I had to salvage it somehow. I sectioned my hair and sprayed water on it then applied mango butter (which I normally don't like but last night it worked great) and a little olive oil to the ends. Well, to some of the ends. I would forget but wouldn't want to un-knot just to apply the oil lol. I put a scarf on it and went to sleep. It took longer than normal because not only was I sectioning but I was watching the orphan - OMG HAS ANYONE SEEN THAT MOVIE??? A trip. I couldn't have seen that movie at the theater because I was just a talkin through the whole movie - yellin at the screen and everything lol.

ok back to the hair - I took them out this morning with fingers covered in olive oil and immediately started over-picking it out. |d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes when will I learn? so I just stopped picking it and took them all out and just let them BE. I used a ribbon as headband and tied it kinda far back and voila - my hair today:
|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Dec12010
|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Dec12011
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 1st December 2009, 4:43 pm

Girl, I saw orphan when it came out and I was yelling in the theatre! LOL, so was everyone else! I probably missed a lot of stuff!
Your hair looks super cute. I never get uniform results for the same reason! That's why my TNC was all different, everywhere!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 1st December 2009, 7:54 pm

Thanks girlie! I am thinking this may help...I'm tired of not knowing what my hair is going to look like in the morning lol...at least this way I can somewhat track it and make changes accordingly.

I got some GREAT (hair) news today. My mom called to tell me how my sister is dead set against perms :-) she just turned 11 and this is a battle we have been fighting for the last couple of years with her lol. Well she lets my aunt press it every now and then and this past time when she pressed it for Thanksgiving my lil sister had a FIT because she thought she had permed it... And me and my mom had a fit too lol but really she had used some product that said it could be used "for perms" and my sis misunderstood... So thankfully that war is over...now we r just going to have a mini war against always wanting to wear it straight and another against using grease and other bad products. I kno a lot of it has to do with me giving up my perm and her seeing my hair at its healthiest and growing back to its pre perm length in addition to us showing her that dr oz video that someone posted (afrikanlatina I think? Thank you!) as well as her seeing her friend come to school with chemical burns on her already short hair and I'm sure there were a lot of other things going on...

I'm grateful :-)

Oh and another thing I didn't know...my other little cousin who is maybe 12 or 13 has already decided that the moment she turns 18 she will not get anymore perms. For some reason her mom keeps putting relaxers in her hair and she hates it. She believes they took her hair out. Her hair is definitely thinner. I'm gonna work on my aunt now! Its sad when the kids have no say over their hair even though they instinctively kno what's best...
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st December 2009, 11:45 pm

I love your results. Is it a bantu knot out or a result of curlformers?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 2nd December 2009, 4:51 pm

the one from yesterday was a bantu knot out. thanks!

Today I'll talk about my new "products" that I went and stocked up on last night. After I realized how much money I had been spending on my hair, there was no way I could justify not eating enough fruits and veggies. Normally when I go grocery shopping I plan for the week and only get what I need to make those meals plus the basics like bread milk whatever. So last night, I went fruit and veggie grocery shopping and spent almost $30 on JUST that lol. Everything I have been reading always says it starts on the inside - and not just emotionally, but nutritionally as well. And while I know what I'm eating won't necessarily affect the hair that's already out, I hope to see an improvement by the middle of next year (I'm going to keep it up! promise!) I also got a multi vitamin over the weekend to help me get the nutrients I'm missing out on. I already drink tons of water, but I am going to try to drink even more. If my hair's not healthy, it's not just my hair. It's an indication of what's going on on the inside too - so that's my "product for the day" lol.

last night I called myself doing "loose" braids to keep my curls tamed, but I guess the combination of spraing them with water/condish and leaving them in over night turned it into a braid out lol. But that's fine it's still kinda cute:
|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Dec22010
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 2nd December 2009, 11:51 pm

It is definitely cute! I've been thinking about doing a braid out. I have never done one!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 3rd December 2009, 4:36 pm

sooo... I went out last night...wasn't really feeling my hair but I got some hey gorgeous and all that stuff anyway... and there were some other curly girls in there that brought me back to earth - like why am I trippin??? lol

and I'm going out tonight soooo I wanted to make sure I was prepared lol. last night was a spur of the moment type thing. So I got in at 2am and proceeded to roll my hair on the pink teal and purple rollers - not sure how it was going to turn out since I had done a braid out the night before. but it was surprisingly effective! at this very moment I'm still sitting here with the curls in my head haven't combed them out or shaken my head or anything. I tend to overdo this step so I am going to actually think before I put my hands in my head lol... what should I do? just throw a headband on for work and then fluff/shake it out for party?

|d.denise| *blowing dust off the mic* - Page 2 Dec32010

I guess I'm learning how to roll my hair because this looks a lot like the curlformers kinda sorta in a way - I really think rolling "up" makes a difference... and I did this without banding so next time (tonight) I may try banding although my roots are a little crinkly but its not bad.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 3rd December 2009, 4:42 pm

I say headband for work and shake for going out! LOL
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Winnielours 3rd December 2009, 5:44 pm

Hi!

I agree with TerraD...save the shake for later!

P.S. i was so inspired by you bantu knot out that I might do it tonight if im not too tired!! Any suggestions? I'm doing it on dry hair...
Winnielours
Winnielours

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 3rd December 2009, 6:22 pm

hey! Im saving the shake! hopefully it will turn out great. when we were out yesterday this gurl had huge curls pinned to the side -it almost looked like an old school french roll/coin roll but it was super cute so I'm not afraid to admit- I'm definitely biting! lol.

Good luck with your bantu knot-out! My best bantu knot outs come from dry hair so you shouldn't have any problems there. I do use my water/conditioner mix to moisturize and make it a little damp so it will "set" but try not to make it to wet because then your hair won't be dry in the morning. If you read the post when I did the bantu knot you'll see that I had to learn how to actually section my hair lol. I was more of a grab and go kinda girl but sectioning actually made a difference in my opinion. GOOD LUCK! If you have any other questions let me know I'll try my best to take a stab at them... have you done one before?
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum