CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jamaicacurl

+58
krazy coils
MomnWife
CurlsGalore
crvng4mr
MellowOne
Nikcoils
CurlCita
MahoganyCurls
mochamoments
jcanalena79
NubieNatty
curlyboricua
Mz. Thang
cutephantasm
blondie
bholmes87
Miss CurlyT
StephanieB
Notthecoolmom
Kshamile
KinkyNappyHappy
TerraD
vmichelle
Juices-n-Berries
A85
BlondeByDesire
SisterBoyd
SheeTacular
Corygentri
Lynnieluve
sweetdrk1
Freestyles
NylaCoils
Intelligentbeauty
Curly Film Chick
splitsun
Kea::curls
Pinkrage
Courtie
LilMsPuddles
adiaha
HumanNature
tiashaunteé
d.denise
beautifuleyez
crustaceans
dajewel
Lanamarie
CocoEuro
MeekMonique
RoseNaturalBeauty
Free2009
Enchantment
ChrsLvsBks
AfrikanLatina
nmoultry
Blackbeauty
jamaicacurl
62 posters

Page 33 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

jamaicacurl - Page 33 Empty Re: jamaicacurl

Post by jamaicacurl 15th October 2010, 4:22 pm

I can't remember if I updated on my hair results after my Brahmi treatment last week but....it was good! My curls were more defined and my hair looked a bit fuller and definitely darker.

This week, thanks to the advice of prettybrown, I went and got a couple boxes of Amla today. She said that it helps make your hair thicker, which I need. Since having my kids, my hair has gotten quite thinner. And this week it's shedding A LOT!! Idk if it's my shedding "season" right now or what but it's a bit scary. I just want my hair to be thick again!

Anywho, I got the Amla as well as Maka (also helps to thicken hair) & Tulsi (for scalp) ayurvedic powders today from an Indian grocery store. After watching a youtube vid to see what my options are as far as mixing (even though it can be used with just water), I mixed 3 tbsp Amla, 2 tbsp Maka, and 1 tbsp Shikakai (already had in my stash - for scalp), some EVOO, and hot water. I applied this mixture to my hair, put on a plastic cap and let sit for 1 hour. I then washed it all out, co-washed and did a DT.

My DT was a warm cocktail of EVOO, avocado oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and sweet almond oil. Can I just say how much I LOVE the smell of sweet almond oil?!?!? I digress...I parted my hair and applied the warm oil mixture to each section, put on a plastic cap and donned my conditioner cap that warms even more. I did that for 40 mins and washed and co-washed it out again. I then applied my GVP Conditioning Balm conditioner as my leave-in and plopped. I'm currently still plopping but I expect my hair to be super moist and strong.

Actually, after doing the ayurvedic treatment my hair felt different. It felt stronger...so I guess that's good.

My plan and mission for thicker, stronger hair is to do an ayurvedic treatment with Amla on a weekly basis for I guess 3 months to see if I see a difference. Wish me luck with sticking to it b/c that's one of my downfalls LOL!

jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 15th October 2010, 4:29 pm

That's great Jamaica!!!

I'm doing another Amla treatment this weekend as well. Maybe I'm on Amla overload b/c I sure do use a whole box every treatment. LOL

What is maka? I may have to look for that at my local Indian grocery store.

I'm glad that so far you've had stronger hair after one application!
prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 15th October 2010, 4:52 pm

prettybrown213 wrote:That's great Jamaica!!!

I'm doing another Amla treatment this weekend as well. Maybe I'm on Amla overload b/c I sure do use a whole box every treatment. LOL

What is maka? I may have to look for that at my local Indian grocery store.

I'm glad that so far you've had stronger hair after one application!

Maka is another one that is supposed to be good for thickening and growing hair. So I figured it was a worth a shot to mix the two! Here's a site that sells it so you can see the info on it.

Idk if my hair is actually stronger after one application but it just feels different...just doesn't feel as vulnerable I guess. I just equate it to feeling stronger Smile I'm also telling myself that so I stick with it Wink

Just found out about this Ayurvedic challenge going on here that I joined.

When you do your Amla treatment, do you mix it with anything? I already feel like I need to go get some more!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 15th October 2010, 4:57 pm

I use a box of Amla (100 grams) and around half a box of Brahmi (I've only did this part once though and will do it again tomorrow)
I mix mine with boiling hot water. Then when it's smooth, I add olive oil and that's it. I slap that sucker in my hair, put a shower cap on, then a t-shirt (like to keep the heat in) and leave it on for 2 hours or so. Last time I had a lil more time so I left it in for 3 hours. Washed it out and then DC'ed.

I know what you mean when you say it feels "different." My hair feels the same after an Amla treatment.
prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th October 2010, 5:24 pm

Love, love, love the straight hair! Your hair is really long. Natural hair is the bomb diggety.

Glad to hear you like the ayurvedic powders. I adore amla & brahmi, brahmi alone, maka alone and maka and amla. I plan to incorporate them into my weekly routine regularly and check for shedding and length retention. I will try to also determine my hair’s strength. Maka also goes by another name, bhringraj. It is typically thought of as the SUPER ayurvedic powder for hair. I have to agree. Brahmi is second for me.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 15th October 2010, 11:25 pm

@Chrs- how will you check you hair's strength?

@prettybrown-I was thinking about leaving it in much longer. The box says 60 mins but I've heard of others, including you, leaving it in for up to 4 hours! I wonder how long it would take to get the maximum benefit.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 15th October 2010, 11:26 pm

It turns out that I didnt rinse out my oil DC well enough. The back of my neck is so greasy! LOL
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 17th October 2010, 2:28 pm

Ok so this morning I had to wash my hair with a little SLS shampoo because it was still super oily! I knew the risk I was taking with my scalp (dryness) but it had to be done! It helped and I super conditioned afterwards.

Problem I noticed on Friday after my ayurvedic treatment: There's some hair missing at the front of my hairline on one side, where a lot of the dryness was! In the beginning, I noticed that my scalp wasn't dry at all and I was very pleased with that. Afterwards, I noticed that I could see more of my scalp because hair was gone! There are some short hairs there, some feeling a little like stubble. I'm guessing breakage? Maybe the powders cleaned my scalp so well that it took hair with it?! Idk, but I'm glad to see that there are hairs there growing in. Hopefully it will fill in soon and my hairline will by symmetrical again! LOL

Of course now after shampooing this morning, there's another dry spot in that very same area, so I'm about to go massage it with some coconut oil.

Oh as far as shedding goes, it has significantly decreased since the ayurvedic treatment!! cheers
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 17th October 2010, 6:14 pm

You need me to come slap the hair pulling hater? Because I will! Your hair is so long and looked fab straight! Don't you just love the versatility our hair provides!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 18th October 2010, 10:19 am

Jamaica, I am SO happy that the powders are helping with your shedding issue!

Sorry about the hair falling out. Hopefully this too will resolve soon.

prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd October 2010, 6:04 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:@Chrs- how will you check you hair's strength?

@prettybrown-I was thinking about leaving it in much longer. The box says 60 mins but I've heard of others, including you, leaving it in for up to 4 hours! I wonder how long it would take to get the maximum benefit.
I will take shed hairs and pull them until they break. I will do this when wet and when dry. If it makes a snap sound when it breaks after a few seconds, I will know it is good and strong. It is basically a guessing game as far as when to listen out of the sound. I am figuring longer hairs will take a longer time than the shorter hairs. I also saw someone use a comb to test their hair's strength. I plan to do some research. I will share in my CSJ in the next few weeks.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 28th October 2010, 7:31 am

Hi JCurl....

Just stopping by to see how you are doing over here. I see you are busy with all things healthy hair.

I wonder what caused your hair to come out? So are the ayurvedic powders drying? I've wanted to try this Alma powder that I've had for several months...but I'm leaning more towards the oils..(easier application)

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 29th October 2010, 7:42 pm

I missed my Ayurveda treatment last week because I went out of town. Today I mixed:
2 tbsp Amla
2 tbsp Brahmi
2 tbsp Maka
1.5 Tbsp GVP Conditioning Balm
and hot water until it was the consistency of cake batter.

Instead of adding oils to the mixture like last time, I put some jojoba and evoo in my hair while wet earlier this morning. Before putting the powder mixture in, I sprayed my hair to get it damp and then applied the mixture.
I didn't have time to do a DT so I did a quick oil rinse after washing it out. I used jojoba and evoo again and GF Triple Nutrition to wash it out x2.

The result: My hair feels and looks like it has just the right amount of moisture and my curls are definitely defined! I think the Brahmi really enhances my curls. Last time I didn't use it and my curls were more loose. This is the mixture I will stick with Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 29th October 2010, 7:49 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hi JCurl....

Just stopping by to see how you are doing over here. I see you are busy with all things healthy hair.

I wonder what caused your hair to come out? So are the ayurvedic powders drying? I've wanted to try this Alma powder that I've had for several months...but I'm leaning more towards the oils..(easier application)

Hey KNH! How have you been??
I have no clue what made the hairs disappear but I sure hope it doesn't happen again! I did another ayurvedic treatment today and I don't notice any other little bald spots so I'm good Smile I think that some of the powders can be drying but I've also heard that it may depend on what you mix with it. I always mix conditioner and/or oils so that it doesn't dry out.
The Amla oil will definitely be less messy that's for sure! I haven't tried any of the oils yet, just powders. I set a large (old) towel that I don't care about in the bathroom sink so that the sides cover the counter on both sides. I then place my mixture bowl in the sink, on top of the towel. When applying, I keep my head very close to the sink and try my best not to swing my hair around and clip each section up as soon as I'm done applying the mixture.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 31st October 2010, 10:13 pm

The other day I was going through all the stuff under my bathroom sink, and tossing and organizing everything. I came across a bath oil from Avon that I used to love so much. I stopped using it because it when I found out it was mostly mineral oil. I miss having a bath/shower oil so I made my own and I'm loving it!

In a 3 oz plastic bottle I put (didn't measure so amounts are approximations):

1 oz EVOO
1 oz Jojoba oil
3/4 oz Sweet Almond oil (LOVE the way it smells)

I shook it up and leave the bottle in the shower. When I'm done showering, I turn off the water and rub this oil mixture all over and gently pat or rub the water off my body with a towel. This leaves my skin nice and smooth and smelling good. I was going to put it in a spray bottle but I decided not to because I don't want to get oil all over the shower and get it all slippery.

Does anyone else have a shower/bath oil mixture they use?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 1st November 2010, 2:25 pm

Ooooh - I have to try this! Looking good lady!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 1st November 2010, 6:42 pm

Hey Cory! Long time no see! Let me know what you think when you try it Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 2nd November 2010, 2:03 am

I've been making my own body products for about 6 months now and I just refilled my body oil this afternoon. I was a faithful skin-so-soft body oil user. I love the way it smells. I chucked mine too when I found out it was full of mineral oil. But you know that stuff works wonders in the summer; its a great bug repellent. My body oil now draws the bugs since its so sweet hahaahaha
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 2nd November 2010, 7:45 am

That's great sisterboyd! Yeah the skin so soft was good! What do you put in your body oil?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 4th November 2010, 12:33 am

hahahah Everthing!

I have several recipes, but this was the batch I just made.

1. avocado oil
2. Vitamin E oil
3. Apricot oil
4. glycerin (very little)
5. aloe vera (very little)
6. coconut oil
7. grapeseed oil
8. honey scented body oil

I used an old glycerin bottle. I apply it when I'm just out of the shower and still wet. I wrap a towel around me and air dry while I finished getting ready.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 4th November 2010, 12:40 am

Sounds great!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 4th November 2010, 6:16 am

Hey JCurl...

Just thought I would pop in and make you laugh. Had a cold day in Houston yesterday, and I was too excited and ready to pull out my beige hat you made me. Guess what? It didn't fit!! I was so out done....these darn kinky twists!!! LOL

I am going to try your body oil mixture...just have to remember to get some Sweet Almond Oil. Thanks for sharing...
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 10th November 2010, 1:44 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey JCurl...

Just thought I would pop in and make you laugh. Had a cold day in Houston yesterday, and I was too excited and ready to pull out my beige hat you made me. Guess what? It didn't fit!! I was so out done....these darn kinky twists!!! LOL

I am going to try your body oil mixture...just have to remember to get some Sweet Almond Oil. Thanks for sharing...

Oh no!! Will it fit when you take the twists out or has your hair grown so much that you've outgrown the hat?! LOL
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 10th November 2010, 1:50 pm

I've been so tired lately. Didn't do my ayurvedic tx last week because I was frantically doing last minute things for the trade/craft show on saturday. It went very well! Now I have a lot on my plate between work and my business...but it's all good!

I've been wearing my hair in buns for the last week. For some reason my usual regimen is not working out so well since the temperature has been dropping more. I need to figure it out but until then, I'm sporting buns. I may even straighten my hair next week. We'll see.

I'm also thinking about colouring my hair soon. Not too drastic..just a dark brown but light enough to be noticeable. I go through this urge to colour my hair once a year LOL! Any recommendations for a good at home hair colour brand? And/or tips for DT before or after colouring?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 10th November 2010, 4:38 pm

SisterBoyd wrote:hahahah Everthing!

I have several recipes, but this was the batch I just made.

1. avocado oil
2. Vitamin E oil
3. Apricot oil
4. glycerin (very little)
5. aloe vera (very little)
6. coconut oil
7. grapeseed oil
8. honey scented body oil

I used an old glycerin bottle. I apply it when I'm just out of the shower and still wet. I wrap a towel
around me and air dry while I finished getting ready.

That does sound good..I may have to try it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum