CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The third time is the charm!!!

+14
Cnicoles6
poeticlyspkng
Lynnieluve
Juices-n-Berries
KinkyNappyHappy
newcurlieque
WhosThatRedHead
CocoEuro
DvaAuNaturel
NubieNatty
CurlsGalore
krazy coils
mrsmackey
DEE DUBB
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Empty Gidget's debut

Post by DEE DUBB 5th July 2010, 9:25 pm

Thank you all!!! Gidget (hair name) was a hit in P.R.!!!

I even rocked my fro on July 4th. Actually, Gidget was accidentally fro'd out b/c she was dry b/c I left a lot of my products at home. So, I picked out my fro and rocked it!!!

More details later!!! bounce
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The third time is the charm!!!

Post by Cnicoles6 5th July 2010, 11:25 pm

Congratulations on your BC! You wear the twa well.
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The third time is the charm!!!

Post by Buttercup76 6th July 2010, 9:36 am

Congrats on your BC... again... This is my third time as well... I am almost a year in now and there is no going back... It does take a lot of time and patience but when you get that banging twist-out or wash n go... It is all worth it... Be blessed in your journey...
Buttercup76
Buttercup76

http://www.thegeminiexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 6th July 2010, 10:46 pm

Nice!!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 8th July 2010, 12:49 pm

Hi, my name is Dee, and I am a PJ. The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Affraid

Let me list the items I have purchased within the past 3 weeks. Yes, 3 weeks:

Shampoos:

Giovanni Smooth as Silk

Conditioners:

Yes to Cucumbers Daily Moisture
HE Hello Hydration
Suave Coconut
Suave Green Apple

Leave ins:

Giovanni Direct
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Kinky Curly Knot Today

Moisturizers:

Qhemet Alma and Olive Oil Heavy Cream (sample)
Qhemet Hydrating Balm (sample)
Bee Mine Curly Butter (sample)
Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer (sample)
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Hair Milk

Oils & Misc.:

Glycerin
Jamaican Black Castor
Jojoba
Coconut
Shea Butter
Wild Growth Oil

Gels:
Kinky Curly Custard
Ecostyler

OMG, just typing that out made me realize how much I purchased... I am purchasing no more for now.

Anyway, I've cowashed Gidget everyday so far.

Gidge just felt hard, and dry. So, I did a deep condition with the Shea Moisture Masque, and same thing. Then Knot Today, then I used Kinky Curly--hard hair.

I ACV rinsed, then I deep conditioned with honey and olive oil. Oily mess!!! Honey was dripping down my neck under the dryer. Washed it out. Still oily oily oily to the touch (even after 6 hours), although it looked moisturized. I cowashed that out, and then deep conditioned again using the Masque. The masque just kinda sat on my hair. I felt like it wasn't being absorbed. Then I used Ecostyler!!! The heavens opened up!!! I had cute little compact curls. But, hours later, they hardened and dried up, although curls remained. Wrapped Gidge with a scarf and woke up, wet hair and ecostyled again. Same thing.

Made groceries last night and purchased some Suave Coconut and Suave Green Apple ($1 a piece at Kroger). OMG, Suave Coconut is so far my Holy Grail!!! Gidget actually absorbed it, and it was *GASP* Soft!!! I used some Qhemet Hydrating Balm, and used Coconut Oil on top. I put it in a bonnet, woke up, wet it, put some Knot Today on it and Kinky Curly, making sure not to put too much. Curls are defined, but Gidget is dry again...

Ok, all that to make these points:

1. Suave Coconut is the business...
2. I can't figure out why stuff is just sitting on top of Gidget (besides Suave)...
3. Am I protein sensitive? Protein is in Giovanni direct (which Gidget does not care for too much) and Ecostyler (which Gidget is on the fence about).
4. Also, what is dry? And what is hard? My hair doesn't feel cottony, so I think that it is hard. And, it doesn't feel soft, so I think it is dry. My coworkers told me that it is neither. Still getting to know Gidget...
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 8th July 2010, 1:20 pm

Congratulations on your BC! Since you just did your bc there is going to be some initial dryness so you want to make sure that you continue to deep condition your hair and use moisturizing products. I also bought a bunch of stuff when I did my bc. When you used the Ecostyler did you use a leave-in conditioner with it? Gels can be drying so you want to make sure to use a leave-in and also maybe use oil with it to prevent the crunchy feeling.

When you use the qhemet's hydrating balm try it together with the amla and olive heavy cream instead of the coconut oil. These two when used together give great moisture.

Hard hair to me is hair that has that crunchy feeling and dry is when its lacking moisture and the hair doesn't look moisturized if that makes sense.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 8th July 2010, 1:29 pm

Thanks Krazy Coils! I did use a leave in under the ecostyler. I actually used Kimmay's Leave In, but I used it with Giovanni Direct instead of Knot Today. It was ok. For curl definition, it can't be beat, I think. I tend to be heavy handed with the ecostyler. But, I am deathly afraid to use too much Kinky Curly Custard b/c it gets SUPER DUPER crunchy.

Your descriptions of dry and hard make sense. It's funny. I think that Gidge is dry and hard, but when others feel it, they say otherwise! Maybe it is because my hair is a dirty brownish black color and I am used to the shiny jet black color, and I automatically think--dry. Also, I am used to my hair being smooth to the touch, not puffy... So, that might be it. Thanks again!!!
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 8th July 2010, 9:25 pm

Wow you bought a lot of stuff. I hope you figure our some combinations that work for you. Something is bound to work in that arcenal you've accumulated. LOL
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 9th July 2010, 5:54 pm

CNicole6,

You were RIGHT! Something was bound to work.

So, last night, I cowashed with Suave Coconut. I ACV rinsed afterwards. I left a dime sized amount of Suave Coconut in and sealed with Coconut Oil. I wore a silk scarf to bed. I woke up and wet my hair in the sink (sopping wet), put in some Knot Today and KCCC. Voila!!! Curls were defined, NOT frizzy, not hard, and flash forward to 5:00 p.m., and my hair is not hard and STILL defined!!!

Ladies, I think I have a routine!!! It only took one week.

And for some reason, I think I am over the TWA dryness phase.
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 9th July 2010, 6:39 pm

Lol... be happy it only took you a week! I'm still trying to figure things out! The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Lol
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 15th July 2010, 1:53 pm

I am a hair-twirler. I have a serious case of HIF syndrome. When I am driving I have to tell myself (out loud) to stop twirling my coils. I do it unconsciously.

I was just thinking today that I wish I would have BC'd sooner. I really LOVE my hair. I've gotten so many compliments at work that it is crazy. I feel more comfortable in my own hair. I went to a barber last weekend to get the fro combed out and the wild hairs trimmed. He also lined up my sides and the back. It looks great. I may be crazy, but I think my hair has grown in the past 2 weeks.

I also went swimming. I didn't have to worry about anything. No 3 hour wash routine. Nothing. I did deep condition and cowash and clarify, but that's it. I WILL indeed be swimming again this weekend.

I have a routine now--cowash with Suave Coconut every other day, deep condition with either Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm or Shea Moisture Masque (baggy style) three times per week. Clarify with ACV twice per week.

I actually made a breakthrough this past week. I was sorta hesitant about rocking my TWA at the gym and on the softball field since I am traditionally masculine there. I hit the weights and the treadmill hard, and I am very muscular (especially in the arms and legs). Also, on the softball field, I wear Adidas shorts and a baseball tee and some tennis shoes. Therefore, I thought that the only thing that distinguished me as a female was my hair. I wanted to wear either a cap or a cotton bandana and some hoops. So, I put on the cap, and I was like, this looks dumb. I put on some silver ball earrings, spritzed my twa and went to the gym and the softball field. I felt empowered. I felt like I was not a carbon copy. It was a great feeling.

I heard something disturbing on the radio today. On Rickey Smiley, Special K (a comedian) made a list of the top 5 reasons to date white women. Number one was "Black women aren't going to the gym b/c of their hair and they end up looking like Gabby Sidibe..." That actually upset me. One, because I know that I used to (not more than 8 months ago) plan my gym visits around my relaxers and salon visits. Bad idea. Also, it upset me because he said it, period.

Ok, that's enough for now.
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 2nd August 2010, 2:05 pm

One month post-BC!

My curl pattern is getting better. I experienced crazy frizz over the past few weeks. I was co-washing every other day, and I totally drench my hair every morning so that KCCC will be more effective. I've noticed less frizz when I do the following--deep condition (baggy) with HE HH twice during the week; wash out the HE HH with cold water and use some Knot Today and KCCC.

When I realized that HE HH had cones, I strayed away, but my hair was not right. I decided to go back, and my curls were more defined than ever. I guess my hair likes dimethicone. And it helps that it is water soluble.

Knot Today is actually working better for my hair these days. At first, I didn't see a difference.

I've started wearing thin headbands with my TWA, and it makes it more girly.

I got sick of WNGs for a minute. So, I did coils twice, on dry hair (using KCCC and water) and on wet hair (using bee mine curly butter). The dry coils were more defined, and they held longer (2 days), but they were dry to the touch. But it took me about 2 hours to do them. The wet coils didn't hold well during the forming phase, but they only took me all of 45 minutes to do. The next day, the definition was lacking, but my hair was super soft. I love how coils give you a little straw curl look--too cute. I will post pix tonight.

My hair has grown, no lie, about an inch from last month. I can't believe hair grows this quickly! I got so excited when I used a headband (with baby teeth) to pull back the front of my hair. It actually lied down for a few seconds (LOL)! And, it was soft! I've never felt me hair so soft, even when it is wet! I couldn't stop touching it. It was like baby hair. I can't wait until I can do a puff.

All in all, I am loving Gidget so far. I am beyond any nervousness in public. I've been to the gym with my hair, to the pool, etc. I've also gotten beyond the urge to wear huge earrings. I just went back to my normal medium sized silver hoops.

My PJ-ism is getting under control. I only bought 3 things in the past 2 weeks--a sample size of castile soap (lavender) that I wound up using for my face, a sample size of Giovani tea tree triple threat and shea moisture smoothee (for a grand total of $13!!!).

The only other products I really must try (after I finish my stash) are AO HSR, Aussie Moist and HE Totally Twisted. I also ALMOST purchased a bottle of yes to tomatoes, which was at Ross for $2.99. By the way, I think I am going to get it tonight just for S&G... Hey, don't judge me, LOL!

I will post pix on my fotki later on tonight of my coils and coilouts...
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 4th August 2010, 12:00 am

Hey DD! I know I am late, but welcome to Curl Street.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 4th August 2010, 8:04 am

Hey Dee Dubb!

Its funny but when I was relaxed I also planned my workouts around my salon visits. Its sad that we as women put beauty over our health. You're going to notice that as your hair grows your curl texture is going to change also. I'm still noticing changes (lol). As for cones when I first went natural I used them then stopped because I thought they weren't good for my hair but I find myself going back to products with cones because my hair likes a certain product and I'm not having problems with them. Just go with what works for your hair.TTYL

Last edited by krazy coils on 4th August 2010, 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by whatgetsonmytits 6th August 2010, 4:16 am

@DEE DUBB Your hair looks great! Congrats on your transition. It is my third time too and I want it to be for life this time. I did the BC 6 months ago after a 6 month transition. I am highly impatient.
whatgetsonmytits
whatgetsonmytits

https://www.youtube.com/whatgetsonmytits

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 6th August 2010, 11:02 am

Hey DD! You're definitely wearing it well, chica! You look great and it sounds like you're getting a solid regi down. I agree about cones. Most products with one cone did well for my hair. I love HE HH and Aussie Moist. I may revisit them when I run out of everything else, so if it works for your hair, cool! The fun part about being natural is not always going by the book! Smile
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 7th August 2010, 6:43 pm

Thanks Curlies!

I just updated my Fotki album with some good stuff. I am not going to tell you how obsessed I am (I took over 200 pix of my hair, but I only posted 41).

I just purchased two more items *sigh*... AOHSR and AOGPB. I am currently sitting with the GPB in my hair. I figured I'd try a protein treatment... I will let you all know how it turns out. In the meantime, here are some pix to enjoy! Many more are available at my Fotki. This is just a preview...

CONDISH-ONLY W&G (SUAVE COCONUT)
The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 2_week10

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 2_week11

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 2_week12

FINGER COILS WITH KCCC

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_10

COIL OUT WITH KCCC

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_11

COIL OUT WITH KCCC AND HEADBAND

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_12

FINGER COILS WITH ECOCUSTARD

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_13

COIL OUT WITH ECOCUSTARD

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_14

FINGER COILS WITH BEE MINE???

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_15

COIL OUT WITH BEE MINE???

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_16

W&G AFTER DEEP CONDITION WITH YTC

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_17

W&G AFTER DEEP CONDITION WITH YTC

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Month_18

DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 7th August 2010, 8:45 pm

Verdict is in on the AO GPB protein treatment--It is wonderful! I didn't think a protein treatment could make my hair so soft. I did a condition and recondition with heat--10 minutes under the dryer with a cap, resaturate, 20 minutes under the dryer with a cap, resaturate, wear cap for 2 hours...
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Empty It's been a while!

Post by DEE DUBB 11th February 2011, 9:20 pm

It's been a while since my last update.

All is well, a comic strip is worth a thousand words!!!

1st pic is the day of my BC (7/2/10) and the 2nd pic is today (7 mts later).

The third time is the charm!!! - Page 2 Comic-p
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic 12th February 2011, 8:02 am

You've made awesome progress, Dee! You look great, chica! Good to see you back.
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 19th February 2011, 6:37 pm

Thanks Funkyhairchic,

btw, I looked at your most recent fotki pics, and your progress is beautiful!

I've finally gotten the hang of things.
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2