CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DerbyDiva

+2
Lynnieluve
DerbyDiva
6 posters

Go down

DerbyDiva Empty DerbyDiva

Post by DerbyDiva 17th September 2010, 8:51 am

so, im a newbie and i figured id start here. im not a fan of punctuation or capitalization so bear with me. anyway on to the story....

lets see, my journey.... as a child i had long, thick, uber curly hair that was usually styled into designed cornrows. taking them out was usually a 2 hour+ ordeal with lots of screaming, yanking and tears Crying or Very sad. around age 9 my mother gave up and in to perming my sister and i's hair. i cried and cried. i didnt want a perm because i was told by other girls who had perms that their hair had fallen out and i loved my long locks. my mom told me it wouldnt Neutral . anywho, wore perms all through grade school and saw gradual breakage and shortening due to my lack of knowledge of HOW to do my own hair and my mother entrusting me to doing my own hair. i looked a mess most days lol. as i progressed through highschool, i constantly toyed with the idea of just shaving my head and starting over again b/c nursing my hair back to health in its permed state seemed impossible. so i guess you can say i wanted to go natural then.

i had my last perm the day before graduation, may 25th 2005. i remember how healthy and long my hair was because i hadnt had a perm in a while. i got it trimmed and styled and headed straight to graduation rehersal, everyone commented on how pretty my hair looked. since buns & ponys were my staples they had no idea my hair was that long (BSL). once i left for college, i knew i didnt trust anyone to put chemicals near my head except my mom and i wouldnt see her again until thanksgiving. so i subconsciously began transitioning. i began to do research on how to maintain healthy hair and ran across nappturality.com; immediately became addicted! by the time thanksgiving came around, i told my mother i didnt want her to give me a touch up even though i badly "needed a perm". she was shocked to say the least. i fought with the 2 textures as long as i could hold out. funny thing is i never planned on going natural, never really thought about it and definitely never planned to BC. it just sorta happened. i just always jokingly said i was going natural and joked everyday about cutting my hair. we speak those things that are not....hmm

may 4th 2006. my BC happened informally with no forewarning, ceremony or preparation. it was actually a guy friend of mine who prompted me to do it. my hair was in a "transitioning" style looking a hot mess, he looked at my hair and told me "you know, you have naturally pretty hair. i can tell that your natural texture is gorgeous." i guess it really made an impact on me cuz i went right back to my room gave my then boyfriend some shears and said "cut right below where the straight meets the curly." he looked at me like i was crazy! lol, but he did it. i didnt tell any of my friends or family that i did it, i just let them see it when the saw me next. needless to say there was a lot of shocked faces, head shakes and some negative unacceptance at first. when i came home for summer break, my mother was on the phone with my aunt when i walked in the door, she took one look at me with her mouth open turned away and said in the reciever "well, your niece done went and cut all her hair off!" lol not even a word to me! rude!

anyway, ive experimented with so much stuff its rediculous! different styles, making my own products, trying market products, dying, texturizers, flat ironing....ive experimented A LOT lol. i get bored with my hair easily and i always want to try something new. which is why i temporarily went back to relaxing. i got into a really bad car wreck on new years day of this year of all days!! what a way to bring in the new year right?? anyway, the near death experience kinda put me into a weird mood; basically i felt like life was too short to not be daring, so i permed my hair and chopped it all off from APL to an a-line cut with the back pretty much faded and the longest part of my hair barely past my ear.

it was bold. it was exciting. and most of all it was the ish!! i loved it! but i knew that this was only temporary and i would soon be coming back to natural because natural is who i want to be for the rest of my life! i dont believe in keeping myself in a box or not experimenting with something just because it may be risky or harmful, maybe even irreversable! that is the way of life! sometimes you have to risk the fall to learn how it feels to fly!! i have several tattoos, had/have many piercings (some the same piece of skin over and over), i do crazy stunts just for the hell of it, and the biggest one, i do roller derby!! point being i grab life by the horns and even if the end result isnt what i wanted or expected, its always worth it, if only for the lesson and experience.

so here i am starting all over again, my last perm being may of 2010 (dont know the date but it was near the end of the month) and BC'ing (again) September 15th, 2010! and i couldnt be happier! im glad to have found this community of positive energy and beauty, (also because Nikki shares a similar texture to mine so her blogs help me tremendously since i had a lot of the same issues she did, i.e. end knots and split, fragile ends) sorry this was so long winded but i love to talk about myself :-)

anyway i will update as i see fit and try to join in on as many conversations as i feel i am adequate enough to verbalize on and learn whatever i missed out on the first go round, which has proven to be more than i thought it would be!!! umm, havent figured out the picture thingy, probably because im at work and it wont work for me properly because of the filters *sigh* but i will upload as many as i can as soon as i can!! thanks for listening!!

~DerbyDiva~
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

DerbyDiva Empty Re: DerbyDiva

Post by Lynnieluve 17th September 2010, 9:50 am

Welcome!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 17th September 2010, 10:12 am

@Lynnieluve thanks love!

Sidebar: I promise ill have some photos either here or on fotki soon!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 17th September 2010, 11:06 am

Hey DerbyDiva! Welcome to Curl street and congrats on your bc.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 17th September 2010, 11:10 am

@LaToya28 thanks hun!

Update:I have a fotki!! Not sure how to link it in but ill figure it out and add it to my signature. Anywho, my username is DerbyDiva (of course) no passwords needed! I just created an alubum with about 20 fotos. Enjoy!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 17th September 2010, 11:22 am

Welcome to CN and congrats on the BC! Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 17th September 2010, 11:49 am

@cyclingchick thanks dear! I feel so welcome! You cycle?? How awesome is that! I love unconventional sports and people who do it for the love of the sport! Ppl think derby girls get paid, truth is we pay to skate and knock the crap outta people and we love it! Lol

Sorry for the rant Embarassed
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

DerbyDiva Empty this time its different

Post by DerbyDiva 22nd September 2010, 3:28 am

so i am resolved to making this 2nd journey natural a more indepth learning experience. the first time i learn A LOT a lot of stuff i never knew. most stuff stuck with me so i know what to do it just that i dont put it into practice like i should *kanye shrug*. i did a lot of making my own at home remedies at first, but then i just got lazy. but i know that when i use natural stuff instead of relying on store bought products, my hair loves me more, lol. soooooo, i made a trip to whole foods and sallys this weekend. the sallys closest to me doesnt have too much inventory the interests me, and the whole foods is small, but i came back with some items i finally got around to purchasing (yay!).

the denman brush- i know some of you love this thing, some not so much, but i really wanted one first go round, never got to buyin one, so im glad i finally get a chance to use it. we'll see how it pans out once sheeba grows out some (i tend to break off a lot of hair when detangling with combs)

essential/carrier oils-can i just say how super stoked i am to finally get my hands on some of these?!?! especially jojoba oil! i got a big bottle for about $11 so it should last me a while (i hope). i currently have mixed 5 oz of distilled h2o, 6 drops of rosemary & 1 tsp of jojoba oil into a daily spray. good for hair and skin, opens the pores (promotes growth). i spray this on and massage into my scalp holding my head upside down from nape to crown about twice a day.

anywho, im so into this making my own products thing that i am gonna try to create a new concoction/routine each month. gonna try not to do more than that, lol. i am only co-washing and my protective style is currently fashion bonnets. i have to cover my head or else ill play in it all night (graveyard shift). i have other reasons for covering my hair, but thats not really important here. i just want to let my hair rest and grow out to a length where i can do some low maintenence/manipulation styles and just keep it happy and healthy.

my biggest goal is to leave my hair alone, let it do what it does naturally and LISTEN TO SHEEBA!! oh yeah and take plenty of pics; didnt do that last time. for now, im gonna do weekly updates (first update will be tomorrow, check my fotki) and however frequently i decide to after the 1st month. probably monthly so that i can actually see the growth.

anywho, im gonna keep updating this thing here to keep track of my routines and progress so stay posted ladies!!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 12th October 2010, 9:45 pm

I saw you in another thread and saw that you're from Houston. Just stopping by to say hello.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 15th October 2010, 5:57 am

@jnb heeyyyy!! yeah, i live in houston but not from here (not that it really makes a difference lol).
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 15th October 2010, 7:15 am

Welcome to CS and Congratulations on your BC!!

Question, where is Screwston, TX?
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 18th October 2010, 3:19 am

@kinkynappyhappy lol houston, just a little dj screw humor Laughing

DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 18th October 2010, 3:32 am

ok so here i am a month (maybe a little late Razz ) into my journey!! yay! let me tell you, time is flying! for a couple of weeks post BC i covered my hair, for personal reasons. now im wearing it out (not by choice) but w/e!! i seriously have a problem with keeping my hands out of my hair!! this aint new cuz i went thru this the 1st time and never grew out of it after 4 years *sigh*. anyway, i am prepping my hair for this sew in i will be getting tuesday, that means i am overloading on the deep conditioner and oils lol. my hair loves moisture as opposed to protein, so i figure better to over moisturize than under.

about a week ago i went to my barber and had him "shape me up" since i self BC'ed and it was pretty uneven. so i have no idea how much my hair has grown, especially since i was constantly with scissors in my hand cutting off any straight ends i saw. so my aim will be to start measuring my growth progression from here out. i will do a non heat blow out before i get this sew in and put my hair up for the winter. then when i take it down, i will measure again and keep it going from there!

i have been sticking to cowashes and homemade products, which have proven to be a good move. my hair feel moisturized all the time and i dont ever touch my head and feel straw, so im happy! i havent been detangling too much because honestly i dont need it since its so short. not a lot of shedding has been hapening so im glad about that, but the real test will be once my hair gets longer.

other than that, i am LOVING the CN community and it looks like i avg about a post a day, and its usually while im at work. Embarassed maybe im addicted? *shrug* anyway, i want to say thank you ladies for your input, questions, suggestions and lab tests! it helps a LOT!!

anyway, i just wanted to check in an update! i promise (i am really bad with posting pics!) i will have those photos uploaded to my fotki, since i cant add them on here at work or on my phone. so check out the link in my signature!! til next time ladies...

~Derby Diva~

sidebar:i picked an officiall derby name!! woot! im super excited!!! i will change my name on here once it gets approved by WFTDA (google it) and trademarked as my own!!

DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum