CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much time is too much time?

+5
IJustWannaKnow2
FloridaSunshiny
R2D2
natural83
summerbreeze76
9 posters

Go down

How much time is too much time? Empty How much time is too much time?

Post by summerbreeze76 14th May 2010, 12:00 am

I plan on doing Henna again tomorrow. What i want to do is mix it in the morning and apply it in the late evening, like 8 or 9 and leave it on over night. Is that too long to leave it on. I know that Nikki mixes hers and right away puts it in and lets the dye release while in her head. Should i do it this way or is my way okay?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

How much time is too much time? Empty Re: How much time is too much time?

Post by natural83 14th May 2010, 2:10 am

@summerbreeze76 I've been doing Henna treatments since November, and I always leave it in overnight! I follow the same steps that CurlyNikki does, I mix and apply right then and there. I've never had any problems, and I must say my hair loves Henna! I usually do it at night...probably start to apply around 9ish, and then I wash it out around 1 or 2 p.m. the next day.
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 14th May 2010, 3:41 am

If I remember correctly Nikki applies it later in the afternoon like around 5pm rather than late at night which means the mix is in the hair for longer than 12 hours. This makes sense as the henna needs time to release the dye and deposit on the strand. So if you do decide to follow that approach you might want to add a few more hours to ensure that you have good colour uptake?

I think if your current way is working for you, you are happy with the colour uptake and conditioning of your hair and it doesn't feel excessively dry then just persist with it. Henna is very versatile and we all have so many different mixes and ways of doing things.

I think the approach is more a lifestyle thing. If you like making a last minute decision as to when you henna then the long overnight method is great. As for me I only henna on Mondays due to not working on that day and having kids at school/pre-school so I can plan ahead.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 14th May 2010, 12:15 pm

Thanks ladies.

It is about 11:15 here, i am about to mix my henna and let it sit until a bout 9ish tonight. Ill apply it and leave it in until about 12 noon tomorrow. That should be okay i think. THe henna will sit for about 9/10 hours then be in my head for a total of 14 hours. Is that okay?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 24th July 2010, 3:40 pm

I usually henna first thing Saturday morning (7 or 8am) and leave on for 5-6 hours. After I rinse, I'll deep condish for the remainder of the day and most of Sunday.

When I have the henna in my hair, I'll wrap in cling wrap, put on a hat and run all of my errands for the day, including going to the gym, the grocery store...whatever I feel like doing. I can't stand being immobile because I'm doing my hair...
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 26th July 2010, 7:32 am

FloridaSunshiny wrote:
When I have the henna in my hair, I'll wrap in cling wrap, put on a hat and run all of my errands for the day, including going to the gym, the grocery store...whatever I feel like doing. I can't stand being immobile because I'm doing my hair...

Wow, I wish I could do that! You don't have people in the queues or those around you quizzically sniffing the air?
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 26th July 2010, 9:32 am

@R2D2 Every now and then, someone will ask me about it. I explain what I'm doing then move on (most people who asked me have no idea what henna is). I'm pretty sure most people wonder about the smell, but don't want to say anything. I chock it up to the price of beauty Smile
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by IJustWannaKnow2 3rd August 2010, 1:20 pm

Sorry, I'm needing clarification on coloring with henna:
the longer you leave it in, the redder your hair, or the darker it is? TIA.

IJustWannaKnow2

Back to top Go down

Post by LushAfroBush 3rd August 2010, 8:30 pm

Like Ms. R2D2 stated, do what suits you. Try different methods. I don't leave henna overnight anymore. Once a month, I'll mix a batch and allow it to release overnight and then apply to my hair for only 4 hours, 6 hours if I have spare time. When I'm using the enriched herbal henna powders, I mix it up with hot water, allow to sit 1 hour and apply and allow to sit on my head 4 -6 hours. Sometimes I use hot herbal water.
LushAfroBush
LushAfroBush

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 18th August 2010, 5:08 pm

hey ladies,
do you find that your hair is redder/ darker/ stronger/ more manageable/etc bc you leave henna in longer?
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by jasikazenith 20th August 2010, 6:15 am

you must a take a 3-4 hour this best time for you after a 4 hour you wash your and you get a best a colour and this a looks nice not take more time it be your hair dry ,take care of hair.

jasikazenith

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 30th August 2010, 3:27 am

My question is, how short of a time can you leave it on for to still get the treatment effects without the dye? 1 hour? I know you can mix the henna with Amla to cut down on dying, but overall what's the shortest time to get the conditioning strengthening of the hair?

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 30th August 2010, 9:05 am

The instructions that came with my henna recommends 2 hours, so my guess is 2.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down