CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Kinky Twists

5 posters

Go down

First Kinky Twists Empty First Kinky Twists

Post by MsVera 31st March 2010, 1:09 am

Since November 2009 I've been seeing so many beautiful pictures of Kinky Twists and I started reading about the pros and cons of having them. Initially I had the impression that a certain type of hair would be needed for this style and I've never had extensions (or weave) and didn't (and don't) want either one. I still liked this look though and I was so pleased to find out a few weeks ago that to have extensions or not have them was an option [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I spent about a week and a half considering it and on Sunday afternoon I went for it! I parked my butt at the computer as I twisted away for the rest of the night into the early morning hours [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
First, I didn't want to kinky twist the front, and since I had been practicing on flat twists, I put in 4 flat-twists with my part on the left at a diagonal and again from crown to behind the ear on both sides. I put two flat-twists at a diagonal from center to right and two from center to the left. To hold them over until I finished the rest of my head, I just secured each side in a ponytail holder.
Now usually when I do regular twists, I section off into four; front and back and work starting at the nape. I wanted to do it differently this time and starting on the left side I finger parted vertically in a straight line from the crown and down to about 1.5 to the left of the center of the nape. The parts I made would be best described as the ridges on the outside of a acorn squash.....OMG LOL! yes, I've got gardening on the brain right now too, which btw, I need to sow the peas, lettuce and kale in the garden tomorrow....shoulda been done 2 weeks ago, but was too busy reading about hair LOL! ANYWAYS! I just put in one section at a time and put the rest of my hair out of the way in a pony.
My hair was previously shampooed/dc the day before (Saturday), moisturized with leave-in and sealed with Shea Butter. It was also the first in a long time that I wore it out for a day, air-dried as is into a curly fro [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. That morning too before deciding to do any of this, I re-moisturized
with my Aussie Moist spritz so the hair was good and moisturized.
So for the kinky twist fest, I just had a spray bottle of water and raw-unrefined Shea Butter for the ends.
I used the plain water spritz to keep damp as I worked and applied a little Shea Butter to the end of each little twist working from the bottom up. I used my fingers only to make my parts and it was much easier getting them straight across having narrower sections to work with. I made the twists at the back really small...like espresso straw size and the sides not much bigger. I never counted the total, but I would guesstimate somewhere around 90-100 twists in all. The smaller they are, the better they "kink" and coil. With small breaks it took me from 4:30 in the afternoon to about 2am. It is now day 2 and so far, yesterday morning and again this a.m., I have only had to re-do the twists down at the nape where my hair is really soft and the twists tend to unravel easily. This morning I separated those twists and re-made them even smaller, but still they are partially coming undone. I think tonight I will take some Aloe from my plant and see if that gives more hold...I think it will. I don't know how long I will wear these, but am hoping at least 2 weeks. I am happy with how it came out and think I did a pretty good job!!!

Monday...day 1
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Day 2. I did it up a little differently....I likey!!

Edited to add:
Ugh I hate these webcam pics! Will get DH to take some digital pics tonight or tomorrow
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

First Kinky Twists Empty Re: First Kinky Twists

Post by lena73 31st March 2010, 7:12 am

You did good!
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 31st March 2010, 8:51 pm

Cute!!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 1st April 2010, 10:52 pm

You did really good for your first time CONGRATS!!!
Did you notice that while you were twisting that your hair favored you twisting one way more than the other? (I did my friends hair two days ago and her hair looked better twisting from right to left)
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 7th April 2010, 2:46 pm

Good Job! I just don't have the Patience to do my own hair in small twist.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 14th April 2010, 12:49 am

Back online after 6 days of no service....around here, April might bring showers, but it also brings high winds LOL!
Thank you for the compliments!
Thinking4herselfnow,
When I twist, I always go the same direction...right over left; I guess because I'm right-handed. I just have a harder time doing it the opposite.
I finally took it all back down on day 10. Don't know that I'll attempt it again anytime soon....I liked it, but didn't like the unravel part too much'...too easy to tangle!
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down