CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Newbie

2 posters

Go down

Natural Newbie Empty Natural Newbie

Post by V'Tor 5th May 2010, 12:42 am

So as of August it will be 2 years since I've been natural. I haven't seen my hair grow at all. I haven't lost any either so that's good. I guess it's a short-medium length. I'm not sure what to do about hair growth. I'm also terrible at doing hair so right now I mainly brush my hair back and add an afro puff/ afro pony piece. I have trouble with trying to shape my hair for my own puff/fro. I guess the front is 4a and the back is 4b. Lastly I've tried to do 2 strand twists a lot and they just look bad. They go in different directions and the ones in the front of my head don't coil up or spiral nicely on their own like the ones in the back. I just need some advice about what to do with my hair, especially since I'm bad at stlyling it.
V'Tor
V'Tor

Back to top Go down

Natural Newbie Empty Re: Natural Newbie

Post by Naturally Esq 8th May 2010, 2:59 pm

I am a 4a/4b and have been transitioning since 9/09. I have found that sucess depends on finding the products that your hair likes and having a consistent routine.

What products are you using? What is your routine?
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by V'Tor 8th May 2010, 3:28 pm

Well right now I use Taliah Wajiid Black Earth products (the oil and shampoo). I was using the Profective Mega Growth conditioner (I would do that once a week) and the shampoo and conditioner every two weeks. I mainly brush my hair back with jam and ic fantasia gel and put on an afro puff piece. Every once in awhile I try to do a twist out or do a flexi rod set (not satisfied with my results yet). I rarely get my hair done and when I do it's just being straightened.
V'Tor
V'Tor

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 8th May 2010, 4:09 pm

I am still learning about natural hair, but it seems like you may have a moisture problem. After much trial and error, this is my current routine: once a week I:
1. shampoo with Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo Triple Nutrition Shampoo, or Hello Hydration Shampoo, or Carol Daughters’s Black Vanilla Herbal Shampoo. I dissolve the shampoo in an applicator bottle with warm water and apply it to my hair, so that my hair will not tangle.

2. After I rinse out the shampoo, I deep condition with either Garnier Fructis 3-Minute UNDO or Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. I apply this to my hair, comb it through, cover it with a baggy, and either use my heat cap for 20 minutes or leave it in for a couple of hours and then rinse.

3. I then apply a conditioner either Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Conditioner or Hello Hydration Conditioner (via an applicator bottle), comb it through, wait about three minutes, then rinse it out.

4. Next, I separate my hair into many sections, secure with hair clips, apply Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner to each section, apply Shea butter to my ends, comb it through and let it slightly air dry.

5. I style by applying a little of Mizani Foam Wrap and Lotta Body Lotion to each section, comb it through then use rollers or braid it with rollers on the ends. I apply castor oil to my scalp between the sections, using a Q-Tip swab.

6. I let it air dry over night, then take it down and fluff it out using my fingers with a little Carol Daughter’s Mimosa Hair Honey.

7. During the week I have to restyle it every two days and I re-moisturize with Giovanni Direct Leave in with Shea butter on my ends. I cover it with a silk/satin bonnet when I sleep. I get it trimmed every six weeks.

Last night I did my first braid styling of my hair and this morning I am celebrating my curls and waves.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by V'Tor 8th May 2010, 4:22 pm

Ok thanks for that! My last question is would you recommend those products for me. I still don't have a certain set that I use because I don't have a real routine yet. I'm trying to put together a shopping list for products and "tools" (like hair clips). I guess my next big question is tips for developing a routine. I know I do have a moisture problem with my hair and scalp and I feel like my hair growth has stopped.
V'Tor
V'Tor

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 8th May 2010, 4:49 pm

I can not recommend these products to you because everyone has different hair that may react differently to these products. However, it seems like the 4a/b hair types like a lot of moisture and protein, so they may work for you as they have for me. You can check out the other discussion on this topic on the website.

If you have a moisture problem, like I do, then you need a weekly routine, with some moisture boost sessions during the week. I discovered this the hard way.

I have tried to keep my hair supplies simple: a silk/satin bonnet, no brush but a good shampoo comb with wide space teeth for detangling, hair clips to keep the sections in place which conditioning and styling, and rollers. I splurged a little on the rollers by purchasing Curlformers, that work great, and spiral rollers that I learned to use thanks to a You Tube Video. Now, it seems like I am getting better results with just a braid out.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by V'Tor 8th May 2010, 5:50 pm

Thank you so much for these useful tips.
V'Tor
V'Tor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down