CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Newbie here.

+8
Abisco
sweetdrk1
jlowman1
cdawnlujan
HappigocurliJenn
lena73
truet
DennyDelight
12 posters

Go down

Natural Newbie here. Empty Natural Newbie here.

Post by DennyDelight 28th December 2009, 7:07 pm

Hi everybody! Hope ya'll had a blessed christmas and I'm wishing everyone a lovely new year! I'm new to the forums and the natural community so thought I would introduce myself [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Names Denise I'm 19 years old from the bronx been natural for about 6 months and loving it! But not everyone is loving it lol... My grandmother got me a flat iron for xmas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and my father pokes fun at me every time he gets.

So this leads me to ask you guys, who was most against your transition(if anybody) and how did you deal with negative comments, this is currently the hardest part for me so I'm looking to you guys for inspiration and tips for blocking out those haters!

Relaxed
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wig

Natural

XoXo Denny [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DennyDelight
DennyDelight

Back to top Go down

Natural Newbie here. Empty Re: Natural Newbie here.

Post by truet 28th December 2009, 7:13 pm

hey welcome be very proud of the decision that you made for yourself at the end of the day that all that matters tcb
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by DennyDelight 28th December 2009, 7:14 pm

Thanks a lot Smile
DennyDelight
DennyDelight

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 28th December 2009, 8:47 pm

you are too cute denny! - i'm originally from the bx also - creston ave/tremont. (BX standup) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

but anyway, there wasn't anyone in particular against my bc - i guess it could be of my age and my i dont care what you think attitude.
just realize that you've already made the first step in having healthy hair.

there is a thread on here about transitioning/going natural for college age young ladies like yourself
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by HappigocurliJenn 28th December 2009, 9:33 pm

Unfortunately you can't shut stupid people up. But you took a step in the right direction by joining the nc.com community. After a day of moronic dumbness you can come here and read other curlies' stories.
HappigocurliJenn
HappigocurliJenn

Back to top Go down

Post by cdawnlujan 28th December 2009, 10:40 pm

You are absolutely beautiful! Embrace your beauty, God made you with curly hair, so love it, ignore those who don't understand it , and keep it movin!! Natural is beautiful! Make your new do a staple and keep your head up!!
cdawnlujan
cdawnlujan

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 28th December 2009, 11:20 pm

My grandmother was probably against me cutting my hair the most as well. I think its that older mentality that "your hair is everything you have" type thinking that ppl of her generation have. It's just about having confidence and knowing that you made the best decision for yourself. Your hair is gorgeous!

Reading these stories and having support from all the curlies on CN.com has helped me in my journey and I wouldnt change my decision for anything in the world.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th December 2009, 11:54 pm

Denny you and your hair are beautiful!! You have to do you!!! You will never be able to please everyone. Welcome to the family!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Abisco 29th December 2009, 12:09 am

Hi Denise

I know how you feel when people close to you are making fun or giving negative remarks. My dad is from the school of thought that long hair is the best and only looks nice when straight. My mom isn't so much against it, she's just confused by why I would want to go natural. I've realised that you can't do a lot about negativity especially when its coming from family. You just have to ignore it and wear your hair with confidence. Take encouragement from the fact that you're rocking your hair (which by the way is so pretty!) as God intended and looking fly as you do it. All the ladies in this community would have experienced something similar to you, so take full advantage of the site and share your experiences.
Abisco
Abisco

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 29th December 2009, 12:13 am

Woooo!!! Girl. You look GORGEOUS with your natural hair!!! Ditch that flat iron! lol And of course, F what people say! You know you're beautiful with some fab hair, and so do we, and that's all that matters. Smile

Lena beat me to saying BX stand up. I always wanted to say that. Although I'm from Texas....Neutral
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 29th December 2009, 12:32 am

Although I didn't experience any negativity once I did the BC, (I actually had family telling me I should stop relaxing) I can tell you a response I read on a random hair board that I personally think sums it up.

To anyone having issues with your natural hair, tell them God doesn't make mistakes, but if they have any issues with what he made growing out of your scalp, they are free to take it up with Him!

Last edited by blondie on 29th December 2009, 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 29th December 2009, 12:37 am

blondie wrote:
To anyone having issues with your natural hair, tell them God doesn't make mistakes, but if they have any issues with what he made growing out of your scalp, they are free to take it up with Him!

Yes!! This is so true.
He makes no mistakes.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by Abisco 29th December 2009, 12:40 am

lena73 wrote:
blondie wrote:

Yes!! This is so true.
He makes no mistakes.

Totally agree!
Abisco
Abisco

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 29th December 2009, 2:42 am

@DennyDelight,your hair looks hot! It really fits you! and I agree with the ladies,you gotta do you and do what makes you feel good. They'll get used to seeing the new you.just give them time. I can't believe your grandmother bought you a flat iron for xmas.......WOW!
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by DennyDelight 29th December 2009, 5:16 pm

Awww thanks everyone, I really feel a lot better, I'm gonna keep it natural and keep my head up!
DennyDelight
DennyDelight

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 29th December 2009, 5:29 pm

Everyone has already said what I had to say. You are beautiful sista. As long as YOU believe that, no one else matters. Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down