CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc.

+48
Serenity23
NaturalTina
ElleX
KinkyNappyHappy
TheRYL1
ShontaeB
cutephantasm
popsbaby
curly-me-naturally
carfi366
DvaAuNaturel
mrsmackey
HAMPTONSFNST
SighSidhe
TMS
Lynnieluve
SheeTacular
SisterBoyd
poeticlyspkng
neethair
AfrikanLatina
naturalchic
priceless
iri9109
GeminiNaps
jessimae
CrissyQ
jcanalena79
missmoriah
BajanPrincess82
Nikcoils
FemmeFox
brandiitneka
sweetdrk1
CocaColaCutie
NubieNatty
YuNeka V.
tiashaunteƩ
CurlsGalore
jac.attack
mstokes2008
ktoliver5303
Juices-n-Berries
nikismiles
jlowman1
Karyn
krazy coils
ChrsLvsBks
52 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

If you wear makeup, is it on point?

Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_lcap29%Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 34 ]
Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_lcap3%Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_lcap44%Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 51 ]
Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_lcap13%Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 15 ]
Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_lcap10%Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 116

Poll closed

Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. Empty MAKEUP - Let's Help One Another

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th May 2010, 11:15 pm

I am just getting into makeup and am having a ball with it all. I would love a place where we can share our experiences. Come on in, look around and feel free to add your two cents or bigger bucks. All are welcome--novice, intermediate and experts.

I love to learn new things and want to come out of my little box. I have come out a little but I have a long way to go.

Here are some pictures of my most recent (heck they are all recent since I started a couple of months ago) looks. Don't laugh, please! I can definitely say using my concealer for highlight was not working. I have since stopped, aren't you glad? (hypothetical question ladies no need to respond, LOL)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

QUESTIONS: What is the best way to put on eyeliner?
How do you use mosaic powder? What is the purpose of it?

TIA
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. Empty Re: Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc.

Post by krazy coils 4th May 2010, 11:30 pm

Hi Chrs!

I am glad you started this thread. I too have begun to experiment with makeup. In the past makeup for me was lipgloss and mascara but now I am trying to experiment and branch out more. I have been watching youtube tutorials and practicing.

I don't have any pics now but I will begin to take them and post them up. From your pics I think you've done a good job so far.

When I apply eyeliner I apply from the outer corner and move inward.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc. Empty Re: Makeup - Anything New--Tips, Looks, Etc.

Post by Karyn 4th May 2010, 11:58 pm

I don't wear make-up, but I had to let it be known: I FREAKING LOVE YOUR EYEBROWS!
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 5th May 2010, 6:00 pm

Your makeup looks really good and I love your hair in the 2nd pic. Im still new to it as well. I wanted alot of colors to play with so I bought the 88 Matte and Ultra Shimmer Palettes from Coastal Scents and I love them. I dont have pics either but will add them when I do my eyes again.

Im horrible at applying liquid liner to my upper lid so I just stick with the regular stick and apply just like @krazy coils from the outer corner and move in.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 9:51 pm

@krazy coils, who are some of your faves to watch on YT for tutorials?
Thanks for the tip about the eyeliner. I will try it. I know practice makes perfect.

@Karyn, thanks! I do fill them in with a brown liner to make them a bit thicker.

@jlowman1, yeah, I have the liquid liner and most days it is uneven and icky. I leave it on though 'cause no one should be that close to me to see my flaws, LOL.

I want to get the Coastal Scents pallets. I was thinking about them or Make Up Forever (expensive). I purchased four NYX small palettes. The colors aren't intense enough on me.

QUESTION: What brushes do you use?

I purchased a couple of ELF ones for eyeshadow and a set from Sonia K. (Target). After a year, I may invest in the Sigma brushes many of the MUA on YT discuss.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 5th May 2010, 9:59 pm

I really want to try the NYX jumbo eye pencils. I hear alot of people rave about them, especially the Milk (white) one to put under shadows to make them pop. I use Too Faced Eyeshadow Insurance (Ulta) as a primer and it makes the Coastal Scents colors really intense. Urban Decay Primer Potion is supposed to be really good as well but I haven't tried it.

I purchased the ELF brushes as well and they do ok but I think I need something more expensive and of better quality. My brushes shed and hold onto previous colors. I need to check out those Sigma brushes.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 5th May 2010, 10:27 pm

Hi Ladies,

Some of my favorites on Youtube are 1SimplYounique, Kuuipo1207, coloredbeautiful. I ordered some brushes from Coastal Scents and they're ok but I would like some professional ones.

I found some NYX jumbo pencils at a local beauty supply store and purchased some. I haven't tried them yet but will let you know about them. I have also seen people using them as a base to make the color pop.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by nikismiles 5th May 2010, 10:50 pm

Hi ChrsLvsBks,
I really love makeup (all though I have a very small collection and rarely wear it to school because I have no time for it in the mornings... gotta work on that though lol) At one point I wanted to become a make up artist, but that's another story for another time lol
To answer your questions:
What is the best way to put on eyeliner?
Um for me I would have to say pull the skin next to your eye(not to much don't want to cause any premature wrinkles!) here's a pic of what I mean: picture so that your eyelid it is really smooth (it'll be easier to draw on with) Starting at the inner corner (with a sharp pencil) draw a line (If your hand is shaky you can try making short strokes until you reach the end. Michelle Phan has a nice technique. I really hope that makes sense Smile

How do you use mosaic powder? What is the purpose of it?
With mosaic powder, I believe you're supposed to swirl your brush around the container to get all of the color. And as for the purpose, most mosaic powders I've seen were either blushes or bronzers so I'm going to say that they're either blushes or bronzers (depending on their colors you know browns/gold: bronzers pinks/plums: blush)

by the way your makeup looks are fieeeerce! i love it! and I agree w/ Karyn, your eyebrows are great (I say you spill your secrets!) Also what brand is that on your lids in the picture that is second to last?

nikismiles

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 6th May 2010, 5:21 am

Jlowman, have you experienced any side effects from the coastal scents shadows? I was all psyched to order them until I cam across several people saying they experienced headaches and that they could possibly contain lead. Also, are the colors intense enough for African American skin because most of the reviews I've seen have been from others.

Btw Chrs, my fave is the second to last pic. And thanks for starting the thread.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 6th May 2010, 3:50 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Jlowman, have you experienced any side effects from the coastal scents shadows? I was all psyched to order them until I cam across several people saying they experienced headaches and that they could possibly contain lead. Also, are the colors intense enough for African American skin because most of the reviews I've seen have been from others.

Btw Chrs, my fave is the second to last pic. And thanks for starting the thread.

Personally I havent. No headaches or anything like that. I can say the only thing I dont like is that if you get a color on there that you dont like its really hard to get off. Plain water wont get it, I have to like rewash my face with my facial cleanser which sucks so I try to get it right the first time. The colors are very intense on my skin (with or without primer).

Here are the ingredients for the 88 Matte and 88 Ultra Shimmer palettes: Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin,
Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin,
Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and titanium
Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric
Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green,
FD&C Red No.40 AlLake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C blue
No.1 Al Lake
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 6th May 2010, 9:13 pm

I have a question about mosaic powder? Is it similar to mineral powder and does it cover dark spots?
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th May 2010, 10:19 pm

I get a lot of stray hairs from the brushes I have--Bare Minerals brand, Sonia K., E.L.F. and a brand I purchased from Sally's. My next big purchase will be the Sigma brushes.

@krazy coils, I subscribe to 1SimplYounique and coloredbeautiful. Others include XXTheIslandBeautyXX, QueenofBeautyMUA and krawls80. QUESTION: Do the brushes you have leave hairs on your face, eyes, etc.? The mosaic powder I have is a highlighter based on nikismiles explanation. You could possibly try to pick up one or a combination of the lighter colors from it to cover dark spots. I personally think it would be a pain to try since the colors are so close to one another.

@nikismiles, thanks for the links! I think I will try the Q-Tip method, pretty cool. I used my NYX mosaic powder this morning for the first time. The colors are neutral (tan tones). I swirled my angled blush and had to tap off a whole bunch (lesson learned). I used it to highlight under and around my eyes, chin bones, forehead, middle of nose and chin. QUESTION: If you have oily skin, should you avoid highlighting those areas?

In the second to last picture, I believe I used my three eyeshadow NYX in In the Woods and Dandy.

For my brows, I use a dark brown eyeliner. I do my right one first because it always comes out correctly. I draw a thin line on top and then at the bottom. I lightly fill in the areas. I then look at the left one to match it closely. FemmeFox (hey lady!) told me to think of my brows as sisters. So with that I don't try to match my brows like twins but sisters. HTH

Hello, J-n-B, glad to have you here!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 7th May 2010, 3:35 am

Hey Chrs.. I saw your comment on Nubbie about this thread so I had to come visit. My make up history:

I have a mother that does not go to the grocery store with out make up on. We were raised it is so horrible to not wear make up when you walk out the door. So I started wearing and doing make up on my own when I started going to college (the bois were HOT). Through trial and error I have figured out the art of makeup fast.. I have always worn MAC Makeup until I turned to Prescriptives, because it was lighter on my face and the coverage was so nice.. BUT THEN!! THEY CLOSED DOWN.. So I am now back to MAC using:

concealer
Studio Fix
Eye Shadow - I love their colors because it is BOLD for my complexion.
AND my favorite lip gloss that I have been wearing for 10 years OH BABY!!!
I also fell in love with the bdazzled line
Along with chestnut lip liner.

I also ROCKED red lipstick. It was bomb!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 7th May 2010, 8:16 am

@CHRS I just received the coastal scent brushes and used them for the first time last weekend. So far no shed hairs. I will let you know if I see a problem with continued use.

@Ktoliver, is the MAC lipgloss sticky? I've never tried it. I used to use Marykay's lipgloss and lately I've been using Sephora's lip gloss. I really like the ones from Sephora since you don't get that sticky feeling from them.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 7th May 2010, 9:09 am

@ KC yes it is very sticky. I stopped wearing it out here in Iraq because any dust blow up in my face. It is stuck to my lip gloss. Also when my hair was longer if the wind blew my hair would stick to the lip gloss. I kiss my husband and he wipes it off cause it is thick. Well he used too he stopped because he was tired of the side eye. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th May 2010, 9:14 am

@KT- how do you like the MAC eye shadows? Are they really that much better than other brands? And what are your top 3 for a more natural look? I've been on and off contemplating ordering from them but I'm afraid I may get addicted. I especially want to try the Romp shade but Idk how it will look since there aren't any stores around me that sell MAC.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 7th May 2010, 10:30 am

Hey Stokes!! How you doing bella! I love MAC eye shadows. I love the colors because they are nice and BOLD. I do not really go for the natural look too often. I have to look at my three pack to see what colors are in there. It is a brown, gold, and cream. I love that pack!!

I really do love MAC because it gives GREAT colors. I have also you the NYC from the beauty supply but after a while that color fades. But I am going out tonight. I will do my make up and take pics... Once I figure out what I am wearing. LOL!!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by jac.attack 7th May 2010, 10:37 am

Hey guys!
Like ktoliver5303 my mom won't leave the house without makeup but I don't like wearing makeup that often. She will buy me makeup before she buys me anything else. And ONLY MAC!

I either use Revlon Colorstay or Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. I use Sweet as Cocoa Blush from MAC and Rimmel Maxx Volume Flash (in the pink tube) which I love.

I also have the coastal scents 88 matte palette and NYX Jumbo Pencil eyeshadows. As much as I love the 88 I think I love NYX more. I love simplicity and NYX is super blendable and easy to apply with great color.

Anyway the whole reason I came here this morning was to tell you guys that Coastal Scents has a sale every Friday and if you sign up for their newsletter you get the coupon through email. Today the sale is $5 of and $20+ purchase and $20 off any $100 along with free shipping over $75. I know I won't be spending 75-100 but the $5 can work on the palettes. The code is "MAMA".

Also NYX and a lot of other "discount" I guess beauty brands can be purchased at cherryculture.com, shopcraze.com, and nonparielboutique.com. And of course NYXcosmetics.com for NYX.

My question is: Do you guys know of a good concealer? I just bought Fl!RT concealer from Kohl's but I have a feeling it's not going to work well.

jac.attack

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th May 2010, 10:41 am

@Bamn- oh man! I was eyeing that 88 palette from coastal scents... and a coupon?? I never pass up a good deal lol. thanks!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jac.attack 7th May 2010, 10:45 am

You're Welcome! but I just checked and the palettes aren't quite $20 (all of them anyway) but you can get a sample of something to boost it over. I'm sorry :?

jac.attack

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th May 2010, 10:50 am

lol its ok. I tried adding a primer sample but it didn't give me the $5 off Sad
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jac.attack 7th May 2010, 11:00 am

what? noooo.
The email doesn't put any stipulations or say "NO SAMPLES!!!" so idk why it isn't working. What a bust. Sad

jac.attack

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 7th May 2010, 1:04 pm

Yay! A makeup forum! I'm a makeup lover, but by no means, a guru! I'm excited to learn some things for you guys!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 7th May 2010, 1:12 pm

@ ChrS: The best way I learned to put on eyeliner is to start in the center of the eyelid and draw a thick line along the lash line to out corner. Then take the pencil and thread inward to the corner for a thinner line.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 7th May 2010, 1:16 pm

@jlowman: I just started using the NYX milk pencil! Loves it! I use as an eyeshadow base over my lids and under my brows. It really makes the shadow more bolder, yet softer. If I want to go super bold like smokey eye, I'll my Urban Decay Primer over it as a 2nd base. NYX is great for an inexpensive eye pencil!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next