CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Guidance

2 posters

Go down

Natural Guidance Empty Natural Guidance

Post by divineanalysis 4th May 2010, 11:00 pm

Hello, my name is Tasha. I'm 27 and I live in Baton Rouge, LA (Hello Humidity!). I haven't had a relaxer since October 09, and I
need some help. I was transitioning, and my relaxed hair was REALLY
tangled, and my hair was shedding/breaking ,so two weeks ago I decided cut 4-5 inches off of my hair
(hoping that I could get rid of the majority of the relaxed hair b/c I
am not ready for the b/c). This is my first haircut in 10 years, lol and
I feel very good about it. I now have somewhere b/t 4-5 inches left. The stylist that I would normally go to for a shampoo and flat-iron style is not gentle with my fragile hair, even though she "specializes" in natural hair transitioning. I can feel my hair popping off each time her tiny comb and wire brush passes through my wet hair. I've decided that I can take care of my hair on my own because I feel that I will treat it better.

With that being said, I am in desperate need of a big sis who is willing to offer MAJOR GUIDANCE so that I can have a full, healthy head of hair. I think my hair is 3c, but I'm still not sure because I haven't tried any curly styles yet. I've purchased TONS of hair products and I will try my first wash today with the products suggested by Nikki. Wish me luck!!

P.S.
I have some organic Rosemary oil for hair. Any pointers?

Thanks in Advance!!!!!!
divineanalysis
divineanalysis

Back to top Go down

Natural Guidance Empty Re: Natural Guidance

Post by CurlsGalore 6th May 2010, 1:18 pm

Hey NaturalG! Welcome and congrats on your decision to grow your hair the natural way! You've come to the right place. Although I transitioned for a short time before I BC'd, I transitoned once before for about 6-7 months.

The line of demarcation is a booger! The line between your natural and relaxed hair can be a real challenge. What I did to keep my hair protected was mostly roller sets, twistouts w/rods, straw sets, buns, etc. These styles help hide your relaxed hair and camouflages our natural hair. The styles may become a little redundant, but it keeps you from using too much heat and it keeps your natural hair moisturized and conditioned. I also had to deep condition my hair more often.

Rosemary oil you can dilute it in water and make a spritz. Rosemary is a healing agent and it's said to stimulate hair growth. It has a very strong scent.

I don't want to overwhelm you so just send my your questions, and I'll do my best to answer! Again, welcome and we're glad to have you!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by divineanalysis 9th May 2010, 4:27 am

Thanks soooo much for your help! I viewed your fotki album and it was VERY inspiring!! I think you inspired a few of my friends and family to consider saying "NO" to relaxers! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I co-washed for the first time on Thursday and tried the twist-n-curl style which I really liked. It lasted one night and one full day, even though I slept on a satin pillowcase, so I would like to know how I can preserve the hairstyle for at lease one more day?

Also, what would you suggest for a daily moisturizer routine? I mixed the rosemary oil with water and sweet almond oil which seems to be working well for the past 3 days.

And my final question for the day...
Besides sulfates and 'cones' in some hair products, what ingredients should I probably avoid so that I can be successful on my healthy hair journey?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I'm just so glad that someone's willing to assist me. I wish I would have stumbled on this website and you 7 or 8 months ago, lol!

Thanks again for your help!!
divineanalysis
divineanalysis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down