CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News

+33
thetiffany
Nikcoils
BrownSkinDiva
Intelligentbeauty
nattyblog
Naturalin2010
priceless
coilykinks
DvaAuNaturel
CurlsGalore
MellowOne
WhosThatRedHead
Serenity23
curly-me-naturally
poeticlyspkng
CocaColaCutie
mstokes2008
jlowman1
Juices-n-Berries
krazy coils
AfrikanLatina
ChrsLvsBks
NubieNatty
KinkyNappyHappy
ktoliver5303
CrissyQ
SheeTacular
sweetdrk1
BlondeByDesire
Lynnieluve
Curly_Aquarius
NylaCoils
curlsunfurled
37 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Empty curlsunfurled - turning over a new leaf, NATURALLY

Post by curlsunfurled 3rd May 2010, 1:28 am

Hello All,

I am curlsunfurled. I have lived in the Houston area practically all my life. This month will be the second anniversary of the last scalp burning relaxer I foolishly convinced myself I needed to put on my hair. curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Icon_cheers I thought what better way celebrate than to join you fabulous ladies and journalize my living naturally curly experience. This may be a challenge because part of my job involves documenting and when come home--it's the last thing I want to do but, I've noticed a few of you can be convincing and could keep in me line (at least weekly)!!

As some of you know, Houston's summers are HOT and HUMID. Prior to August 2009, I wore kinky twists and this will be the first summer that I'll attempt to wear my hair loose. I'm hoping to find a style other than a twist out and this is a great venue to try them out.

P.S. - I'll try to update the avatar - while I'm at it.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Empty Re: curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News

Post by NylaCoils 3rd May 2010, 1:33 am

curls--i know what you mean..., I've noticed a few of you can be convincing and could keep in me line (at least weekly)!!

Someone convinced me to come over here, too!

Welcome to Curl ST
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Empty Re: curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News

Post by Curly_Aquarius 3rd May 2010, 2:02 am

curlsunfurled wrote:Hello All,

I am curlsunfurled. I have lived in the Houston area practically all my life. This month will be the second anniversary of the last scalp burning relaxer I foolishly convinced myself I needed to put on my hair. curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Icon_cheers I thought what better way celebrate than to join you fabulous ladies and journalize my living naturally curly experience. This may be a challenge because part of my job involves documenting and when come home--it's the last thing I want to do but, I've noticed a few of you can be convincing and could keep in me line (at least weekly)!!

As some of you know, Houston's summers are HOT and HUMID. Prior to August 2009, I wore kinky twists and this will be the first summer that I'll attempt to wear my hair loose. I'm hoping to find a style other than a twist out and this is a great venue to try them out.

P.S. - I'll try to update the avatar - while I'm at it.
Girl I called myself going to SplashTown today cause it was so hot! But I changed my mind about going because I decided I did not want to at this moment(I do that sometimes) but it was hot today!
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 3rd May 2010, 10:13 am

Welcome to the Curl Street Journal!!! I'm glad you join us!!

Yes, I konw about the hot summers in TX! curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Icon_eek My family reunion was in Houston, TX July of 2006 curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Affraid. I was like, this is unreal!!! I thought it got hot here in MS but you all have us beat!!

I cant wait to see pics and hear about your regimen!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 3rd May 2010, 11:56 am

Welcome ....
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 3rd May 2010, 12:02 pm

Welcome to Curlstreet!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 3rd May 2010, 12:03 pm

Welcome!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 3rd May 2010, 1:08 pm

welcome, you are going to love it here
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 5th May 2010, 11:43 pm

Okay ladies, here is my story:

I did all of my growing up during the 70’s and 80’s. As a relative once stated, “Girl, you had more HAIR than you had height!” He wasn’t joking. The picture below is of me when I was about four or five.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Age_4_13[img][/img]

I was between four to six years of age when I had my earliest recollection of anything associated with my hair (probably because I was school age). It was thick, soft like cotton, and TANGLED like you would not believe. Thankfully I was not tender headed. My mom was primarily responsible for the upkeep of her hair, my hair, and my sister’s hair (who was is VERY tender headed). At least every other weekend she would only shampoo our hair. Afterwards, she would use Johnson & Johnson’s “No More Tears” detangling spray for me because of the tangles. That stuff was a joke - my neck would snap back so hard when she began detangling my ends (sort of like the girl in “The Color Purple” without all of the OW….OW…OW’s – Mom’s wasn’t having that!) but, I survived. After detangling, the hair grease of the day was used (Blue Ultra Sheen, Green Ultra Sheen, Soft Sheen, Sulfur 8 , you name it) and our hair was braided. At either age seven or eight, I began to get my hair pressed. Sometimes mom would do it and occasionally she would take us to have it professionally done. Picture of my sister and I (on the right – sorry, picture was already out of focus…I’m not sure why). Sis takes animated pictures.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Sis_an11[img][/img]

I REALLY enjoyed having it professionally done because the lady would “bump” a curl on the ends and I could wear it loose. However, the style would be short lived because Houston’s humidity was the baking powder and my hair was the bread dough and after five minutes of exposure to the elements, my hair was going to RISE……POOOOFFFFFFF (pictures of the POOOFFFF action are at my parent’s house and I’ll share another time). My parents thought because my hair was soft that a lye relaxer (what was available at the time) would be too strong. They explained it to me and I was fine with the idea until middle school. There was not a miracle concoction available to control the explosion that was about to happen when I stepped outside. Until – someone created the “no-lye” relaxer. So, as a birthday present at the age of fifteen, I got a Fabulous Fabu-laxer (does anyone remember this stuff?) Before this process, no one told me not to scratch and it did burn. So from the age of fifteen until two years ago, my hair endured my crazy hair do’s – the Cobra (layered to look like a cobra’s head), the Bob, the Tree (ya’ll remember those hard spritzed curls), the Tree with one side of the front shaved (Mom had a very special look for me with that do….”Ain’t you supposed to be looking for a job!” “Who is going hire you lookin’ like that!”), the Sista curl set , French roll and tapered in the back (after wearing it shoulder length for while). My hair has been quite forgiving.

So why go natural? First, though I could maintain length, my hair was limp. No volume, no POOOFFF. Second, I read an article about who was making Black hair care products and was shocked that only a few were Black/African American. The reality set that my money was filling someone else’s pocket and they may not care about the community they are making their living from. So after other failed attempts, almost two years ago I got my last relaxer. I have not looked back and I’m enjoying my little Side-Show Bob do ---

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Pictur10[img][/img]

POOOF! curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Affraid
More pictures to come!!
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 6th May 2010, 12:28 am

I like the pics! And yeah it is getting a little bit too hot here!
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 6th May 2010, 8:06 pm

Curly_Aquarius wrote:I like the pics! And yeah it is getting a little bit too hot here!

Thanks. It is just early May....hate to see what July and August will be.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Empty Twistout

Post by curlsunfurled 12th May 2010, 1:21 am

Hair Regimen for the week of May 3rd:

The products I use from week to week vary because my hair tends not to like to have the items used all of the time. Last week’s style was a twist out.

Saturday evening I shampooed and conditioned hair using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration.

Detangled hair using wide tooth comb and parted hair into 4-6 sections. Using a spray bottle I’ll spray water on my hair as I go if it’s feeling dry.

To style, I two strand twisted hair using Taliah Waajid’s Kinky, Wavy, Natural Easy Herbal Comb Out and sealed ends with Qhemet’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm. I usually have about 10 twists per section. I do not think I have the length to use big twists.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Pictur14[img][/img]

Allow hair to air dry. Kept hair in twists all day Sunday.

Monday morning I started with my hair like this.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Pictur15[img][/img]

Untwisted hair and put a little coconut oil on hair for sheen. By Tuesday, my hair looked like this.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Pictur16[img][/img]

Thursday night, I re-twisted my hair using Qhemet’s AOHC. Friday’s hair looked like this.

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News May7th10[img][/img]

This was the first time I used Taliah Waajid’s products for styling. While my hair felt very soft and moisturized, it was “EHH” overall. I’m not sure if humidity was a factor but, there was some frizz. However, I was very pleased with Thursday’s retwist results.

This week, I did a Twist and Curl using Shea Moisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Curl & Style Milk.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 12th May 2010, 1:46 am

Your hair is so thick and long! I can say with the frizz that humidity in the H is REAL! So it can be what is causing it.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 12th May 2010, 1:53 am

I love your twists out results. I remember at the meet-up thinking you have a lot of hair!!! After reading your journey to the present I see you retained your thickness!!!

You know my hair liked Taliah Waajid's products for about two weeks. That's about all I got out of that produce.

How did you like the Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Curl & Style Milk!!

Also, have you heard of The Original Fragrance Shop? It's some where on my side of town. (North Houston) The hair care products there has gotten a couple of nods!! Check it out!!1

Well...I'm moving on down the road!!

See you later!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 12th May 2010, 10:59 pm

@ktoliver - Thanks for the compliment! Last week the H gave us a taste of what to expect this summer. I had a meeting in downtown Houston and my manager was attending. We parked acrossed the street from the building. From the time it took to I step out of the car and into the building my began to look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket - it wasn't pretty!

@KNH - Thank you. I really, really like the Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Curl & Style Milk. This is the third time I've used this product and the results have been consistent. It has light hold and is moisturizing. I think it could be a HG! I'm not sure what to do with Taliah Waajid, I give it away to either my sister and a cousin who has a little girl. I have not heard of the Original Fragrance Shop but, I will check it out. I'm always down for a road trip! curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Icon_biggrin
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th May 2010, 9:29 am

Well...let me know when you take that road trip cause OFS is on my side of town. Maybe we can go together.

Hey...I haven't gotten the e-mail yet...can you forward it to me? Let me know if you need my personal e-mail address.

I'll check back with you later!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th May 2010, 9:43 am

WELCOME!! maaaaan, that heat in houston CLEARLY is no joke! i visited a few years ago (my brother went to texas southern) and i swear...i aint step out til AFTER 9p and it was STILL like 80-90 degrees of dry air at night. In the daytime i told my brother to start the car wit the AC on blast before i step foot outside! it was clearly no need to wear makeup cuz i just wanted to walk around n splash my face wit water every 10 min. Mind u this was my permie days so you KNOW it was so hot i didnt even care about my edges. i started off wit cute shirley temple curls n ended up wit a poof i didnt even want!

i love the hospitality of texas tho. i would go to the mall n folks would just start convo out the blue. i aint use to that type of niceness in the DMV!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th May 2010, 10:31 am

I just realized I hadnt been over your house yet!! Welcome to the neighborhood....Loved the blast from the past pics and the retwisted twist out!!

@ nubie - That's called Southern Hospitality!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 14th May 2010, 10:03 pm

Thanks ladies for stopping by !curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News 617583

@ KNH - I'll send the meet up notice to you today. I may visit the OFS during Memorial Day weekend. It will give me plenty of time to pick goodies.

@ nubie - LOL, yeah it takes a while to get use to Houston's weather. Did running the AC in the car before you travelled help? There are days when I'll turn the AC on and it's still hot 30 mins. later. By then I'm already home. I have a friend who moved here (in June) from Baltimore about 12 years ago. That summer, a group of us went to New Orleans for a weekend. We walked from the hotel to Jackson Square (about 2-5 minutes) and she was covered in sweat. New Orleans humidity is about 10 times Houston's. I felt fine but, she was suffering - poor thing. Overall Houstonians are friendly people but there are times when you'll run into a "special" person and southern hospitality gets thrown out the window.

@lynnieluve - Thanks for visiting! I'm discovering re-twisting adds length. I really want to try some other hairstyles but, I get impatient and go back to the twists. You're very versatile with your hair. I hope to get there some day.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 16th May 2010, 3:12 am

Hey Curls! Girl I been kinda absent with school and work but I'm loving the hair results! And it has gotten a lil to hot for me to even go to the mailbox in the afternoon I wait until like 5-6 pm now, and this rain is gonna make it worst!
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 16th May 2010, 11:21 am

Memorial Day weekend? That would work for me...I'll PM you and we can come up with a time!!

I e-mailed loveself247 she's going to send me the meet-up information. I can't wait to see you, JnB (if she comes) CurlyA and all of the H-Town CN curlies!!!

I am so going to be late for church....and I didn't get home until late last night so I gotta go!!

I'll check back with you later!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 25th May 2010, 11:29 pm

@Curly Aquarius - That's quite alright. I do understand. The job was exhausting last week and I did not feel much like doing anything when I got home. I like the new do!

@KNH - Hey, you go girl with that new avi, hairstyle, and henna!
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Empty Updated 5/25 - TnC results using Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibsicus Conditioning Milk

Post by curlsunfurled 25th May 2010, 11:37 pm

Sorry for not checking in earlier but, work was giving me the BLUES last week...

This week I did a twist and curl using Shea Moisture's Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Curl & Style Milk. This is about the fourth time I've used this product and so far it has not failed. Not to mention I can pick it up at Target for $10.

Shampooed hair with Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Pure Castille Soap and Chagrin Valley’s Babassu & Marsh Mallow Shampoo Bar

Conditioned hair with Yes to Carrots (I let sit on my hair for about 30 – 45 minutes). Rinsed and detangled my hair.

Sectioned hair and began two strand twists using Shea Moisture’s Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Curl & Style Milk. Sealed ends with castor oil. When my hair began to get dry, I would spray it with tap water (just enough to dampen hair). Used pink/fuchsia perm rods to curl ends and let hair air dry.

I kept my hair twisted Sunday. I had a serious headache Monday and just untwisted my hair. I was not feeling fussy and I did not care if the front flopped in front of face – my sister said I looked like a poodle. Tuesday, I tried something different and used to small hair clip to keep the hair out of my face. See the avatar for the results.

Next week I think I'm going to try bantu knot outs!
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 25th May 2010, 11:48 pm

I had a difficult time inserting the picture for my update and decided to just change the avatar instead. I'll get the hang of this eventually! curlsunfurled - Updated 2/18 - Thank You and Great News Icon_biggrin
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 26th May 2010, 12:24 am

You brought back memories writing about your childhood. I remember the washes and thick grease. I did not like it when my nanny (grandmother) would take out the Sulfur 8. Ewwww, the smell. Blue Magic is thick as all out and smelled also. Those were the days. I was like you and not tenderheaded while my cousin was.

Your hair is beautiful--thick and full!

Welcome to Curl Street!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next