CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

am ii REALLY natural?!

4 posters

Go down

am ii REALLY natural?! Empty am ii REALLY natural?!

Post by KeyshDiiva 23rd April 2010, 8:18 pm

Hi Curly Nikki

LOVE your blog..you have encouraged me to try some styles and I HATE doin my own hair, but Im starting to get the hang of it Smile). I haven't had a perm since April 2005, I didn't want to do the BC so I transitioned using braids and weaves and gradually trimmed. Once I stop transitioning I wore my hair straight. I go to the hairdresser every 2wks to get a wash and curl. My hair is the healthiest and longiest its ever been. (Its about to the end of my neck/collarbone area..VERY exciting since I was ALWAYS the girl with no hair lol) But sometimes im the like the joke of my other natural friends who wear their hair curly. My friends act as if I'm not really a natural girl because I don't wear my hair curly. Sometimes in between appts I'll do a twist and curl, but my curls aren't as defined. Is that because I straighten my hair? Am I still considered natural and would my hair be longer and healthier if I stop wearing it straight? Also is a blowdry and curl twice a month too much heat?...Thanks Nikki any advice you give will be apprecaited Smile

KeyshDiiva

Back to top Go down

am ii REALLY natural?! Empty Re: am ii REALLY natural?!

Post by krissyc39 25th April 2010, 6:55 pm

Well, yes and no. Yes because I assume you aren't putting any chemicals on your hair so that's good on your part. No because your hair isn't in its true kinky/curly natural state. I think your friends still see you as someone with relaxed hair because you constantly wear it straight.

Heat is damaging. Especially if your hair is lacking moisture. It's very possible that heat damage may be killing your curl but through some deep conditioning treatments you can get some of the curl back. Henna's a great conditioner although with repeated use you can find a looser texture (which can be a good or a bad thing... depends on you)

What products do you use in the twist out? I never really got a good result until I used melted cocao butter after my products (to seal the ends) and made sure my hair was 100% dry before I took the twists out.

Hope this helps!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 25th April 2010, 10:10 pm

I think you're completely natural, like you said, you haven't permed since 2005 so the head growing out of your head is completely yours. That said, you might be damaging you hair by applying so much heat. You may be one of the lucky ladies resistant to heat damage, but sooner or later all that heat might harm you hair. But don't let anybody tell you you're not natural because you straighten your hair with heat. I think that's taking it a bit too far.
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by KeyshDiiva 26th April 2010, 8:40 pm

Thanks ladies for both of your opinions. I feel as tho I am natural too..I have no chemicals in my hair and havent for years..only use Aveda products in my hair currently...my hair still curls into a fro when washed but my curls are looser than my friends..however, i was also thinkin that my friends' hair texture is more coarser than mine which could also explain the tighter curl...how would i know if i have heat damage?..i dont have split ends and my hair isnt frizzy..my hair dresser specializes in Natural hair..all the women that go to this salon and work there are natural and wear their hair straight...so if i get my hair straightened twice a month and I pincurl and wrap it in btwn appts...i could have damaged hair from just using heat twice a month?...also is henna dye?..and on my twist out i seal with shea butter and use hello hydration to wash...i dont use a leave in which may be why my twist out dont last as long...i think my real reason for wearing my hair straight is because i have NEVER been able to do my hair...im just one of those ppl that are helpless when it comes to my hair..

KeyshDiiva

Back to top Go down

Post by LovingLife 25th July 2010, 2:04 am

i agree, i dont think it means you arent natural! And i also dont think that going in twice a month to get your hair straightened will do any harm. I think it is GREAT that you go to a salon that specializes in Natural hair. How do they straighten it?? with a flat iron? Im sure however they do it, if it is a damaging way, they take care of your hair, you did mention that your hair is the healthiest its been! i am not sure of products and such, i am a new transitioner, and still learning! =]=]
LovingLife
LovingLife

http://www.twitter.com/DesireeCarey

Back to top Go down

Post by KeyshDiiva 26th July 2010, 8:56 pm

Thanks...since i posted that..I decided to stop straightening my hair only for trims...i guess ive become obsessed with natural hair blogs lol... and ive always wanted my hair like Kelis' and hae worn many weaves trying to achieve this look...i figured why not try my own look with my curly hair and i havent turned back since [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ....i even got my younger sis to go natural..she just recently big chopped..but yeah i really LOVE my salon..it would be awesome if they actually did natural styles which they dont...but they do everything else and my hair stylist will tell someone in a minute that they hair gon look just as good as if they had a perm...yeah she straightens with the flat iron...she always gives me a deep conditioner before blow drying my hair..and she does use a moisturizing heat protectant by Aveda..they pretty much only use Aveda products and Goldwell Elumen for color...i will keep going to her for trims and when i wanna wear my hair straight..i dont trust myself doing it lol oh and for color also since im thinkin about that..thanks again for your comments/opinions

KeyshDiiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down