CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna on 4a/4b hair

+35
prettybrown213
birdlady
popsbaby
Shrinkage
blasiancurly
BajanPrincess82
naturalchic
queenshakirah
Carolina Natural
freckledmom4
CrissyQ
goombagirl
KeAnia
mssassy
WhosThatRedHead
Naturally Nu*
EbonyQueen
kanishanashay
vcoutureex3
Lilith_Eve
R2D2
Brown eyes Vandaleur
mizzy247
asanterochelle
afrochic
Thetruthisoutthere
naijachick
judik
TMS
bambiix2
Tahlove
darkbeautytt
Niqui36
Curlock Holmes
LuvvTiffany
39 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Henna on 4a/4b hair - Page 3 Empty Re: Henna on 4a/4b hair

Post by Naturally Nu* 30th July 2010, 3:50 am

Thanks! So go get your henna on girl!

My hair is pulled back in this pic. I had the window wide open so that all the sunlight can come in...that's why it looks so red here.
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 5th August 2010, 8:11 am

Wow.... so much good info on henna. I don't have anything to add just wanted to say I enjoyed reading all of this information!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by mssassy 5th August 2010, 1:44 pm

I see you ladies talking about BAQ henna and I've heard about Jamila brand. Is there any other brands that are trusted and bring the same results?

Ms. Sassy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mssassy
mssassy

http://naturalhairbymssassy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 6th August 2010, 4:07 am

Dulhan mehandi is a brand of BAQ henna that I was impressed with, the red on my greys was beautiful.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by mssassy 7th August 2010, 3:05 am

Ok, thanks R2D2. I will be trying my first henna soon and wanted to make sure I did it right!
mssassy
mssassy

http://naturalhairbymssassy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Henna on 4a/4b hair - Page 3 Empty Henna Help

Post by KeAnia 7th August 2010, 11:10 pm

Hi Guys all of your comments have been very helpful. I hennaed last night for the first time and I am unsure about how I feel about it. I purchased from whole foods and mixed with some ACV, EVOO, Honey, water and a little cinnamon. I cowashed first and left in over night. When I rinsed this morning I cowashed with Giovanni 50/50 and also left some in for a couple hours covered with a shower cap. I do think it loosened my curls some but it feels a little rough. I am not sure about my hair type but i think it is closer to the 4a/4b type.
I was also thinking about Henna my daughters hair (4) for the strength and curl loosening. I am open to any suggestions and DC tricks.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 7th August 2010, 11:14 pm

Keania, What type of henna did you use? The henna that I've seen at Whole Foods is more of a hair dye indstead of the Beauty Art Quality.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 8th August 2010, 12:16 am

@ WhosThatRedHead

Yes that is exactly what it was. This was my first time so the next time I know. I think I will try to look for and Indian store or order it for the next time.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 9th August 2010, 11:57 am

I think I feel educated enough and confident enough to do my first henna. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 9th August 2010, 7:08 pm

goombagirl wrote:I think I feel educated enough and confident enough to do my first henna. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It will be fine!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 9th August 2010, 7:53 pm

im so scared.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 9th August 2010, 9:24 pm

Come on CrissyQ, take the plunge!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 9th August 2010, 10:32 pm

CrissyQ wrote:im so scared.

freckledmom4 wrote:Come on CrissyQ, take the plunge!

Peer Pressure!!! C'mon!!! Be ONE OF US...... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I won't tell! We can have bright red hair together.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 10th August 2010, 3:13 am

Oooooh lawd! I the shipping cost almost as much as the henna! Sheesh!
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 10th August 2010, 7:47 am

goombagirl wrote:Oooooh lawd! I the shipping cost almost as much as the henna! Sheesh!

You don't have any Indian stores in your area? That's where I got mine. I found an international market that specializes in Middle Eastern stuff.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 10th August 2010, 10:28 am

@ goombadgirl, do a google search on Indian Stores in your area. A lot of ladies use store brought henna. There is Dulhan, Nupar, Reshema & Karishma (Please check my spelling on these) I'm trying Karishma this weekend which has other herbs like amla in it, but I think I might try Reshema since it's 100% henna and no other herbs. I have all the other herbs @ home anyway. Plus you can always try butters-n-bars she's going to have a henna sale if it's not already going on now.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 10th August 2010, 11:04 am

@ WhosThatRedhead and Carolina Natural thank you both. I've read the horror stories about how the henna was of inferior quality and I just didn't want to chance it, but I will check out the brands you've recommended.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 17th August 2010, 7:16 pm

hi everybody!
just wanted to put my 2 cents in on my henna experience. i have 4a/4b grade hair that is VERY thick and a mix of sandy and dark brown. i use BAQ henna for african hair (mehandi.com) it made my hair stronger and shinier (less breakage when combed wet or dry) easier to comb and style (i guess it may have loosened my curl pattern slightly) i love the results and plan to henna once a month. my mix is:
100mg of the BAQ henna for african hair
diluted lemon juice
mix this together until henna is consistency of mashed potatoes (approx 8 oz of the liquid)
let this sit overnight for dye release (the henna barely turns my hair red since it's so naturally dark)
the next morning i add strong green or black tea to the mixture until the henna is the consistency of pudding, then add a few tablespoons of honey to make it extra smooth.
i apply it to clean, dry, sectioned hair, wrap it up in plastic, let it sit for at least 4 hrs, then rinse rinse rinse!
i then do a quick wash with carol's daughter khoret amen shampoo with sea moss, then deep condition with one of her hair smoothies.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 17th August 2010, 10:53 pm

Hello Ladies I finally found a henna mix that worked I added Amla to mine and I love the results. I use Jamila henna, and with the amla it seemed easier to rinse out and after dc my hair was super soft and strong, little to no breakage Smile im def a happy camper. I had to rinse out longer and that totally made a difference.

My henna mix was Jamila henna, with green tea, let sit overnight, then added amla, with honey and a little evco. I have happy hair.
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 18th August 2010, 5:15 pm

just realized BAQ henna for african hair is the same as jamila henna smh @myself lol afro
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 18th August 2010, 8:39 pm

Hi Guys

I am going to do a henna gloss this weekend using some left over henna for when I did my hair 2 weeks ago. I orginally mixed it with EVOO, ACV, Yogurt, and Honey. I want to make it make it like a deep conditioner. Any suggestions are welcome.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 19th August 2010, 7:09 pm

keania wrote:Hi Guys

I am going to do a henna gloss this weekend using some left over henna for when I did my hair 2 weeks ago. I orginally mixed it with EVOO, ACV, Yogurt, and Honey. I want to make it make it like a deep conditioner. Any suggestions are welcome.

Just add a moisturizing conditioner that is cone and protein free and you should be good to go!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 19th August 2010, 10:46 pm

I purchased Light Mountain brand Cover the Gray from my natural foods store. It was about $11.00 and each kit contains 100g packets of Henna and Indigo, gloves, plastic cap and instructions.

http://www.light-mountain-hair-color.com/

I have also tried Rainbow from Whole foods in my henna/indigo glaze.

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=qtmf0n6djl873c6h8kptava633

Rainbow by itself is extremely messy. Clumpy, flaking with dark dribbles down the forehead. But it was all natural - and I can live with that.

Both brands left my hair dry - even with deep conditioning. But it's better than BIGEN Evil or Very Mad

I have also ordered samples from Mehandi.com (approximately $1.00 each) to try, and I was very satisfied with the results.

HTH

ps. I'm just scared of putting lemon juice on my hair, and the Light Mountain and Rainbow brands use water to release the color.
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 19th August 2010, 11:26 pm

Thetruthisoutthere wrote:I purchased Light Mountain brand Cover the Gray from my natural foods store. It was about $11.00 and each kit contains 100g packets of Henna and Indigo, gloves, plastic cap and instructions.

http://www.light-mountain-hair-color.com/

I have also tried Rainbow from Whole foods in my henna/indigo glaze.

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=qtmf0n6djl873c6h8kptava633

Rainbow by itself is extremely messy. Clumpy, flaking with dark dribbles down the forehead. But it was all natural - and I can live with that.

Both brands left my hair dry - even with deep conditioning. But it's better than BIGEN Evil or Very Mad

I have also ordered samples from Mehandi.com (approximately $1.00 each) to try, and I was very satisfied with the results.

HTH

ps. I'm just scared of putting lemon juice on my hair, and the Light Mountain and Rainbow brands use water to release the color.

I am glad to know that I didn't do any thing wrong. I purchased the light mountain from Whole foods and it also left my hair dry and crunchy feeling. I purchased two boxes and still have one left. After I use the one I have left I am going to order me some BAQ Henna.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 20th August 2010, 11:04 am

@ Kenia and Thetruth- Dryness is a common side effect of using henna. The only time that I didn't get extreme dryness is when I mixed with coconut milk, but then again the color was not as deep etiher. I just try to up my game with water based moisturizers all week after henna'ing. At the end of the week, the moisture balance returns. HTH.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next