CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY

+22
CurlsGalore
jlowman1
krazy coils
FemmeFox
ChrsLvsBks
SheeTacular
Pinkrage
CrissyQ
jcanalena79
Intelligentbeauty
ktoliver5303
sweetdrk1
BlondeByDesire
LaToya28
NhappyJackie
KinkyNappyHappy
Juices-n-Berries
bholmes87
Nikcoils
Lynnieluve
MellowOne
KnottyKinkyMommy
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Empty KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 13th April 2010, 7:59 pm

Well first off, thank you for taking the time to enjoy my chronicles. I first went natural on September 12, 2006. I've done many Big Chops since then...probably between 8 and 10. I would get frustrated and cut it...BALD...and I even texturized my hair twice...those were a horrible two months.

Anyhow, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl in March of 2009. She just turned one and has a head full of kinky hair. I figured, I have to deal with her hair, so why not just learn to deal with mine in its natural state. So, me and my daughter are on this road together. By the way, both of our hair types are 4B although my daughter has a bit of 4A mixed in.

I will be using this space as a hair diary. A place to chronicle the ups and downs of me and my daughter' s hair.

Here is a slideshow of my first Big Chop as well as my latest Big Chop. The pic of me in blue is my hair as of April 2010. The last picture is of my daughter's hair. A friend of mine styled it and it was so cute.

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY BtnKNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Btn_viewallimages

As far as products:

I am currently using:
Avocado Butter
Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair Butter
Pink Short Looks SazzAFraz Spray
Kids Organics Olive Oil and Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo
Aussie Moist Conditioner

Ashanti is currently using:
Avocado Butter
Kids Organics Olive Oil and Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo
Kids Organics Olive Oil and Shea Butter Moisturizing Hair Lotion

In terms of a regimen:

My Regimen:
Shampoo and Deep Condition Hair Once a Week
Co-wash once during the week
Moisturize with Spray and Butter as Needed

Ashanti's Regimen:
Shampoo and Condition Hair Once a Week
Moisturize with Lotion and Butter as Needed

Styles:

Me:
I will be rocking my picked out fro, a headscarf or a wig...depends on my mood.

Ashanti:
Ponytwists or Ponypuffs with barettes

That is all...
KnottyKinkyMommy, Over and Out...
afro

Last edited by KnottyKinkyMommy on 20th September 2010, 3:08 pm; edited 9 times in total
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Empty Re: KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY

Post by MellowOne 13th April 2010, 8:03 pm

Welcome! You can really see how your edges filled in within the first month after your BC. Look forward to reading more on your journey KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Icon_smile
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Empty Re: KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 13th April 2010, 8:14 pm

Thank you! I'm off to check out your thread Very Happy
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th April 2010, 8:26 pm

Welcome!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 13th April 2010, 9:02 pm

Welcome...you motivated to put my daughter on some type of regimine. She was bald her first 2 years of life but not that she is 4 has a head full of hair and is tenderheaded or shall i say has no patience for getting her hair done. Even thogh she wants big hair like mommy.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 13th April 2010, 10:46 pm

Welcome!! That's great that your daughter has a regimen! I'm loving the pictures too I love you
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 14th April 2010, 3:28 am

Welcome to the challenge!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th April 2010, 8:57 am

Welcome KKM~

Congratulations on you FINAL bc!! Very Happy You will get a lot of support here, and with your natural experience provide support an input as well.

I do have a question, and I hope this doesn't sound like an interview. However, what has been your frustration in the past that cause you to bc about 8 or 10 times?

I ask because I've ofter wonder if I should start over for several reasons, and a co-worker has expressed doing a bc again as well.

I look forward to following your journey!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 14th April 2010, 9:53 am

Thanks for the warm welcoming everyone!

@KinkyNappyHappy: I Big chopped the first time because there was a brittle patch at the crown of my head that I was having problems with. I chopped a couple of times after that because I could not find a good moisturizer and I'd get frustrated with my hair breaking off everywhere. I texturized my short fro and big chopped a month later. Then I did the dame thing again! I thought maintaining permed hair would be easier. Boy was I wrong. I hated it and big chopped two months later. That last chop was in February and this time I'm not chopping anymore!!!

@NPMoore: Thanks for dropping by! How do you get your daughter to sit still when you style her hair? How often do you style it?

Also @ all of the parents: How do you get your child to sit still when you style their hair? How often do you style it?
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 14th April 2010, 11:33 am

Welcome and Thanks for joining the Challenge!!!!! As for my DDs. The 4yo get her hair done 1/week unless she is just wearing ponytails. I keep her still by putting in a movie and we take breaks to dance, sing, play, just entertian so she won't get board. From start to finish her hair takes about 3-4hrs. My 10month old get her hair done every other day. She doesn't have much, so she just gets a ponytail on the top of her head. For both of them, I co-wash weekly and moisturize as needed. For the oldest I shampoo 1/6weeks and clip her ends every 4months because she is transitioning.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th April 2010, 11:39 am

@KinkyNappyHappy: I Big chopped the first time because there was a brittle patch at the crown of my head that I was having problems with. I chopped a couple of times after that because I could not find a good moisturizer and I'd get frustrated with my hair breaking off everywhere. I texturized my short fro and big chopped a month later. Then I did the dame thing again! I thought maintaining permed hair would be easier. Boy was I wrong. I hated it and big chopped two months later. That last chop was in February and this time I'm not chopping anymore!!!

Thanks KKM

Same frustrations, just trying to stay focused and looking at the big picture!!

Good luck this time around, and if you hang around here there are a lot of curlies that will give you support!!

Have a blessed day!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 14th April 2010, 11:42 am

Welcome! I look forward to reading more of your (and your daughter's) hair journey.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 14th April 2010, 12:32 pm

I try to do style with my daughter that will last a week, like braids or twist. If I don't then I will comb it everyday or every other day depending on if her bonnet stays on. She is 5 and I give her a snack and turn cartoons on but she still fake has to use the bathroom like a gazillion times KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Kopfschuettel . I also try to do it at night when she is tired because if I'm luck she will fall asleep KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Icon_biggrin
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 15th April 2010, 10:07 am

@ NHappyJackie and MellowOne: Thanks for the tips. I wil try to keep them in mind when I'm styling Ashanti's Hair. Yesterday I put her in the highchair, turned on Nick Jr. and she actually sat there and let me style her whole head! I was in shock! YAY!!!

@KNH and Latoya28: Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hair Update

Yesterday, I shampooed and conditioned my hair. Afterwards, I towel dried and applied my Pink SazzAFrazz Spray. But my hair was just so crispy and crunchy. I would just put my hand to my head and it would be filled with broken off strands.

And I am also noticing some single strand knots which are annoying as H E double hockey sticks! So this morning I drenched my hair in Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and sprayed my SazzAFrazz on top. I'm hoping that this remedies the problem. My hair LOVES butter! Because of this little issue, I am not going to comb or shampoo my hair for an entire week. I'm just going to drench it in butter and spray and keep it moving.

Ashanti on the other hand sat in her high chair and let me style her whole head. I'm so proud! I used my SazzAFrazz spray on her hair and it was decently soft without any residue. I think the key to styling her hair, is to do it while it is wet, damp or drenched in product because as soon as it dries it beads up.

Last edited by KnottyKinkyMommy on 15th April 2010, 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 15th April 2010, 10:12 am

Good Morning and welcome ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th April 2010, 10:21 am

Hello and Welcome!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 15th April 2010, 10:25 am

WELCOME!! I look forward to reading your journey.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 15th April 2010, 11:55 am

KKM, maybe you should try and put down the shampoo for a couple of weeks. Shampoos can strip your hair of natural nutrients, so we follow-up with conditioners to replace that. Most conditioners are strong enough to clean your hair just as well as a shampoo with out the stripping. Try to co-wash and see if that will help with the breakage and dryness and knots. Follow-up with an oil to seal in the moisture (you probably already know all of this info) and only use a comb on your soaking wet hair. See if it helps. And if your hair is breaking off, try doing a protein treatment. I DC'ed my daughter's hair with Giovanni Smooth as Silk because her hair was breaking off terribly. The very next day I noticed a difference and now, a week later I am still not seeing any breakage.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th April 2010, 12:37 pm

Look at your NHJackie giving out that great advice. I would like to add you do weekly deep conditioning treatments as well. Olive oil and coconut oil works really well on my hair.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 15th April 2010, 12:41 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Look at your NHJackie giving out that great advice. I would like to add you do weekly deep conditioning treatments as well. Olive oil and coconut oil works really well on my hair.

Thanks for the shout out Lynn!!!! I knew I forgot something.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 15th April 2010, 1:16 pm

That's great that she let you do her whole head. Yes I would say definitely do it while it wet you may even want to get a spray bottle with water to style on none wash days just to get it a little damp. I have started deep conditioning my daughters hair also and I have noticed a change. I have only done it like twice so there are still some of those little poppy hairs but not as many as before. She has really dry hair so I am trying to find a moisturizer without mineral oil in it that works for her. Its all a learning process, hopefully we can all help each other KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY Icon_biggrin
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 16th April 2010, 10:51 pm

@ NHappyJackie: Thanks for the advice! In my attempt to stop "picking/combing" my hair, I put my hair in twists. I am going to try my best to only comb it when its loaded with conditioner. My hair hates protein but as for cowashing, I haven't done it in ages. Maybe I will try it again when I take my twists out.

@LynnieLuve I never deep condition my hair--ever. Embarassed Perhaps this is the problem. I have coconut, olive, shea olein and babassu oils here...as well as tons of butter...aloe, avocado, olive and sweet almond. Perhaps, I will attempt to make me a deep conditioning concotion because I'm trying not to buy any more hair products.

@ MellowOne Thats cool. I avoid deep conditioning Ashanti's hair because she hates the water so much. Maybe when she gets a bit older I will start doing this because I'm sure it would help.

--------------------------------------------

Hair Update!!!!:

I can't believe it, but I was able to put twists in my 1.5 inches of hair. The camera really isn't doing me justice because they look really good. My brother even complimented me on them--which is RARE!!!

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY IMG_2366

woot! dance woot!
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th April 2010, 1:13 am

I love it!! Like I said on the other thread, I am glad you tried it. Maybe you will inspire some other curlies with TWAs to give it a try!!

My first set of twist looked so pitiful. Yours look great!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th April 2010, 1:22 am

WELCOM AND HAVE FUN HERE Very Happy

THERE IS A CURLYPARENTS SECTION ON CN. CHECK IT OUT FOR TIPS ON YOUR DAUGHTER'S HAIR.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 17th April 2010, 2:53 am

KNOTTYKINKYMOMMY---MAJOR UPDATE--PIC HEAVY 36_1_55 on your first twists!!! Lookin good!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next