CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves

+6
krenea
~JOME~
KinkyNappyHappy
lumii
truet
noski
10 posters

Go down

keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves Empty keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves

Post by noski 19th March 2010, 5:36 pm

pls i do need HELP!
Since my hair (especially the back n edges) has refused to grow i have decided to wear braids and weaves for the next 3-6 months. my question is how do i keep my hair mositurized in braids? i saw the oyin handmade juices n berries , do you ladies think that will help? i have braids on now, i just spray every morning with water+ peppermint oil, and then apply shea butter to my edges and cantu shea butter leave-in occasionally, but i want something for my whole head.
pls any suggestions will be appreciated

Last edited by noski on 19th March 2010, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

noski

Back to top Go down

keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves Empty Re: keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves

Post by truet 19th March 2010, 5:55 pm

I myself is finishing( been wearing them for about 3 months) up a braid challenge myself and I like to wet my hair at least twice a week, oil it at least three times a week with evoo and deep condition it once a week. this makes my hair feel nice and soft. I think keepING you routine as if you dont have braids. I dont know anything about weaves but this is what I am doing for my braids. hope this helped [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves Empty Re: keeping hair moisturized in braids/weaves

Post by lumii 19th March 2010, 8:01 pm

When I have my braids I just moisturize my scalp. The rest of your hair gets the moistire automatically.. I guess
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by noski 19th March 2010, 9:48 pm

thanks for your response truet & lumii
Will same regimen work for kinky twist too? i'm going to get kinky twist nextweek.
@truet, how did your braid challenge go? did you do it for hair growth too?

noski

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th March 2010, 10:17 am

Not sure about kinky twist, but I'm currently wearing braids now and I use the following regiment:

Use castor oil mixture on scalp as needed
Co-wash as needed (when my scalp is itchy)
Spray Oyin Frank Juice or Braid Spray as needed for moisture
Seal my strands with EVOO after I co-wash my braids

I had my edges redone last night, and my braider let me touch a couple of sections, and can I say MOIST!!!!

I had kinky twist and I wasn't successfully in keeping my hair moist. Could have been contributed to the fact that I didn't know what I was doing....
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by noski 20th March 2010, 3:14 pm

tnx kinkyhappynappy,
what did you do for moisture when you had your kinky twist? i probably can modify to suit me, i just want to have an idea

noski

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 20th March 2010, 5:42 pm

noski wrote:tnx kinkyhappynappy,
what did you do for moisture when you had your kinky twist? i probably can modify to suit me, i just want to have an idea

I was just about to make a thread about this cuz I'm getting my 1st set of kinky twists next week and have no idea how to maintain them...
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by truet 20th March 2010, 8:19 pm

noski wrote:thanks for your response truet & lumii
Will same regimen work for kinky twist too? i'm going to get kinky twist nextweek.
@truet, how did your braid challenge go? did you do it for hair growth too?

I have a little under a week for my challenge it is going well, I did it for the growth and to stop touching it for three months. Im not sure about kinky twist never had them
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 21st March 2010, 2:31 am

I'm on a 2 month protective style challenge and on my 6th week. I've been wearing extension that I put in myself (currently on my 3rd set because I crave change and don't like ratting-looking hair). That said, I wet my hair in the shower almost every morning, then use a color applicator bottle filled with oil and oil my scalp with it. If I don't feel like dripping or if I'm in a hurry to leave the house, I just spray my roots with water. Once per week, I apply a leave in conditioner to my roots. This routine has kept my hair extremely moisturized...I take an extension or two down to redo or just to see/play with my hair...And each time I do, I find that my hair is soft, shiny and healthy-looking!
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by noski 21st March 2010, 5:52 pm

thanks Krenea,
what kind of extension do you have on that you can wet every morning, i'm usually too scared to get my hair wet when i have extensions...lol

@truet, i'm glad to hear your challenge is going well, i hope i see good results with mine too.......my hair is just acting out...lol

@Jome, i'm getting mine next week too, i probably might shampoo & deep condition once in 2 weeks, spritz everymorning with my water+peppermint+EVCO mix, and use shea butter on my edges and my cantu sheabutter leave-in condish maybe 2x per week.

noski

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st March 2010, 8:59 pm

I read on Naturallycurly.com a great post of using conditioner, water, coconut oil, and jojoba/EVOO to moisturize your kinky twists. I did it and it worked wonderfully. My hair was extremely soft and healthy when I removed the kinky twists.

Now for weaves, which I've done several times while transitioning and before the BC, you need to be sure to wash in between the braided rows of hair. You can probably use some type of hair butter to moisturize the braids that the hair is sewn onto and make sure you cleanse in between when co-washing/shampooing.

HTH.

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 21st March 2010, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 22nd March 2010, 2:33 am

@noski...I had the wavy style you'll see in the link below for 3 weeks. Now, I have the Chaka. Next, I'm going to do the baby curl twists, I think, for another 3 weeks to extend my challenge from 8 weeks to 11. I'm just loving healthier hair, growth, flexibility, and being able to have hands in hair sydrome without worrying about drying out/damaging my hair.

Anyway, since my camera is broken, I can't upload pictures, so here is a link to the site where I've been drawing inspiration and must add that I've pretty much nailed the Chaka to a tee!

http://www.khamitkinks.com/weaves.html
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 22nd March 2010, 10:07 am

@noski--I wore braids for 2 months recently and what I did was mix EVOO and a few drops of Carol's Daughter Tui Hair Oil in a dropper bottle and oiled my scalp as needed. I would also co-wash once or twice a mouth. After I co-washed I would mix some melted some shea butter and coconut oil together and massage it through my hair. Once I did that I would seal with my oil mix. HTH!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd March 2010, 1:00 pm

I wore weaves for 13 months when I began this journey and because of the texture of hair I purchased (www.halleyscurls.com) I was able to cowash weekly. I used diluted conditioner or shampoo in an spray bottle and applied in between my tracks and horshoe. I moisturized with braid sprays and sealed with my own mix of EVOO, peppermint, tea tree and sweet orange oils.

It's been about 4 months since my last weave install yet I plan to wear a partial for the summer months.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 22nd March 2010, 1:52 pm

I don't wear weaves at all, but I do wear braids and twists a lot (no extensions). When my hair's in twists, I usually just spray it with water, rub in some Alba Botanica Leave-In (which is great, btw), and seal with coconut oil. You could also use a water & regular conditioner spritz (I recommend the TJ Nourish Spa, if you have a Trader Joe's near you) or a water & vegetable glycerin or aloe vera gel/juice spritz with any oil your hair likes to seal. You can find all this at Whole Foods or any health food store (except the TJ conditioner).

Back to top Go down

Post by noski 6th April 2010, 2:10 am

Thanks ladies for all your advise, they were really helpful.
So, i finally got my kinky twist done 3 days ago....yay!!!!
This has been my regimen for the past 2 days:
-spritz 2x a day with my water+peppermint oil mix
-apply sheabutter to my edges and root of the twists (just the ones in front, i cant go thru my whole head...lol)
-EVCO to the twisted strand at night
-(i will add DC + co-wash to my regime)

Question: do you think i'm wasting time applying the EVCO to the twisted strand since its the extension that is the bulk of the hair?

i was thinking about that.....is this enogh to moisturize my hair?

noski

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 6th April 2010, 11:59 am

The EVCO will moisture your hair that is braided with the extension hair. Continue to spritz and seal. Check this site out for additional tips: www.growafrohairlong.com
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by noski 6th April 2010, 12:48 pm

Tnx Hamptonsfnst,
that website is very infomative too.

noski

Back to top Go down

Post by noski 18th April 2010, 11:39 pm

tnx again for all the advise, i just want to give a little update on my "twist for growth" journey.....lol......
i have been faithfully moisturizing my hair/twist daily with shea butter and EVCO, so yesterday, i decided to DC
i first applied warm EVOO to my scalp and then Le Kair cholestrol for DC, covered with a plastic cap and wrapped with a towel for 2 hrs. Rinsed it out and brifely shampooed (i diluted my shampoo with water 1st) and then co-washed with VO5, i let it air dry and then took down some of the twist and re-twisted. I was sooooo happy with my hair, it was so soft and moisturized, i don't know about length yet,...lol....but i am glad it was soft and healthy.

tnx ladies for all your advise, i really needed it

noski

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down