CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ChrsLvsBks

+24
Natural-In_Me
NaptownCurls
Lynnieluve
Takeya
jamaicacurl
Mz. Thang
CSI
KinkyNappyHappy
Kea::curls
jcanalena79
savvybrown
SheeTacular
Juices-n-Berries
BlondeByDesire
ChrsLvsBks
Intelligentbeauty
MahoganyCurls
TMS
dajewel
Cherry: extraordinary!
CocaColaCutie
NhappyJackie
sweetdrk1
*CurlyNikki*
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ChrsLvsBks - Page 2 Empty Re: ChrsLvsBks

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd May 2010, 1:28 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:I am so so late Embarassed

Congratulations...I was looking for the first part of you BnB thread for info on henna and here you are!!!

This is awesome, and well deserved.

I have several henna questions...

What do you mix your henna with? For the first three or so, just water. I have also mixed it with amla. My last application included EVOO, anoop (Indian oil), EVCO and water.
How long should I let it sit before I apply? At least 12 hours if you would like color and immediately if you do not.
I plan to mix 3 part henna and 1 part hibiscus power; how much is that really if I need to measure in terms of cups? I don't know exactly. I use two 100 g boxes of henna. Based on your ratio and hair, I would say 150 g of henna and 50g of hibiscus powder.
How long should I leave the mixture on my hair after I apply it? If you are looking for color, at least four hours and if you just want the conditioning benefits, an hour.
Do I need to do a deep conditioner afterwards? I say yes. Better safe than sorry.
Do you have any additional tips? I suggest mixing with water initially to see how it works. I also suggest doing a skin and strand test. This way you can avoid any mishaps prior to applying it to your hair and skin.

Well that's all for now. Thanks in advance for your response!!!

Also, congratulations again...I'm so glad you are here!!!woot!

KNH
NP KNH, thanks!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

ChrsLvsBks - Page 2 Empty Strong Tea Mix

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd May 2010, 1:31 pm

CocaColaCutie wrote:Hey Chrs. Can you post your strong tea mix here? I know you use fenugreek but what EO's do you add?
I have used a number of teas. They include burdock root, peppermint, fenugreek and green. I use a ratio of two parts tea and one part water.

As for essential oils, I have added peppermint, lavender, rosemwary and tea tree.

I like to spritz my hair before applying moisturizers and sealers on days two through seven.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

ChrsLvsBks - Page 2 Empty Green Tea as Strong Tea

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd May 2010, 1:45 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Hello Chrs,
What are your thoughts on green tea as a strong tea for the hair? Have you used it?
Very Happy
Green tea has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps with shine and strength as well as regenerating new cells.

Green tea is the first tea I used as a spritz.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd May 2010, 1:50 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hey Chrs,

I am about to twist my hair using the KBN butters. I think you asked me what scents somewhere and I can't find it, but I purchased the Mango and the Citrus. I also got the lavender & eucalyptus gel. I think it was you that said you use them both on your twist. Can you give me the details please? Do you put the butter and then the gel? I am afraid of the gel because Sasha Shrinks so much. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance!!
Sweet, mango is my fave fruit. I hope Pam continues to offer mango through the summer. I am gonna do my darndest not to purchase anything else.

I apply a small amount less than a fingertips size to a section of hair for a medium twist. I use the same amount of gel for each medium size twist. Gel does not affect shrinkage, water and water based products do. See if you have any leave ins or moisturizers where aloe or shea is the first ingredient. They may help with shrinkage.

Another way you could avoid a lot of shrinkage is to wring hair out as much as possible before applying leave in or moisturizer. Allow hair to dry for a few hours until damp then twist with sealer and gel. It is worth a try.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 4th May 2010, 1:44 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
What are your thoughts on green tea as a strong tea for the hair? Have you used it?
Very Happy
Green tea has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps with shine and strength as well as regenerating new cells.

CAFFINATED OR DECAF?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 4th May 2010, 2:58 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:

I am about to twist my hair using the KBN butters. I think you asked me what scents somewhere and I can't find it, but I purchased the Mango and the Citrus. I also got the lavender & eucalyptus gel. I think it was you that said you use them both on your twist. Can you give me the details please? Do you put the butter and then the gel? I am afraid of the gel because Sasha Shrinks so much. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance!!
Sweet, mango is my fave fruit. I hope Pam continues to offer mango through the summer. I am gonna do my darndest not to purchase anything else.

I apply a small amount less than a fingertips size to a section of hair for a medium twist. I use the same amount of gel for each medium size twist. Gel does not affect shrinkage, water and water based products do. See if you have any leave ins or moisturizers where aloe or shea is the first ingredient. They may help with shrinkage.

Another way you could avoid a lot of shrinkage is to wring hair out as much as possible before applying leave in or moisturizer. Allow hair to dry for a few hours until damp then twist with sealer and gel. It is worth a try.
That is what I needed to know about the gel. I was afraid because it was wet it would cause shrinkage.. Look out now! Sasha has a twist regime [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thank you sooo much Chrs!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 4th May 2010, 4:27 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:

Hi Chrs...

Now this twisting on damp hair. How can I make that happen when my hair dries so fast. I want to successfully twist so bad I can't stand it. So this is what I understand from your posting...

Do my regiment...add my leave-in; let hair get dry until it's damp..then begin to twist. The problem I've had in the past is my hair dries before I'm finished, and I end up spritzing with water on the dry sections. What do you suggest I spritz with?

Any help would be soo appreciated!!!

Thanks!! KNY
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 4th May 2010, 4:29 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
KinkyNappyHappy wrote:I am so so late [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Congratulations...I was looking for the first part of you BnB thread for info on henna and here you are!!!

What do you mix your henna with? For the first three or so, just water. I have also mixed it with amla. My last application included EVOO, anoop (Indian oil), EVCO and water.
How long should I let it sit before I apply? At least 12 hours if you would like color and immediately if you do not.
I plan to mix 3 part henna and 1 part hibiscus power; how much is that really if I need to measure in terms of cups? I don't know exactly. I use two 100 g boxes of henna. Based on your ratio and hair, I would say 150 g of henna and 50g of hibiscus powder.
How long should I leave the mixture on my hair after I apply it? If you are looking for color, at least four hours and if you just want the conditioning benefits, an hour.
Do I need to do a deep conditioner afterwards? I say yes. Better safe than sorry.
Do you have any additional tips? I suggest mixing with water initially to see how it works. I also suggest doing a skin and strand test. This way you can avoid any mishaps prior to applying it to your hair and skin.

Also, congratulations again...I'm so glad you are here!!![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

KNH
NP KNH, thanks!

Thanks...this is exactly what I did...came out nice. I've done a little research on henna, but the one thing that I should see I don't. I don't see any sheen or shine to my hair. Do you know why that would be?

Just curious!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 4th May 2010, 11:41 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! CHRSLVSBKS!

- savvy
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 12:39 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:
Very Happy

CAFFINATED OR DECAF?
It is caffeinated. Caffeinated helps with stimulation.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 12:41 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

Hi Chrs...

Now this twisting on damp hair. How can I make that happen when my hair dries so fast. I want to successfully twist so bad I can't stand it. So this is what I understand from your posting...

Do my regiment...add my leave-in; let hair get dry until it's damp..then begin to twist. The problem I've had in the past is my hair dries before I'm finished, and I end up spritzing with water on the dry sections. What do you suggest I spritz with?

Any help would be soo appreciated!!!

Thanks!! KNY
You are correct. Spritz hair until damp in small sections (the section you will twist). I spritz with water. You can also try a mix of glycerin and aloe (may help with shrinkage if that is a concern).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 12:44 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:
KinkyNappyHappy wrote:I am so so late [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also, congratulations again...I'm so glad you are here!!![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

KNH
NP KNH, thanks!

Thanks...this is exactly what I did...came out nice. I've done a little research on henna, but the one thing that I should see I don't. I don't see any sheen or shine to my hair. Do you know why that would be?

Just curious!!!
Sheen and shine is based on the ability of light to bounce off one's hair. It is not uncommon to not exhibit either. Many factors play a role--water intake, vitamin deficiences, dry hair, over processed hair, hair's texture, etc. Like IB wrote before, the benefits of henna may not be seen and/or felt until you do it a few times.

When was the last time you clarified? What did you use?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 12:44 am

savvybrown wrote:CONGRATULATIONS! CHRSLVSBKS!

- savvy
Savvy, thank you beautiful!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 5th May 2010, 1:39 am

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS
AND CONGRATS ON WINNING THE BNB CHALLENGE [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 10:06 am

@IB, thank you! Enjoy your goodies from B-N-B also.

You are welcome!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 5th May 2010, 11:09 am

Chrs,

congrats of course! but I came to thank you AGAIN!! The gel helped!! Wooo Hooo!! You are the bomb!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th May 2010, 2:03 pm

A few questions:

1) I see you make your spritz with strong tea, aloe vera, etc. What is the benefit of using the tea instead of water. And could it be drying as a daily refresher? How do you think it would work for me?

2) If I understand the steps of moisturizing correctly, it should be water based leave in, oil, then creamy. So, with that being said, would one apply leave in, Qhemet OHHB, then AOHC or BDBC? Or would you apply the AOHC/BDBC and then the OHHB? If you aren't familiar with the ingredients in these I'll post them.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th May 2010, 12:37 pm

A few questions:

1) I see you make your spritz with strong tea, aloe vera, etc. What is the benefit of using the tea instead of water. And could it be drying as a daily refresher? How do you think it would work for me? I figure I can get the benefits associated with the herb instead of using plain tap water. I have not experienced any drying with the strong tea. Aloe vera is considered a moisturizer or humectant, depending on the source. Adding it or another moisturizer to a tea mix could help boost the moisture content. I use the strong tea mix before adding a moisturizer. If you would like to use a tea mix as a refresher, I suggest adding a leave in, conditioner or other moisturizer to it.

2) If I understand the steps of moisturizing correctly, it should be water based leave in, oil, then creamy. So, with that being said, would one apply leave in, Qhemet OHHB (Pure Olive Oil, expressed from the fruit seeds of the noble and majestic Olive tree, delivers softness and emollience. Pure Grapeseed Oil delivers shine, softness and lubricity. MSM nourishes scalp and encourages healthy growth while pure wildflower honey and vegetable glycerin contribute lasting moisture and softness.), then AOHC (Our ultra thick cream contains Amla, Brahmi and African Aloe, premium Afro-Indian botanicals used for thousands of years to nourish the scalp and strengthen and condition hair. MSM sulfur nurtures follicles and encourages healthy hair growth, Mediterranean Olive Oil delivers emollience and lubricity while Vegetable Glycerin and pure African Castor Oil lends sheen, softness and intense moisture.) or BDBC (Contains Pure Mediterranean Olive Oil for softness and emollience, extracts of Burdock Root, Nettle Leaf, Oatstraw and Wheat for their conditioning, scalp nourishing, shine enhancing and hair growth properties. Vegetable glycerin for its humectancy and MSM sulfur for nourishment and healthy hair growth.)? Or would you apply the AOHC/BDBC and then the OHHB? If you aren't familiar with the ingredients in these I'll post them.

Yes, you are correct. I learned about this from Chicoro. Here is what she suggests.
“The cuticles on hair strands operate like a vent. The cuticles raise and lift and they lower and close. Some soaps tend to raise the cuticle and some conditioners tend to lower the cuticles. When you finish washing and conditioning your hair, you really want to have your cuticles lowered and closed tightly.

1. Water Based: Water based concoctions are the first to reach the permeable hair strand. They are good to soften the cuticle. They absorb and evaporate the fastest so these go on the hair first. I usually make a panthenol, glycerine, water based type of mixture and sometimes may add aloe. I might add a drop of two of vitamin e and 3-5 drops of rosemary oil to preserve it.

2. Oil and Aloe/Water Based: Oils in general are slower to absorb and they can provide nutrition to the hair along with the aloe vera. These will absorb and evaporate slower than just plain water based concoctions.

3. Heavy Cream/Emulsified Based: These tend to sit on the hair strand and hold in the moisture on the hair strand and are used to seal in the oil based (#2) and the water based (#1) concoctions.”

Another great resource with scientific support is http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/. I love the science behind haircare, and she provides great information IMO.

I was able to see the major ingredients for Qhemets but unable to determine best process with that information alone. If you provide the first five from each, I can provide suggestions.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 10th May 2010, 10:44 pm

There you are. I thought you'd gone MIA on me. Lol. Thanks so much for all your help. I am going to use the tea as a refresher. I was looking to use something other than water, so this is perfect. I plan to add aloe vera gel, veggie glycerin, and jojoba oil. I'll let you know my results.

I'll be back with the Qhemet ingredients too.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 10th May 2010, 10:44 pm

Thanks again!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 12th May 2010, 5:57 pm

Have you done more than one treatment at a time?

For example I'm thinking of doing a henna gloss. Then cowash or shampoo as normal (depends on how easy the henna comes out) Rinse apply Bentonite. Rinse and style as usual.

What are your thoughts on this?
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th May 2010, 7:13 pm

Hey Shee, I have not done more than one treatment at a time. I would suggest doing a bentonite treatment before the henna gloss. The bentonite will clarify the hair and ensure all residual products and oils are removed. I would then do the henna gloss. Since bentonite clarifies, I do not think it would be a good idea to use it after the henna gloss.

HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by CSI 26th May 2010, 6:49 pm

Hi Chrs, I love your hair. It's AMAZING! How long have you been using Henna and how often do you apply it? Do you feel it's loosened your curl? IF so, how so? Do you mind it? Thanks for any information you can give me. I'm waiting for my order to come in. Thanks.

CSI

Back to top Go down

ChrsLvsBks - Page 2 Empty Henna

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th May 2010, 12:26 pm

CurlyGigi wrote:Hi Chrs, I love your hair. It's AMAZING! How long have you been using Henna and how often do you apply it? Do you feel it's loosened your curl? IF so, how so? Do you mind it? Thanks for any information you can give me. I'm waiting for my order to come in. Thanks.
Hi CurlyGigi, thanks for the compliment! I have used henna off and on since September 2009. I was doing it about every month then slacked off in November or December. I did not see any loosening until I used BAQ Jamila henna last week. I did not mind it. After I applied products, there was no noticeable difference. The difference was evident when I first rinsed it out and before I DC'd and applied moisturizer and sealant.

I highly recommend going to hennaforhair.com. They have a forum there. I read and read and read some more before finally ordering and applying henna. I do suggest doing skin patch and hair strand tests. Some have allergic reactions to henna.

To prep hair, you may want to pre-poo with oils and clarify. Clarifying will rid your hair of any build up.

For the first time, I suggest using either water or strong green tea (2:1 tea:water ratio). Mix until a pudding like consistency. Apply it thick and from scalp to ends. Fill sink with water to loosen and get rid of us much of the henna as possible. Stand under showerhead for a few minutes to rid hair of henna then co-wash. DC after the treatment.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by CSI 29th May 2010, 4:32 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for responding. I did the Henna and I don't see much of a difference in color or conditioning but I'm going to do it again this weekend since I realize that several applications give better results. My hair is very dark so I don't expect any color change. However, I am interested in the deep conditioning factors. I've read a lot on hennaforhair.com already but when I went back to find out how long to keep it in I just couldn't find it anymore. Since I'm not interested in color, how long do you think I should leave it in? I have a batch thawing out from the freezer Smile lol I had a very successful, first try at it. The only thing is that whenever I wet my hair now (which I do on a daily basis) I get orange-y water dripping all over everything. Is that normal or does it mean I should've rinsed my hair longer? Thanks for your time and experience. It's MUCH appreciated Smile

CSI

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next