CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highly Depressed about my Skin

+3
envizionj
HAMPTONSFNST
Beautifulyfe
7 posters

Go down

Highly Depressed about my Skin Empty Highly Depressed about my Skin

Post by Beautifulyfe 2nd March 2010, 1:26 am

OK so I have always battled with bad skin. I can only remember one summer maybe 5 years ago when my skin was so clear and I loved it. What was I using Bath and Body Works either aloe or seaweed face wash everyday and exfoliated twice a week. I remember the packaging changed and the product was never the same after. My skin would get really dry and I just tried whatever I could get my hands on.

Recently I found that store bought face washes were not helping but causing pimples, painful at that. I found out on a skin care forum that the products in store bought face washes causes over production of oils in the skin thus the pimples.

Thats when I began the Oil Cleansing Method. I love it. Now I exfoliate with baking soda twice a week. I have NO pimples and a huge crater I had on my cheek is quickly returning back to how my skin should look. Blackheads are at their minimum BUT I still have scarring/blemishes.

I almost cried looking at a pic I took over the weekend in the club where everyone had this flawless skin and mines (to me) looks hideous. I know I can be my worst critic but this I have to change.

Suggestions on what to use anyone? My sis is suggesting toner but I'm looking for a natural route. Most toners have chems and I want to stay away. HELP PLEASE
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Highly Depressed about my Skin Empty Re: Highly Depressed about my Skin

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd March 2010, 1:45 pm

Hi Beautifulyfe,

I'm starting to breakout again and have scheduled a follow-up appointment with my derm, Kim Nichols in Manhattan. My skin was doing so well but I will admit that I started slacking with my nightly regimen. I wash with a soap-free, noncomedegenic cleanser, followed by my prescribed retinoid. I think the oils I've been using on my hair have been breaking me out because my skin was it's clearest after my initial visit with Dr. Nichols. My breakouts were bad before I saw her. It was really stressed at that time and my hormones were way off balanced but she knew exactly how to remedy the problem.

If you're considering a toner, what about plain ol' witch hazel? I used to use Prescriptive's mattifying lotion(liquid form) and that helped my oiliness. Are you experiencing breakouts? Do you wear your hair on your face alot?
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 4th March 2010, 7:01 pm

HamptonsFnst, it's a small world. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I believe Kim Nichols is still on maternity leave. Dr. Fran E. Cook-Bolden is my dermatologist. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Also, remember to always ask for samples because they have them. I've been going to Dr. Cook-Bolden since November 2007.

Cetaphil for normal to oily skin is the best product for removing dirt, oil and makeup. I have very oily skin and no dermatologist on the planet can do a thing with it. I am oily all year round and oily skin used to break down my makeup. Dr. Cook-Bolden suggested Prescriptives brand oil control makeup, which worked fine, but they went out of business in January. Now I use Estee Lauder's Double Wear (Spice) and only have to apply the liquid. I'm still a little oily, but don't have to worry about my makeup disappearing on my face due to my oils destroying it.

Here is a website that may help you cut down the cost of those prescriptions http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/ and also ask Dr. Nichols/Dr. Cook-Bolden's assistants for rebates and samples. They have them but sometimes forget to give them out. I'm not shy about the samples since I have to go to the office at least every 2-3 months.

My company changed my insurance plan in January and now my co-pays are $40 per visit instead of $20. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by envizionj on 5th March 2010, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 5th March 2010, 3:18 pm

Girl, you're lucky! My copay is $50/visit but it's not too bad bc I'm greatful that the company I work for pays for my medical benefits. The receptionist did tell me Dr. Nichols was on maternity leave. Good for her. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I look forward to meeting Dr. Bolden in two weeks and I'll definitely ask for those samples. Is the Estee Lauder makeup oil free and noncomedegenic? I'm looking for something to even out my complexion. I may opt for Iman's line. What do you use for a moisturizer? I used some samples Dr. Nichols gave me from both Neutrogena and Cetaphil. Now I use Neutrogena's Healthy Skin w/spf15.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 5th March 2010, 3:53 pm

Dr. Cook-Bolden ("Dr. C-B") is the director The Skin Speciality group. I saw Dr. Nichols before, but I didn't bond with her so I asked to switch back to Dr. C-B.

I have heard some people complaining about their co-pays because it can become very expensive.

Estee Lauder is oil free and noncomedegenic. I purchase it from Bloomingdale's at 59th street. I can only use oil-free or oil-control makeup since my skin is acne prone. Dr. C-B has me on a strict regimen now to even out my pigmentation. I tried the at home acid peel, but was told by one of the receptionists, that I would have to wait a good 6 months or more to see results. Well, I declined to continue. I tried in office peel, but was turned off by the final application of this smelly, greasy substance I had on my face, to go home on the train. If I bought the package, it would be well over $1,000. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't believe Iman's line is oil free. I know when I used it, the oils from my skin made it fade away. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Neutrogena sunscreen is my moisturizer, and I am still using the samples they gave me since you only need a pea sized amount. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love the Cetaphil Normal to Oily skin. You rub some in your hands and apply it to your face dry, and you will feel and see it dissolving your makeup. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th March 2010, 3:28 pm

Well, I couldn't find Iman at any of the stores out here so I forgot about it. I went to Target and found Loreal's True Match liquid foundation on clearance. I wasn't sure which shade blended the closest with my complexion so I bought both Nut Brown and Capuccino.

What cleansers did Dr. C-B recommend for you? The cleanser I'm using now is not effective. Maybe I need to add a BHA cleanser.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 8th March 2010, 4:51 pm

I tried that Loreal True Match, but it made my cheeks break out. I had to contact the company and they told me to stop using it. I ended up with dark pigment on both my cheeks, and that is when I started to see Dr. C-B for help.

Dr. C-B recommended Ovace Wash and the pharmacy gave me the generic version RE-10 for $10.00 per bottle. I use the Cetaphil for normal to oily skin to remove my makeup and then use the Ovace wash to fight the acne.

Morning Regime:
1) Ovace wash/RE-10
2) Renew skin toner mini peel pads to exfoliate skin
3) Neobenz
4) Neutrogena Sun Screen (SPF 70)
5) Estee Lauder Double Wear makeup (Spice)

Evening Regime:
1) Cetaphil for normal to oily skin to remove oil, dirt and makeup
2) Ovace wash/RE-10
3) Tazorac
4) Triluma applied to dark spots
5) Glytone lotion

envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarise 9th March 2010, 5:41 am

I had the same issue as you after doing the OCM method. I no longer get new breakouts except for the few hormonal ones and exfoliate weekly. My only issue was my skin healing from the acne scars and blemishes I had left.

What I discovered is that most facials peels and topical BHA's and AHA's didn't do much to speed the process of them diminishing. They eventually did after a few months but then new scars would form.

So my advice based on my experience is a little nifty product called Lemon Peel Bioferment. It has really worked to reduce my acne scars and I've read about other people's hyperpigmentation. I get mine from ncnproskincare.com. Skinactives sells their version of it as well. Though the one I mention is the better deal and people seem to prefer the quality of it. The cool thing is that it applies just like water with no smell and no stinging. You would almost think that you are just putting water on your face but you see the results as time goes on. I expect in 2 more weeks, my scars will be gone compared to my 3-5 months wait.

I encourage you to try it out if you find that nothing else seems to work for you.

Hope you find the success you want.
Amarise
Amarise

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 9th March 2010, 12:51 pm

Thanks Amarise for the tip. I have a derm appointment next weekend and will bring that too my derm's attention. I do know that chemical peels are the best procedures to help reduce acne scarring and assist smoothness.

@envisionj: I use the Taz and Glytone also at night. Have you noticed any dryness because of these applications? Not long ago I noticed dry skin along my forehead where I breakout regularly and around my nose. These past two weeks haven't been good and I haven't been good either. I'm so lazy at night. I didn't wash my face b4 bed and woke up with a whitehead on my forehead this morning. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I didn't like washing with the Cetaphil. It reminds me of glue...no soapy consistency as I expected.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 9th March 2010, 2:27 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@envisionj: I use the Taz and Glytone also at night. Have you noticed any dryness because of these applications? Not long ago I noticed dry skin along my forehead where I breakout regularly and around my nose. These past two weeks haven't been good and I haven't been good either. I'm so lazy at night. I didn't wash my face b4 bed and woke up with a whitehead on my forehead this morning. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I didn't like washing with the Cetaphil. It reminds me of glue...no soapy consistency as I expected.

Regarding: Taz and Glytone

I have not noticed any dryness at all.

Regarding: Dry skin along forehead and nose

You may be applying too much tazorac. Remember you should only use a pea sized amount. Too much will cause dryness and irritation and heavy peeling.

Regarding: Washing Face

Try washing your face as soon as you get home. I normally take my shower as soon as I get home in the evening and soon as I wake up in the morning. Leaving on makeup, mixed with environmental debris will make your skin worse.

Regarding: Cetaphil

The Cetaphil for "All skin types" does not lather, but the one for "Normal to oily skin" removes dirt, oil and makeup from your pores and gives a nice lather. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by mochamoments 10th March 2010, 6:23 pm

@Beautifulyfe-my daughter has blemish prone skin and black soap has worked wonders for her. She washes with the soap and then applies a little bit of shea butter for moisturizer.

Another thing you may want to consider is your diet. I am vegan and I have a cousin who is vegan off and on. I can tell by her skin when she is not eating vegan. Milk products can be very irritating to the skin.
mochamoments
mochamoments

http://www.mochamomentsmom.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 11th March 2010, 11:52 am

I enjoy my dairy: yogurt, lactose-free milk, cheeses and ice cream. I've read about the correlation between acne and dairy. Will be asking my derm about that at my next appointment.

@envizionj: I have been applying more than a pea sized amount of the gel. Will definitely monitor tonight's application. How did you skin do with benzoyl peroxide? I'm not sure my skin likes or maybe I get better results with a combo of salycilic acid.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by hippychic 11th March 2010, 1:46 pm

i am having great success with clinique's 3 step acne solution. my face hasn't been this clear in years. Smile now, i've got to get the dark marks faded...

hippychic

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 11th March 2010, 2:43 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@envizionj: I have been applying more than a pea sized amount of the gel. Will definitely monitor tonight's application. How did you skin do with benzoyl peroxide? I'm not sure my skin likes or maybe I get better results with a combo of salycilic acid.
Definitely only use a pea sized amount. The benzoyl peroxide is surprisingly agreeing with my face. When she first subscribed it to me, I thought it would make my face worse, but it actually controlled the acne.

My advice to you is when you go to see Dr. C-B, do like I did. I told her I needed my regime simplified and effective. I told her I have been to several dermatologists throughout the years that gave me the runaround and wasted my time and money. She said that she was sorry to hear that and will make sure that doesn't happen to me. She even comes out to greet me when it's my turn and then the assistants take over. Dr. C-B understands my goal for success.

The advantage of the salycilic acid is the peeling off of the layers of the skin for more vibrant skin. However, avoid the sun or wear sunblock as much as possible since your skin becomes more sensitive.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Highly Depressed about my Skin Empty Go See a Professional

Post by Syrah 17th April 2010, 7:10 pm

I haven't read through the posts so if you're questions have been answered - kudos!

I'm going to go a different route and say go see a dermatologist...that you trust.

I had a similar problem where my skin would flare up - nothing horrible, but enough to make me unhappy. I followed the boards and tried the homemade remedies as well as a myriad of skin care lines from Whole Foods (My'Chelle, JASON, Juice Beauty and Dessert Essence). My skin would clear up after about a month and then 6-8 weeks later, go right back to its old habits. Extra Virgin Olive Oil made my face greasy and shiny. Black Soap gave me dark spots where I already had hyper pigmentation due to acne scars. ProActiv made me skin dry (I did learn that my skin HATS Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid). Baking Soda gave me a healthy glow but didn't do anything for the current acne I was experiencing (in other words - it made the nice looking skin nicer looking, but did nothing for my problem areas).

And while the ladies give great advice, the trouble with skin is that the causes of acne come from a variety of sources...ranging from the air and water quality where you live, your diet, your skin type and your lifestyle (how much you sleep, how often you travel etc).

I spent a LOT of money trying everything under the sun, until one day I bit the bullet and went and saw an internist and it was the best money I've ever spent.

And I'm not a fan of complicated regiments. "I do this in the morning, this in the evening and on the third wednesday of every new moon...". Thats just not ME. I needed something simple, that if I was on the road - would not be difficult to replication.

I wash with Aubrey Organics Lavender Cleansing Gel.
I wear Aubrey Organics Lavender Moisturizer (with SPF).
When I feel like brightening/refining, I use a honey and brown sugar mask (massage for 5 minutes, leave on for 10).
And when I flare up, I use a Clyndamycin Phosphate lotion (1%).

Last edited by Syrah on 21st April 2010, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Syrah
Syrah

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 19th April 2010, 12:29 am

Thanks for the advice I may just have to go that route
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content