CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea butter- a great skin product!!

+13
neethair
R2D2
KeetaRay
transitioning?
Chinita07
TaSiaJaY
Juices-n-Berries
RissaRae
tsa919
MrsPeaceLily
Intelligentbeauty
tiashaunteé
Babs2009
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shea butter- a great skin product!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Shea butter- a great skin product!!

Post by R2D2 14th February 2010, 7:45 pm

Thanks Smile

I've now incorporated it into my routine. I had a bottle of castor oil that I had purchased a few months ago from the Indian shop but never got around to using in my hair. I always have olive oils in my cupboards. I started off with a 25% castor to 75% olive mix and that seems to be working well.

I have noticed that some bumps have come through that would usually develop into full pimples under my old system but with this method they seem to be drying out and healing up within a much shorter space of time, which is interesting.

My children also have some skin issues - my daughter with exzcma in the folds of her arms and my son with dry facial skin that sometimes cracks in winter and bleeds. I used other creams on them before with limited effect but they are now the newest recipients of my shea pomode!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Shea butter- a great skin product!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Shea butter- a great skin product!!

Post by Amaspiritartist 21st February 2010, 2:09 am

I recommend using Sheasilk by Crystal's Royal Secrets for a lighter whipped Shea butter creme to put on you face or skin...it's excellent !

www.crsecrets.com
Amaspiritartist
Amaspiritartist

http://www.amajewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Shea butter- a great skin product!! - Page 2 Empty My New Shea Butter Experiment

Post by jazzymlh 21st February 2010, 2:39 pm

I recently bought my first jar of raw/ unrefined shea butter and I've been using it 1-2 times per day along with Aveeno naturals soap bar on my face. I'm hoping that this routine along with (my increased water intake, which is a struggle btw) will help to clear my skin as well as even my skin tone. So excited! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also have bio-oil that I am using in addition to shea butter to help to minimize my stretch marks on my stomach.

Has anyone else had success with bio-oil and/or shea butter for stretch marks?
jazzymlh
jazzymlh

http://www.CurlyChicksOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 21st February 2010, 4:58 pm

ugh i personally HATED Bio-Oil!!! I know that tons swear by it & proclaim it's miraculous properties, but as someone w/ lots of scars...it never did anything for them!!! And i hated the way it felt on my skin...i dont have the exact list of ingredients in front of me, but if i remember correctly it is mainly mineral oil & other cheap, poor quality ingredients & fragrances which are NOT good for the skin at all! It may work for some but even tho i gave it several tries it broke me out...i think using all natural unrefined products will work MUCH better and be better not only for your skin but for your body as well, since everything we apply topically is ingested directly into our bloodstream and therefore affects us internally as well...

just my humble opinion/thoughts
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzymlh 21st February 2010, 5:31 pm

Chinita07 wrote:ugh i personally HATED Bio-Oil!!! I know that tons swear by it & proclaim it's miraculous properties, but as someone w/ lots of scars...it never did anything for them!!! And i hated the way it felt on my skin...i dont have the exact list of ingredients in front of me, but if i remember correctly it is mainly mineral oil & other cheap, poor quality ingredients & fragrances which are NOT good for the skin at all! It may work for some but even tho i gave it several tries it broke me out...i think using all natural unrefined products will work MUCH better and be better not only for your skin but for your body as well, since everything we apply topically is ingested directly into our bloodstream and therefore affects us internally as well...

Girl, I had to find the box to look at the ingredients, because the bottle "conveniently" lacks the ingredients (at least the smaller bottle). Sure enough, paraffinum liquidum (mineral oil) is the FIRST ingredient listed. I've recently started making a habit of searching the right ingredients in products I use. Thanks for the eye-opener!
jazzymlh
jazzymlh

http://www.CurlyChicksOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaspiritartist 21st February 2010, 8:21 pm

I used to have a lot of scars from acne on my face. I got rid of them using Sade' African skincare's Brown Oil which is all natural and is only made from Palm Kernel Oil and Sweet Almond Oil...no chemicals...
Amaspiritartist
Amaspiritartist

http://www.amajewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 26th February 2010, 4:28 pm

jazzymlh wrote:
Chinita07 wrote:ugh i personally HATED Bio-Oil!!! I know that tons swear by it & proclaim it's miraculous properties, but as someone w/ lots of scars...it never did anything for them!!! And i hated the way it felt on my skin...i dont have the exact list of ingredients in front of me, but if i remember correctly it is mainly mineral oil & other cheap, poor quality ingredients & fragrances which are NOT good for the skin at all! It may work for some but even tho i gave it several tries it broke me out...i think using all natural unrefined products will work MUCH better and be better not only for your skin but for your body as well, since everything we apply topically is ingested directly into our bloodstream and therefore affects us internally as well...

Girl, I had to find the box to look at the ingredients, because the bottle "conveniently" lacks the ingredients (at least the smaller bottle). Sure enough, paraffinum liquidum (mineral oil) is the FIRST ingredient listed. I've recently started making a habit of searching the right ingredients in products I use. Thanks for the eye-opener!

No problem!!! So glad I can help...like you, I have recently started to get MUCH more picky about what I put on my skin...despite the amount of miraculous-looking commercials, ads, reviews a product may have, I have decided to do my OWN research into the products & determine for myself whether or not I think it is worth putting on my skin!!! I am by no means saying this product wont work for SOME, but personally...I think an all natural oil such as Vitamin E or shea butter or something all natural is going to work MUCH better than the CHEAP crude mineral oil that seems to be in EVERY skin & haircare product out there!

I looked at my bottle also, and it is QUITE interesting how the ingredients aren't listed...the other day I was going thru my hair cabinet & pulled out an old Dr. Miracle's hair moisturizer I hadn't finished and decided to use up...then i noticed that the ingredients are NOT listed on the jar!!! It only mentions his "Miraculous Feel-It Formula!" Shocked Rolling Eyes i didnt keep the box, so I guess I will have to visit his website to discover what is really in this mess...as I become more conscientious, things like NOT listing ingredients on the container are a RED FLAG for me!!!
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by mochamoments 10th March 2010, 6:33 pm

I cleanse my face with black soap and moisturize with Shea butter. In doing some research I found information that suggest that the yellow butter is not shea butter, but african butter which comes from a different tree. At any rate I can tell a difference, but like them both.

I live in the Austin area and there is a lady here that sells a whipped shea butter mix. She calls it Obama butta it contains:

Unrefined Shea Butter, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils

You could probably very easily make this mixture yourself since the ingredients are readily available.

Here is the link to her Obama butta page:http://youbuttabelieveit.com/obamabuttainfo.htm
mochamoments
mochamoments

http://www.mochamomentsmom.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th March 2010, 6:41 pm

I have always heard the opposite:

Shea butter is a slightly yellowish or ivory colored natural fat extracted from the seed of the African shea tree by crushing and boiling.

How can I tell if something is good Shea Butter?
Pure Shea Butter can be found in three types of extractions. Also, recently, Shea Butter has begun to be graded.
Raw or unrefined- extracted using water. The color ranges from like cream (similar to whipped butter) to grayish yellow. This is the original form of Shea Butter.
Refined- is more highly processed. Has many of its natural components still intact.
Highly refined or processed- solvents are used to increase the yield (hexane is an example). The color is pure white.

I guess the only way to be 100% sure to exact the butter from the tree yourself, lol
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mochamoments 10th March 2010, 6:48 pm

yeah, I'm not talking about the slightly yellow colored one. There are some being marketed that are a deep goldenrod yellow. I saw a Youtube video from Duchess Gabrielle and that's when I noticed that the difference.
mochamoments
mochamoments

http://www.mochamomentsmom.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th March 2010, 7:16 pm

mochamoments wrote:yeah, I'm not talking about the slightly yellow colored one. There are some being marketed that are a deep goldenrod yellow. I saw a Youtube video from Duchess Gabrielle and that's when I noticed that the difference.

Gotcha. I only get mine from the African store. I haven't seen it that yellow before.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 13th March 2010, 3:28 pm

Hey ladies, I read this thread and i have a couple ques: What do you ladies do for an spf protection? Bc i know that we still need sun ray protection all year round right?- do you ladies use this as your daily moisturizer before you put on you makeup? or you use the shea butter AND something else that has spf in it on top- then makeup? And are you ladies saying that the shea butter made your acne scars disappear or removed your pimples? or both? Or did it just make your over all skin just glow and look smoother?
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 15th March 2010, 12:37 pm

Blackdoll83 wrote:Hey ladies, I read this thread and i have a couple ques: What do you ladies do for an spf protection? Bc i know that we still need sun ray protection all year round right?- do you ladies use this as your daily moisturizer before you put on you makeup? or you use the shea butter AND something else that has spf in it on top- then makeup? And are you ladies saying that the shea butter made your acne scars disappear or removed your pimples? or both? Or did it just make your over all skin just glow and look smoother?

I wish I had the label with me but I believe it says that shea butter is a natural sunscreen. I only wore shea butter when I went to Jamaica last year and neither I nor the hubby got burned and I LOVE the sun. I was in it all day. I did get darker, lol.

Since using shea butter some scars I had from my teen years disappeared and my dark knees have gotten lighter. However, I don't know if it's the shea or time but this is the quickest I have seen a difference.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdoll83 16th March 2010, 2:10 am

thanks tiashauntee :-)
Blackdoll83
Blackdoll83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2