CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sister Available!

4 posters

Go down

Big Sister Available! Empty Big Sister Available!

Post by Courtie 15th December 2009, 1:30 pm

Hey, y'all! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'd be happy to help some people out -- I don't know as much as some of the ladies on here, but I can definitely offer advice and support.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

I'm a year and a half since my BC, before that I transitioned for 8 months.
I don't really mess with hair typing, but I am sort of a 3C/4A mix, s-waves and corkscrews. My hair is about 2 inches past CBL in the back and about CBL in the front since my trim.

Here is a pic of my hair. And here is my Butters and Bars blog thingy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Let me know if I can help!!!
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Big Sister Available! Empty Re: Big Sister Available!

Post by natural_nance 15th December 2009, 8:41 pm

Maybe you can help me, we have the same "hair type". My situation is that I'm having trouble w/ growth. My last full relaxer was 6/11 and then I had my edges relaxed 8/13. I REALLY want to BC once Winter is over but I'm afraid my hair isn't long enough. I'm bunning all winter with hopes that this will help me get a few inches. Any tips you can provide?
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 16th December 2009, 12:14 am

Sure!

The bunning will definitely help with your growth. Low manipulation has really, really worked for me.

Have you tried either castor oil or amla oil for growth? You can use them as a pre-poo, and personally, amla has worked wonders for me. My hair is growing so fast!

You'll be on track to BC by spring/summer if you keep it moisturized and happy.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 16th December 2009, 11:05 am

I'm currently using castor oil, but I haven't heard of amla oil. I'll definitely look into it though. What's pre-poo?
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 16th December 2009, 11:29 am

Pre-poo is what you put on your hair before you shampoo or cowash. I didn't do it for a long time, but I tried it and it is a godsend. I swear, it makes my hair that much easier to detangle. You should give it a try since you're working with two textures, I bet it will make it easier to do.

You just take enough oil to really coat all your hair (I like to massage my scalp to get the blood a-flowing, too), let it sit for however long (I do half an hour to an hour, just depending on what I'm doing), then wash as usual. You can do it with castor oil, olive oil, etc.

I also wanted to tell you -- my hair went through a sort of "shock" period when I stopped relaxing, so don't be discouraged. My last relaxer was in October, and I remember all through that December/January, my new growth was so sad. I felt like it grew less when I stopped than it did before. I don't know why, but then after a couple of months (when it realized I was serious, lol) it started growing like crazy. You're on the right track, maybe your hair is just trying to figure itself out right now.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.G 16th December 2009, 1:12 pm

Hi Courtie,

I transitioned from November 08 until November 09 and then cut off my relaxed ends. I'm getting discouraged because I haven't been able to perfect any styles. I've just been wearing pony puffs and tnc's mostly or even braid outs. I want to find something to help me keep my ends protected mostly. Do you have any suggestions?
Ms.G
Ms.G

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 16th December 2009, 1:16 pm

Ms. G -- your hair looks lovely in your av.

I think a good style for the winter months (haven't tried it myself yet) would be the rod set that nmoultry does (here's the link
). From what I have seen this can last a week, and it really does keep the ends hidden and protected.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.G 16th December 2009, 1:34 pm

Ok I will have to try that out. It seems like it would for awhile in that style as well.

So let me tell you about my routine and if you have any suggestions let me know. I usually DT once a week (recently I've been Henna-ing so the last 3wks I've henna'd then DT with Hot six oil and Organix Cococut Conditioner). For styling during the week I co-wash with HE HH and I use DevaCare one as my leave-in. I've been using shea butter, coconut oil and tea tree oil to make sure my scalp and hair stays moisturized. Although I'm still finding that my scalp is soaking up the oil like it's going out of style... I don't know what to do about this...

I shampoo every 2-3 weeks with Kinky Curly Come Clean...

Some other questions I have are...

Is it really bad to use a brush in your hair?
How often should you style your hair or co-wash?
Ms.G
Ms.G

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 16th December 2009, 1:55 pm

Your routine sounds very very similar to mine, actually. I henna as well (you can't beat the benefits), and I also use the Organix coconut condish and HEHH.

For a dry scalp I'd suggest doing a prepoo with castor or olive oil before you shampoo with the KCCC. And really massage the oil in there.

The only brush I have ever used in my kinks has been a Denman. Well, a bootleg Denman I got from CVS for $4. If I tried to use a regular brush it would just pull all my hair out. Now I don't know how I lived without it, but before I had the brush I just detangled with my hands and that worked fine.

I do my best to only style my hair once or twice every seven days. When I first BCd I had no idea what to do with my hair, so I just did a wash n go everyday. After a while my hair growth stalled because I was messing with it everyday, and it started to break off. So now I do all my treatments in one day, then style, and try to leave it until the next weekend.

It depends on what your hair likes. You can also try doing a twist out and then after a couple of days you can try a bun or an updo.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.G 16th December 2009, 2:00 pm

You know I've heard people talking about the Denman brust but what is it? What does it look like? Is it called Denman Brush in the stores?

Wow I just read your thread about the hair growth shake. I will definitley try that out within the next two weeks or so.
Ms.G
Ms.G

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.G 16th December 2009, 2:07 pm

Oopss I just saw a thread on Denman brushes....and I already have one of those...just didn't know that is what it's called.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ms.G
Ms.G

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 16th December 2009, 2:13 pm

Please let me know how the hair growth shake works for you.

It seems to have given great results to everyone.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.G 16th December 2009, 2:15 pm

I will definitley!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ms.G
Ms.G

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 16th December 2009, 3:47 pm

I'm going to pre-poo this weekend, thanks for the tips! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm sure I'll have tons of other questions!
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay 18th December 2009, 1:34 am

Ms G your hair is cute !!
Tay
Tay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down