CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preezie (BNB challenge)

+3
Kea::curls
Lynnieluve
Preezie
7 posters

Go down

Preezie (BNB challenge) Empty Preezie (BNB challenge)

Post by Preezie 14th December 2009, 12:30 pm

So this is my first full week with my hair being completely out and natural. I love it! I didn't realized I would as much as I do. When I first started going natural it was not for any particular reason other than I wanted to stop chemically altering my hair and I was a little concerned about the chemical getting into my blood stream. I also have a wonderful stylist who does not promote relaxers so it made it very, very easy.

However, this morning was a hair nightmare. For starters, my hair is not the texture that I assumed it would be once I went natural. I was expecting it to be much coarser and it's not so it sort of bothers me because I'm not sure what to do with this texture hair. It is maybe a 4b (I think that's what it is) but I was expecting a much tighter curl pattern. This morning was an absolute mess for me. I had flat twists in until yesterday and took them out to wear the curly/wavy look to go to a dinner party, which was so cute. I hadn't wore that style since I was transitioning 2.5 years ago and thought that if I slept in a satin bonnet it would last at least 5 days (like it used to when I still had part relaxed hair). Well, I woke up and my hair was a tangled and the pattern was nothing like I expected. I did manage to untangle it an get it pulled back into a pony-puff. I don't mind wearing my hair like this because it is easy for me and because I'm not a morning person I don't want to put a lot of time into my hair in the morning. I still plan to go to the salon about twice a month, but for the weeks that it isn't salon perfect I need to know how to do something. I am trying to not get frustrated and breakdown, but it's so upsetting when all I want to do is look nice and I cannot. Tonight I plan to try the Curly Afro. I watched Heather Nicole's entire video yesterday and it seems a lot easier than double strand twist (which I tried once and it was horrible) or a twist and curl or any of the other styles that I have yet to perfect. I do not have her exact products so I'm hoping I can find something that will work on my hair. I will post pictures here soon. Unfortunately I lost the cable to charge my camera and need to get to Bestbuy ASAP for a new one so I can post pictures and give everyone a better idea of what I am dealing with. Thanks for everyone who has helped so far.

Last edited by Preezie on 15th December 2009, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Preezie (BNB challenge) Empty Re: Preezie (BNB challenge)

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 1:22 pm

Welcome Preezie!! If you stick around here, I promise you it will get better. When it comes to styling your hair, the key is practice. I hope the Curly 'Fro turns out good for you. Get that cable! I want to see pics. I bet it's not as bad as you say it is.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Preezie 15th December 2009, 12:34 pm

VERY GOOD HAIR DAY TODAY!! So yesterday I went home and was going to try the curly afro but then realized that the only thing I had to do this was the flex rods and after leaving the gym it would be too late to try to hunt everything down that is necessary. And I know that building up my products is going to take some time because they can be pretty expensive. So I combed it all out and put it in one large french braid just to work out at the gym. After leaving the gym I knew that I would want to rinse my hair, but not wash it since I don't do well washing my hair less than a week. Well I initially went to the store to pick up some conditioner and something to lay my edges down just to make my afro puff a little neater. Well I saw the krystal eco styler gel that many people rave about on here. I wasn't sure about it since my hair is very hard to lay down, but it was only 3 dollars so I picked it up. I didn't really find a conditioner that I was crazy about and decided just to use what I had at home, which is the John Freida frizz ease curl aound daily conditioner. I rinsed my hair, put about a quarter size amount throughout my hair and left it as a leave in, put a little of the eco styler and shea butter on my edges, brushed it back and immediately my puff was neater. I put my scarf on, let it air dry over night, and VOILA...A very, very, very good hair day! Like all of you said, it will take time and patience. I think experimenting with products first and styling later will be my tactic. It's very important to me that I learn what works on my hair. I think learning what makes my hair do what will be half the battle. Thanks and stay tuned. Dang, I need to go to best buy at lunch so I can share photos.

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th December 2009, 12:46 pm

I am glad you having a good hair day! I love Eco styler gel to slick back my edges. Which conditioner were you looking for? My personal favorite is Aussie Moist Conditioner. It's thick, creamy and smell so good.

Yes, make a stop at best buy! LOL!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Preezie 15th December 2009, 1:04 pm

Well I wasn't really looking for anything in particular--just sort of perusing. I did check out the Organix line because I hear so much about it on this site and I just found out about the Aussie Moist the other day.

People are complimenting me on the puff today. LOL Yesterday was a hot mess and not a good reflection of natural hair at all. Really it was pulled back, but not really. LOL I don't think anyone in my office expected my hair to look like this because (up until last week) they have only seen my hair in a weave.

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 15th December 2009, 7:20 pm

hi preezie!! and welcome to the BNB challenge Smile

if you are interested in trying Organix....(i'm sure lynnie already knows what i'm going to say. lol)...you may want to stop by your local Walgreens. I'm not sure if the sale is still going on, but last week it was because it was buy one (at 6.99) and get another free!!! i also enjoy Aussie...

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th December 2009, 11:32 pm

hi Preezie!! Welcome to the neighborhood!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 15th December 2009, 11:44 pm

I preezie, I cut my hair yesterday and I appear to be style challenged as well. Im glad you found a style that works for you. Hopefully we can learn together!!!
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 2:55 am

Sorry about the hair nightmare...when I BC'd I was surprised at my texture too! Embrace what you have and don't get frustrated when it doesn't turn out as planned! Trial and error for now...Can't wait to see your hair!

--ReesePreezie (BNB challenge) Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Preezie 16th December 2009, 11:43 am

Thanks Kea and Sweetdrk1!

@adiaha--Welcome to the natural world. It is definitely a beautiful thing.

@Freestyles--Thanks for the encouragement. I really think if I would have BC'd or maintained my own hair during the growing out process I would be 1000% better than what I am. But I am learning. Last night I took the time to just braid my hair in 4 braids before going to bed to avoid it from tangling and this morning it was pretty easy to put it in my now signature puff! LOL

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 16th December 2009, 12:13 pm

Welcome Preezie to CN and the sisterhood of gorgeous natural ladies who rock Preezie (BNB challenge) Icon_rr
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Preezie 17th December 2009, 1:36 pm

Thanks ChrsLvsBks!

So my hair is the same low puff again today. Actually all I did was put a scarf on last night because I didn't want to wet it again. This weekend I'm going to try a new style. I think I'm going to tackle small double strand twists again. I tried it in September and it turned out a complete and utter mess, but here goes nothing.

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 17th December 2009, 8:05 pm

we will be trying our 2 strand twists @ the same time, then Cool
-->it will be my 2nd attempt...however, i don't know how small mine will be, because i am lazy. i will try to make them as "big" as small twists can be!

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 17th December 2009, 10:35 pm

Good luck on your new style...let us know how it works out!

-Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down