CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

+51
BajanPrincess82
LaToya28
jeanlouisangel
rayray19
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
krazy coils
anz30
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
Sebastain13
KinkyNappyHappy
TerraD
Tamikac23
MahoganyCurls
Notthecoolmom
vmichelle
Stacye
FemmeFox
.:Eden:.
curly+kinky+fierce
MsJay1121
Corygentri
BlondeByDesire
Leila
SheeTacular
blondie
Juices-n-Berries
traveljunkie08
CocaColaCutie
NylaCoils
nmoultry
AfrikanLatina
Pi*Jay
HumanNature
adiaha
dajewel
Blackbeauty
d.denise
LilMsPuddles
sweetdrk1
BindyMac08
DanceOnTheSkylines
Preezie
Kea::curls
Courtie
Intelligentbeauty
tiashaunteé
lovesunshine17
lena73
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
Freestyles
55 posters

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Empty Freestyles...

Post by Freestyles 13th December 2009, 9:03 pm

DAY#1

Butters-N-Bars Challenge? Sounds like fun! I’m a little late…but count me in! Better late than never! I figure my challenge will be from December 13, 2009 through April 30, 2010! That’s a good 4 ½ months! I’m a newcomer but extremely excited about documenting my natural hair journey with everyone here on the CurlyNikki forum!

CONFESSION TIME: Okay, okay, I admit it…I’ve been neglecting my hair (among other things) for the past six months. I’m ready to make a change! This Butters-N-Bars Challenge is a great opportunity for me to nurse my tresses back to health and provide them with the much needed TLC they deserve!

HAIR HISTORY: My recollection of my hair as a child is pretty spotty at best. What I do remember is consistently getting my hair washed and pressed with a hot comb weekly by my mother while in the middle of our kitchen. It became an inevitable weekly ritual. Brutal combing, loads of grease, and the sounds of my hair sizzling loudly accompanied by smell of burning hair are among some of my most vivid memories. I recall remaining perfectly still while holding my breath and my ears back to avoid being burned and somehow still getting burned regularly! I received my first relaxer application after begging for it at the age of 12. And boy was I in love (or at least I thought I was)!

As far as relaxers are concerned, I had the worst possible type of circumstance: Extremely coarse hair and a sensitive scalp to boot! What a combination! Unfortunately, that equaled disaster for most of my relaxer applications. My desires for bone straight “European-looking” hair were usually met with wicked scalp burns and minimally processed hair. This “hair and scalp torture” went on for the next 13 years. In early 2008, after about a year of wearing various weaves for 6 week increments followed by disastrous relaxers, I took a look at the overwhelming contradiction of the two drastically different textures on my head. It was then that I first flirted with the question: Should I go natural?

The same day I decided that yes, not only was I going to go natural, but transitioning was not an option! I foolishly divulged my unrealized natural future to all who would listen and was met with great opposition. “Your hair is too nappy for that… Short hair won’t look good on you…people are going to think you are gay…You’ll never get a man with your head like that…well at least you have a pretty face…but your hair is so pretty now…you’ll regret it…Natural hair isn’t for everyone” Seriously? What the heck? Where’s the support? Undeterred, I feverishly searched for any and all resources- advice, books, blogs, tips, photos, reviews, and products on natural hair, mainly on the internet. I BC’d about a month later on March 29, 2008 and never looked back. I had no idea what my low cut natural hair would look like but always pictured having the “texturizer look” with soft defined curls. Imagine my surprise when I looked in the mirror and realized that a strange woman with “barely there” hair, 4B texture and no defined curl pattern was staring back at me! No worries though, my product search was underway. There’s got to be a product that can fix that, right? A few months and several hundred dollars later, I was shocked to find out that various products COULD NOT cause my coarse 4B hair to suddenly turn into the defined 3B ringlets that I so badly desired. Oddly enough, as my hair grew so did my acceptance of my texture. Today I’m more in love my napps than ever before! Unfortunately, that product trial period also led to an addiction: HELLO, MY NAME IS REESE AND I’M A PRODUCT JUNKIE!

Well, I’m now over a year and a half into being 100% natural and can honestly say I have no regrets on the decision to go natural. That’s not to say that I’ve had no regrets along the way because I’ve had several on this journey...

Among the regrets:

1. Heat damage

a. My hair fought the CHI Iron and the CHI won. This resulted in 3-4 inches of my hair being cut off in the front due to unrepairable heat damage.

b. Lesson learned: My hair is heat sensitive

2. Moisture neglect

a. After being gung-ho with hair care, I went on “hair-care hiatus” & badly neglected my hair. The lack of moisture resulted in severe breakage.

b. Lesson learned: My hair craves moisture

3. Over-trimming

a. Research led me to believe that I needed to constantly trim my hair to promote healthy hair growth. At this point, I don’t straighten my hair so being even is not an issue. Additionally, so far (fingers crossed) I haven’t suffered from split ends.

b. Lesson learned: Over-trimming is unnecessary and counterproductive for length retention. I now only minimally trim

4. Coloring

a. On the same day I Big Chopped, I also colored by hair with a “97% natural” Aveda Auburn color. While very cute, I suffered from extreme dryness which was difficult to combat. Co-washing daily during that period was the only thing that saved me.

b. Lesson learned: Chemical hair color and my hair don’t mix well. I found the alternative of Henna and Indigo to be a great combination for me instead.

Well…if you’ve made it through this entry - Sorry for the length…but it’s my first one…forgive me! I’m now ready to put in the effort, time, dedication, and focus to make my healthy hair dreams a reality! Wish me luck!

--Reese. Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Empty Re: Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

Post by Lynnieluve 13th December 2009, 9:29 pm

Good luck on your re-commitment to your hair. I enjoyed reading your intro.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Empty Re: Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th December 2009, 10:08 pm

Welcome welcome welcome! I look forward to reading your posts.

I hope to see you post n the other topics.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 14th December 2009, 1:02 am

welcome reese! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_rr
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Empty Flashback...

Post by Freestyles 14th December 2009, 10:19 pm

DAY#2
Ok, so I'm trying out the photo uploads today... Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_flower

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 100_2410

This is a photo of my BC day: March 29, 2008! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_sunny

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 100_2411

BC'ing had to be one of the most liberating things I've done in my life! I will definitely do it again sometime down the road! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_cheers

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 100_2310

At the salon getting rid of what was left of the creamy crack! I cut a lot off myself before arriving at the salon to make sure I wouldn't chicken out! Lol! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Affraid

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 100_2510

Feeling oh-so-free! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 678474

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 100_2610

Loving my hair...can you tell? Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Confused Aren't these icons great?

--Reese. Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 10:36 pm

Freestyles, Love the BC pics and I was thinking the same thing. I know I will BC again too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 15th December 2009, 6:44 pm

Your haircut is so cute!
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 15th December 2009, 6:50 pm

You have great taste in earrings!!!

and yes your hair is extremely cute
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 12:42 am

DAY#3
Another CONFESSION: Lately wigs have become my guilty pleasure… Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_redface

So…after careful consideration, I’ve decided to use this challenge to nurse my precious tresses back to health via the wig regimen. Others may call it a "Hide My Hair Challenge" or "Crown and Glory Technique" or even "Protective Styling"...but me? I'm going with Wig Regimen! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_cheers

My goal of course is overall health of my hair, but particularly achieving moisture and retaining length. I do not intend to use this Wig Regimen as a styling crutch, but instead as a "Healthy Hair Aid." Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 617583

My Wig Regimen Goals are as follows:

-Braid/Twist/Cornrow hair 1 time per month (2 times monthly maximum)

-Wear loose hair in style of my choice one weekend per month.
( Exception/Freebie: Special Occasions)

-Deep condition once weekly (while braided)

-Rinse and/or Co-wash once weekly (while braided)

-Detangle monthly or as needed

-Clarify monthly or as needed

-Specialized treatment once monthly
(Ex. Henna/Indigo, Bentonite Clay, Protein Treatment, Hot Oil Treatment, Brahmi Powder, Amla Powder, etc.)

-Use protective wig liner with every wig

-Apply Butters-N-Bars Shea butter to ends daily

-Apply homemade moisturizer spritz daily

-Biotin/MSM vitamins daily

-Minimum of 10 cups of water per day

-Mostly ¾ wigs to reduce hairline stress

-Sleep with Satin Scarf/Bonnet/Du-Rag...

-Change wigs daily to have fun!

YES I SAID DAILY! My goal is to never wear the same wig on consecutive days throughout this challenge...that will make it interesting!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Lol

So...why a wig regimen? Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_scratch Though a former avid weave and braid wearer, since becoming natural I love to touch my own hair daily. I’m not opposed to weaves or braids in the future but right now - I love the versatility of switching up my hair on a daily basis! I also love being able to actively care for my hair without the hassle of digging under tracks or foraging through a multitude of loose braids! It seems like the perfect solution to put my hair in "Intensive Care!" I seem to have a preference for “textured” wigs since I myself have textured hair, but please believe I have some straight silky wigs in my arsenal. That’s a fact. So please...don't be alarmed.

Guess I should have a starting point, huh? Okay...here is my hair wet.

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0111

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0010

Close-up of my texture...

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0011

Taken out of cornrows...

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0012

Now you know I can't document without the infamous length check, don't you? My shrinkage is outta control!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0113

(Note: Please ignore the crud on my face...just trying to get rid of some pimples with bentonite clay, and it worked!)

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0112

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0114

These are the cornrows for this month's wigs...I leave a bit of the hairline out (put in loose flat twists) to make for a natural hairline. Not very neat, and not parted straight, but these cornrows will have to do the job! My arms started getting tired! Hope they last the month!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0115

By the way, I often refer to my wigs as "my girls" many of them have names!

Guess it's time to debut one of my "girls" below...she is MY favorite! I emphasize MY because I've received a lot of negative feedback on her. Right now she serves as my gym wig. Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_sad

This morning pre-gym:

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0210

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0211

FLASHBACK: FEBRUARY 2009

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 100_4310

Stay tuned, my plan is to update my "girls," my hair progress, and hair regimen daily...seeing is believing, lol!

--Reese Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_rr

[/size]

Last edited by Freestyles on 16th December 2009, 1:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th December 2009, 12:45 am

You know I love to see pics of women that have BC and then months from that how much grow and length they have retained. I think it is just amazing to watch. Your growth and length is WOW Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_cheers .
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th December 2009, 1:10 am

I am gonna love following you thread!!! I just want to see all of your "girls."
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 11:14 am

DAY#4

Okay...so I applied Butters-N-Bars Naturally Organic Unrefined Shea Butter(Sun Ripened Strawberry) to my ends last night, spritzed a little plain distilled water, put on my satin bonnet and that was it!

This morning I spritzed my hair with homemade moisturizer, rubbed some BNB Shea (Watermelon), applied Wig Liner, and a bit of IC gel (with Sparklelites ) to tame my edges. Now off to work!

Here's "my girl" for today:

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0212

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0213

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0310

She's not named yet...any suggestions?

ENJOY YOUR DAY LADIES!

Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 16th December 2009, 11:56 am

I'm loving the "wig regimen"!

I did 3/4 wigs for a hot minute through my transition and I loved them. Like you, I preferred the textured wigs.

I am going to stay updated on your progress with this. Good luck!
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 16th December 2009, 12:35 pm

Your wig regimen sounds like a winner, winner chicken dinner (love this phrase from CurlyNikki)!

I like that you wear textured girls, lol.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 16th December 2009, 12:41 pm

wow. i love love love your BC pics &&& the pics showing where your hair is now &&& "the girls." switching up different looks everyday is going to be fun!!! can't wait to see Smile

P.S. what are 3/4 wigs?

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 16th December 2009, 5:48 pm

Hair twins! Smile

I was watching youtube and one of the ladies there mentioned wearing wigs provide a great opportunity to DC your hair. If you put a nice shea butter mixture on your hair and a plastic cap on under your protective wig cap, you can DC throughout the day.
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by Preezie 16th December 2009, 5:58 pm

I love your thread! I haven't tried wigs, but I think I may. You hair has grown a lot since BC. It looks good! You are well on your way.

Preezie

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 10:25 pm

@KeaCurls: Thanks for the compliments! BTW, a 3/4 wig or (three-quarters wig) is a wig that is made to cover 3/4 of your hair/head. For me, I leave a bit of my hairline out to make more of a natural appearance. Another option is a 1/2 wig (half wig) where more of your real hair is needed in order to blend with the wig for a more realistic appearance. Full wigs cover your entire head/hair and it's not necessary to leave any real hair out (I still leave some out most of the time though anyways). Hope that helps.
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_queen
@LoveSunsine: I've definitely taken advantage of wigs by deep-conditioning and even henna'ing underneath while at work! Even for those ladies that really aren't into wigs, I would invest in at least one for that purpose. You can run errands, attends event, shop, go to work, play with the kids, etc. all while deep conditioning! So convenient!

Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 16th December 2009, 10:46 pm

Well, I received my Butters-N-Bars Shipment last night! I’m super excited. Merry Christmas to me! I find myself ordering in bulk around Christmas time and my products “stretching” throughout the year. It’s the product junky in me, I’d rather have too much than not enough, and since affordable, I tend to overdo it! There, I admitted it! Ok…ok…yes, some will be given as gifts to my natural friends who can appreciate it …but for the most part? Mine ALL MINE!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0311

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0312

I first ordered from Butters-N-Bars (BNB) a little over a year ago…I must say: great customer service and quality products! The owner, Sharika, responds promptly to all questions and concerns that I’ve had via email, even when she’s sick (as she was recently)! Now that’s great service!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 678474

For years I’ve suffered with chronic dry, sensitive skin and eczema. BNB Shea butter has been heaven sent! I used to only use costly Eucerin (for body) and Cetaphil (for face) products. Those seemed to be the only products that at least partially combated my skin issues. NOT ANY MORE! Thank you Butters-N-Bars!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! 617583

I am now able to use my BNB Shea Butter from head to toe - literally! I use it almost daily to seal my ends, rub throughout my hair for added moisture & protection, use on my twists and braid outs, AND add to my oil mixes! Additionally, I use it all over my body after showering and guess what? No ashiness ALL DAY LONG! Guess I’m putting my business out there, but a sista gets ashy sometimes! And you know what else? It’s great for my feet! Sometimes I load it up on my feet before bed, put on some thick socks and my feet are nice and soft when I wake up in the morning! Great for dry hands too! I’ve even found myself reaching for the Shea butter when my lips are dry…can you say moisturize? I love, love, love, my BNB Shea Butter! I’m into variety (can you tell by my “girls?”) so the multitude of scents is definitely a plus!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_cheers

Let’s take a look at my newest buys! I’m so excited!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0316

Butters-N-Bars Organic Shea Butter Scents:

-Watermelon

-Fruits on the Beach (my new favorite scent)

-Summer Rain

-Green Apple

-Sun Ripened Strawberry

-Coco Mango

-Honey Almond

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0313

Butters-N-Bars Organic Shea Butter Mango Madness Sampler: (might give as gift)

-Mango Mango

-Mango Coconut

-Mango Peach

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0314

Shea Nut Butter Roll On:

-Sun-Ripened Strawberry

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0317

Shea Oil Body Mist:

-Coco Mango

-Triple Butter Lip Balm:

-Classic Coral

-24K Sparkle

-Uptown Bronze

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Img_0315

Ayurvedics:

-Amla Powder

-Brahmi Powder

-Dabur Vatika Oil

-Amla Oil

Large order right? It’s interesting because I made my order before joining CurlyNikki.com and this Butters-N-Bars Challenge! Naturally, since I love these products so much anyway, it would be great to join in the fun while taking a stab at the weekly giveaways, right? Win-Win if you ask me!

Stay tuned…for tomorrow’s “girl”

Last edited by Freestyles on 16th December 2009, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by DanceOnTheSkylines 16th December 2009, 10:50 pm

Hah, I'm quite the prod junkie myself xD. I always feel the need to get anything I feel is good for my hair or skin, even when I don't reeeally need it. Thank God I'm usually broke, so I can't waste too much money Smile.

DanceOnTheSkylines

Back to top Go down

Post by BindyMac08 16th December 2009, 11:50 pm

Hey I know I'm late, but just wanna say welcome and I look forward to your future posts.
BindyMac08
BindyMac08

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 17th December 2009, 12:29 am

BindyMac08 wrote:Hey I know I'm late, but just wanna say welcome and I look forward to your future posts.

Thanks for the welcome BindyMac! You are not late...I only started a few days ago! I think I have to watch out though...CurlyNikki.com is becoming too addictive! I've already been on for hours! I need to go to bed!

---Reese Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th December 2009, 12:54 am

Girl, your wigs are Fabulous!!! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BindyMac08 17th December 2009, 12:57 am

I know, I can't stop checking up on the forums - I have things to do! Oh, this is so not helping my procrastination issues...but I am learning alot. Smile
BindyMac08
BindyMac08

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 17th December 2009, 1:03 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Girl, your wigs are Fabulous!!! Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Icon_biggrin

Thanks Intelligent Beauty, I'm pretty fond of my "girls" too! We'll see what I select for tomorrow! It's funny because my "girls" have become my guilty pleasure. I absolutely love accessories and and shoes...my "girls" follow the same lines. Along with picking out various earrings, bracelets, necklaces, pumps, flats, peep-toes... I open up my closets in the morning and say, "Who do I want to be today?" Then I pick my "girl" of the day!
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! Lol

Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next