CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial

+4
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
TheRYL1
MelMelBee
kulem
8 posters

Go down

Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial Empty Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial

Post by kulem 28th March 2011, 3:02 pm

So this morning while I should have been working, I was instead reading Nikki's article on Tanika Ray. When I saw her fabulous results from a Dominican Rollerset I decided to do some research in the form of googling. In my searching I came upon this site, http://55secretstreet.typepad.com/55secretstreet/2007/07/the-dominican-b.html which led me to this article http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part2/index.html. I was completely shocked by what I read!!! OMG!
Some of you have probably read this before since it was published in 2007, but I'd never seen the article before and it made me completely sad. I can't believe that this kind of, well let me back up, I can believe that this kind of mindset exists. I guess I just don't want to believe it. It makes me not want to ever straighten my hair again. It makes me proud to be black with all of my curly kinky hair!
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial Empty Re: Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial

Post by kulem 28th March 2011, 3:05 pm

For some reason the link to the actual article is not working, so go to the first link and in the second paragraph hit the link that says Miami Herald and it will take you to the article.
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial Empty Re: Afro-Latin Americans & Black Denial

Post by MelMelBee 28th March 2011, 3:25 pm

Thank you so much for posting this article. It was fascinating!

I'm a researcher at heart and I'm a student. Much of my research focuses on African-Americans embracing and accepting our African heritage, including our hair. So to read this about Dominicans (who share an African heritage) is just...astonishing. There should definitely be more research done in this area.

I'm thankful that we (African-Americans) seem to be progressing more smoothly in this area. But this article shows just how deep and complicated breaking the cycle of oppression can be!

Excellent article!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 28th March 2011, 4:55 pm

Wow! Yes, thank you for posting this article; I hadn't read it.

To feel that way about your own looks must be a terrible feeling. So it's easier to deny it, than to embrace YOU? SMH

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 28th March 2011, 5:10 pm

That's really sad that people have been brainwashed like that. My aunt is from the DR and she always makes ignorant comments about hair and our children's complexions and things like that. I thought she was just a #%$^% , but this explains a lot. Now I just feel sorry for her. People deserve to be fully informed about their WHOLE heritage, in a positive way. Great article, very interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 28th March 2011, 6:06 pm

I'm half dominican and haitian i didn't see the article i would like to read it though how do i find it ?
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 28th March 2011, 6:23 pm

I saw the article WOW that's crazy i knew they were tension out there and dominicans do not consider themselves black officially they consider themselves latin witch they are to a certain extent but i didn't know they hated black people but haitians and dominicans do not get along mostly because Haitians are mostly blacks and Dominicans don't want to be associated with Blacks i guess it's pretty sad smh
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by kulem 28th March 2011, 8:54 pm

Can you imagine the self-hate that must be going on? And lets be real Dominicans are not the only ones that have this problem, we see it in America too. I kept thinking what about the men? Remember Sammy Sosa and how he bleached his skin white, now I know why he did it.
kulem
kulem

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 28th March 2011, 10:28 pm

I was just talking about this to my sis. (well kinda sorta)

I always wondered why some black people do not consider themselves african-amercian. I didn't realize that self hate goes that deep. Good read, but extremely sad.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by MsArabia 29th March 2011, 7:12 pm

This was a very interesting story and like some of the other ladies mentioned I never knew that such hatred existed there especially against "black" ppl or any people that acknowledge their African hereitage. **I put black in quotations b/c from what I read it seems that to them a black person is not just a person with brown skin but hair that is not straight.
MsArabia
MsArabia

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 29th March 2011, 10:47 pm

Just read the article. I had no idea ...
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down