CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisture Help Needed!!!

+3
Naturalin2010
misskris
jada07
7 posters

Go down

Moisture Help Needed!!! Empty Moisture Help Needed!!!

Post by jada07 13th February 2011, 2:48 pm

Hey guys. I am more than a year post mini chop (transitioned for 2 years prior) and I am still having trouble getting enough moisture for my hair. I am still working on finding my HG but I have a pretty good idea about what my hair likes and doesn't like. My issue is, my hair is way too thick to wet it everyday and try to style; I go for maximum style stretch! LOL. So, my question is how can I get moisturized hair all the time without having to wet it everyday and reapply product? I have tried the Kimmaytube leave-in and don't really see a major difference, although I will admit I haven't been consistent with it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
jada07
jada07

Back to top Go down

Moisture Help Needed!!! Empty Re: Moisture Help Needed!!!

Post by misskris 13th February 2011, 3:46 pm

Hey girl. Your hair is super thick. I don't know what to tell you other than moisturize evreyday even though you don't want to. You don't have to wet everyday but you can use a leave in daily. I like Cantu and YEsTo Cucumbers. Not too heavy and they both smell great. What are you using now other than the Kimmaytube? Still using that KK?
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jada07 13th February 2011, 4:20 pm

misskris wrote:Hey girl. Your hair is super thick. I don't know what to tell you other than moisturize evreyday even though you don't want to. You don't have to wet everyday but you can use a leave in daily. I like Cantu and YEsTo Cucumbers. Not too heavy and they both smell great. What are you using now other than the Kimmaytube? Still using that KK?

I don't use the same thing each time. I use Giovanni Direct, Cantu, Knot Today. Just depends on how I feel. But if I use a leave-in each day won't that disrupt the style? I usually do twist-outs and keep them for like 4 or 5 days.
jada07
jada07

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 13th February 2011, 4:32 pm

Hi jada07, you're hair is very pretty. I do not have problems with moisture when I wear a twist out. I usually can go about 4 or 5 days as well. For each section that I twist, I apply the Kimmatube leave in, then my mixture of shea butter (raw shea butter+jojoba oil+vatika oil) and then the eco pudding. When I untwist, each are very, very moisturized. My twists are more like coils because they are pretty tight. But as the days go by, they loosen but still are moist. I think, for me, the key is the shea butter mixture. HTH! Smile But, for my WnG afro -that's another story and another topic Crying or Very sad
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 13th February 2011, 8:20 pm

Hi Jada,

I used to have the same problem..while other people said their moisturized hair lasts for days, mine just wasn't having it! lol.

When i don't want to re-wet my hair, i will reapply a small amount of leave-in condish in sections (i use Giovanni Direct Leave-In or kimmaytube using Giovani instead of KCKT) and a light oil like jojoba, then cover with a plastic cap and let the shower steam help with conditioning, like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQsEU9kp24

sometimes if its mid-day i won't even get in the shower & i'll just let my body heat do the work (takes longer tho). as long as my hair doesn't get wet & i don't saturate my hair in product, then it won't shrink too much. sometimes i will retwist in big sections too.
Kea::curls
Kea::curls

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 13th February 2011, 11:36 pm

Jada, great recommendations here. Let me just add a couple of things. The moisture you get on your wash day should be the moisture foundation to take you forward 2 or 3 days. If it doesn't, perhaps some adjustment is needed UNLESS there are external things removing the moisture from your hair like indoor heating, cotton pillow cases, winter hats/caps without a satin scarf underneath, or products that are drying.(check the ingredients in your products). I pre-poo overnight with coconut oil, the next day I cleanse, do a thorough deep moisture conditioning w/ moist heat, and use leave in (Kimmay tube with the KCKT). This base moisturization lasts at least 3 days, even in this winter weather.
Sometimes, a heavier moisturizer is needed and also sealing may benefit you. Personally, I don't worry about sealing, but sealing with a butter or a heavier oil like castor or olive oil will help seal in the moisture. Just the sealing should help you retain a couple of days of moisture. The only other thing I can think of is if you have a porosity issue that is causing you to loose moisture excessively. If that is the case a protein or henna treatment should solve the problem.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 14th February 2011, 3:13 pm

Oh yeah, Jada. Duh!!!! LOL I forgot about the sealing part!!! Not sure if you already do that but if you don't that will help a lot!!! I need to redo mine tonight!!! Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 14th February 2011, 3:36 pm

Jada, in addition to the sealing, very important step, you can also try honey.

"Honey is a humectant, which means that it holds on to water molecules. This is a desirable property in a moisturizer for your hair. Honey will smooth the cuticle so the hair feels soft and looks shiny."

I've been adding raw honey to my shea mixtures, my aloe vera juice spritzer and to my Ayurveda mixtures and I can tell that my hair is definitely retaining the moisture a lot better.

Raw Honey, is better for mixing because its not as thick or sticky as regular honey (think honey in the cute little bear container) and it mixes very well with other ingredients.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 14th February 2011, 4:06 pm

I concur!! I love honey!! in my hair and my belly!!! LOL
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th February 2011, 9:00 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:Jada, in addition to the sealing, very important step, you can also try honey.

"Honey is a humectant, which means that it holds on to water molecules. This is a desirable property in a moisturizer for your hair. Honey will smooth the cuticle so the hair feels soft and looks shiny."

I've been adding raw honey to my shea mixtures, my aloe vera juice spritzer and to my Ayurveda mixtures and I can tell that my hair is definitely retaining the moisture a lot better.

Raw Honey, is better for mixing because its not as thick or sticky as regular honey (think honey in the cute little bear container) and it mixes very well with other ingredients.
I am going to add some honey to my aloe gro, never thought about it. Great idea. About how much do you put in your aloe spritz (please share the volume of the spritz). TIA
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 14th February 2011, 9:13 pm

I usually add about 2 tablespoons in with the aloe vera juice. My bottle holds 8 oz and with the aloe and honey, I add EVOO and usually some other type of oil such as avocado or macadamia nut oil.

Hope that helps.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th February 2011, 9:16 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:I usually add about 2 tablespoons in with the aloe vera juice. My bottle holds 8 oz and with the aloe and honey, I add EVOO and usually some other type of oil such as avocado or macadamia nut oil.

Hope that helps.
Yes, it helps. Thank you!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jada07 14th February 2011, 9:21 pm

Thanks everyone! Just to hit on all the suggestions:
1) For my twists I use a leave-in, a styler (some type of butter) and seal with JBCO. The first day it's great but usually by day 2 or 3 not so much.
2) I always use a satin bonnet, scarf, or pillow case to sleep so that's not the issue. Dry air indoors may be contributing though; I use space heaters cause I am always cold.
3) I will try the adding leave-in every few days...I guess I was concerned it would disrupt the style but if I don't use a lot it should be okay.
4) I tried honey once when I first went natural and my hair did not enjoy that experience. LOL. I did not use raw honey though so I will definitely revisit that.

Thanks so much guys!!!! run
jada07
jada07

Back to top Go down

Post by jada07 14th February 2011, 9:21 pm

Naturalin2010 wrote:Hi jada07, you're hair is very pretty. I do not have problems with moisture when I wear a twist out. I usually can go about 4 or 5 days as well. For each section that I twist, I apply the Kimmatube leave in, then my mixture of shea butter (raw shea butter+jojoba oil+vatika oil) and then the eco pudding. When I untwist, each are very, very moisturized. My twists are more like coils because they are pretty tight. But as the days go by, they loosen but still are moist. I think, for me, the key is the shea butter mixture. HTH! Smile But, for my WnG afro -that's another story and another topic Crying or Very sad

Thanks!
jada07
jada07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down