CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of Hair Products

+21
dajewel
yldthng
Nali1987
NiJewel
sonance
CrissyQ
funkyhairchic
yahoosbingos
NaturallyStacie
Peachtree
Fleur
pretty,Pleaseee
creolebeauty1
CarlaAR
bpjedi
letha
LadyMika
Sebastain13
meepmeep1101
Jazzyrin
ladybug
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cost of Hair Products - Page 2 Empty Re: Cost of Hair Products

Post by letha 2nd February 2011, 9:57 am

Vitacost has save me on hair purchases and I also have ordered some food items from them also.. Looking into their Agava Nectar to sweeten my coffee and teas and it comes flavored.. That is a good site and you cannot beat the shipping.. I think now its over $49 you get free shipping.. Usually its over $100 to get free shipping but at $4.95 I am cool with that shipping price.. It expires 02/28/11
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStacie 3rd February 2011, 11:29 pm

I haven't spent any money so far this year because I spent about $150-$200 last year between Oct-Dec being a PJ "stocking up" and buying products. My 2011 PJ rehab has been wonderful so far. I still have about 5 months of products left, which is going to be wonderful to my bank account.

NaturallyStacie

Back to top Go down

Post by yahoosbingos 7th February 2011, 12:03 pm

I am a bit more than happy. I just remember to read the clips and growing longer hair. You are gunna need more product, so what is the cheapest the maximum value for your hair? lol. My air conditioner is 16 ounces and cost $ 4. I think I will take a month or 2 Remove the bottle, but my hair grows, this is a great investment.

yahoosbingos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 7th February 2011, 12:44 pm

I have made some more purchases since my first post

huietful steamer
oyin honey hemp conditioner
curls curl ecstasy hair tea conditioner
burnt sugar pomade
darcy natural coils curling jelly
henna & indigo from butter n bar
Vo5 various conditioners(they were $.77)

The plan is to use all of what I have before I purchase anymore product Pray for me but I dont want to buy anything else
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic 7th February 2011, 1:18 pm

My PJism phased out a long time ago. I spend up to $20 a month on hair stuff and that's a guesstimation. I buy stuff in bulk so it lasts for months. I haven't bought shampoo and conditioner since September or October.
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 7th February 2011, 1:26 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:I have made some more purchases since my first post

huietful steamer
oyin honey hemp conditioner
curls curl ecstasy hair tea conditioner
burnt sugar pomade
darcy natural coils curling jelly
henna & indigo from butter n bar
Vo5 various conditioners(they were $.77)

The plan is to use all of what I have before I purchase anymore product Pray for me but I dont want to buy anything else

have you used your oyin burnt sugar pmade? if so how are you using it?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 7th February 2011, 1:36 pm

Went to Whole Foods over the weekend and I got products for me and my daughter that will last us for a month and a half. $150.00 dollars. Not sure if that's a lot or not. I bought:

Coconut oil: 10.00
knot today (4) 11.00 each I think???
Curly Custard (2) 29.99 each
Aubrey Organics Conditioner: 11.00 I think?

sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NiJewel 7th February 2011, 5:40 pm

WOW, I have seen some astounding figures. This year, I anticipate spending around $80. I use regular old cheap conditioner from walmart, the largest they have, prolly the whole year about $20. Cantu Leave in: $40. Unrefined shea butter: $20<

Last edited by NiJewel on 7th February 2011, 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Incomplete)
NiJewel
NiJewel

Back to top Go down

Post by NiJewel 7th February 2011, 5:44 pm

WOW, I have seen some astounding figures. This year, I anticipate spending around $80. I use regular old cheap conditioner from walmart, the largest they have, prolly the whole year about $20. Cantu Leave in: $40. Unrefined shea butter: $20<
NiJewel
NiJewel

Back to top Go down

Post by NiJewel 7th February 2011, 5:44 pm

Ok, I don't know why my full comment isn't showing up ^^ :-/
NiJewel
NiJewel

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 7th February 2011, 5:46 pm

NiJewel wrote:WOW, I have seen some astounding figures. This year, I anticipate spending around $80. I use regular old cheap conditioner from walmart, the largest they have, prolly the whole year about $20. Cantu Leave in: $40. Unrefined shea butter: $20<

Is your hair easy to detangle? I ask because my leave-in takes the most out of my budget because I have to use so much to NOT break off my hair...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 7th February 2011, 7:37 pm

(groans) Too much, just too much. American hairproducts (and school) got me living on bread and water.
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by NiJewel 7th February 2011, 8:08 pm

CarlaAR, yes, my hair is pretty easy to detangle. It just takes a long time.

But, since my whole comment isn't showing up: my total for the YEAR on hair products is probably $150. No more than that.
NiJewel
NiJewel

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 7th February 2011, 11:12 pm

Is this the rest of your message below?

NiJewel wrote:WOW, I have seen some astounding figures. This year, I anticipate spending around $80. I use regular old cheap conditioner from walmart, the largest they have, prolly the whole year about $20. Cantu Leave in: $40. Unrefined shea butter: $20 lasts me a really long time. So, yeah, I anticipate spending about $80 the entire year and my hair length is mid-back when stretched. Actually, it may be closer to $100 the entire year 'cause my hair is growing like crazy, so I'm probably going to need more products. I also forgot to add my DC product: $30. But, I'll round up and say $150 the entire year. Yup, that's it. Not bad. I don't use much in my hair. When I was younger, most of the products that we have now weren't available. All my mum and grandma used in my hair were coconut oil and shea butter and my hair was very healthy, so I just don't feel it's necessary to use a bunch of products now.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by NiJewel 10th February 2011, 2:10 pm

Yes! Where'd you find it?!? lol
NiJewel
NiJewel

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 10th February 2011, 2:20 pm

I found it when I tried to quote your message. It just came up that way - strange!
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by NiJewel 10th February 2011, 2:32 pm

Very!
NiJewel
NiJewel

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 11th February 2011, 1:20 am

This is my FOURTH day of being natural (still need one more trim to get the last bit of relaxer off the top) and, counting what I bought tonight, I've already spent about $150.
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 11th February 2011, 1:26 am

yldthng wrote:This is my FOURTH day of being natural (still need one more trim to get the last bit of relaxer off the top) and, counting what I bought tonight, I've already spent about $150.

The good news is you only need to cut your hair once with follow-up trims once or twice a year depending on the condition of your hair and how well you take care of it. But if you do want to keep your hair short, that's a different story unless you learn to cut your own hair. If you do keep your hair short, you wont need as much product unlike me who goes through 12oz of leave-in every 3-4 weeks, LOL.

Congrats on doing the BC!
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybug 11th February 2011, 8:05 pm

yldthng wrote:This is my FOURTH day of being natural (still need one more trim to get the last bit of relaxer off the top) and, counting what I bought tonight, I've already spent about $150.

:-) I remember when I BC'd and bought way too many products. It's just a process that you have to go through. Congratulations on your BC.
ladybug
ladybug

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 11th February 2011, 9:09 pm

Peachtree wrote:I average about $40 mth total for both myself and my daughter.

Your daughter's hair looks just like my 16 year old's hair. I was SO happy when she started to do her own hair. Ain't nothing like plaiting and braiding hair that never ends. LOL.
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng 11th February 2011, 9:15 pm

ladybug wrote::-) I remember when I BC'd and bought way too many products. It's just a process that you have to go through. Congratulations on your BC.

Thank you - I love it! I've been wanting to go natural for a few years and it finally seemed like the right time. Now, if I can just find what works for me. Until then, I'm sure I'ma keep buying stuff. :-)
yldthng
yldthng

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th February 2011, 2:53 pm

seriously, a couple grand?? i couldn't even spend that much if i bought all the products out there that i would like to try at some point in one sitting. also, i don't like wasting things and that is another reason why i am steadfast with my spending habits. if i don't need it, then i won't buy it. am sorry, but seriously??? am not trying to be insensitive, but was there a void that you were trying to compensate for? that is a true and honest question.

since i have started on my hhj in april-ish of 2009 and finally solidified a regimin in october 2009 and pretty much stayed with since then (with the exception of using ayurvedic herbs starting in december of 2010....and even those herbs will last me for 6 months and they are already dirt cheap to begin with), i want to estimate that i purchased approximately $380 worth of products, hair accessories and stuff like flexirods. some of the products i purchase i also use to eat (oils, honey, egg, etc). i have to purchase castor oil and that will cost me $7 and will last for another year and a half.

since i keep my hair in twists the majority of the time i find that i hardly need to use product on my twists. maybe i add a lil moisture to the ends and seal once every two days. there are days that i don't need to add anything. i find that castor oil is very economical in ensuring hair is moisturized cuz a lil goes a lonnggggg way. i also find that wrapping my hair in twists at night (like when we did when permed or pressed) helps distribute and seal moisture into hair that lasts for longer amounts of time.

other ways i manage to cut down on spending:
find someone who is your hair twin and copy their regimen. that cut out most of the work and unnecessary spending for me.

purchase at tj maxx, marshalls, ross, etc

purchase product before doing research. alot of products have the same basic ingredients....the difference is how they smell. marinate on the research to see if u really need it. don't just jump on a bandwagon.

purchase products when online companies have sales/deals: kbb, kbn, butters n bars (i got tons of free poo and herbal powders in december just by entering the freebie codes), etc

try not to purchase on the spur of the moment because most times u will have buyer's remorse

if u find that u don't need a product, try to return it back to get a store credit/exchange for another product or something else that u truly need.
buy sample sizes before buying the full size

if u find that u don't need a product, donate to non profits because u can probably write it off as a charitable donation on ur taxes. I can definitely tell u non profits like dress for success would so appreciate the donation. this organization helps all women, including black women in their quest for dressing and grooming to help in their journey for employment.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird 12th February 2011, 5:47 pm

I have been natural for a while, but I just started caring for my hair in December. I didn't have any products at all so I spend about $200 buyIng oils, shampoos, & conditioner not to mention tools. Since then I have spent about $100 each month on products. Most of my money goes toward conditioners because my hair is hard to detangle. At this point I am over buying the small bottles of each product. I want the huge bottles. I just bought a 32 oz shampoo and will order a gallon size Giovanni smooth as silk. If anyone can tell me where I can buy my oils in at least 16 oz. I would really appreciate it. My thinking is to buy the huge bottles from now on. Hoping to save some money in the long run.
cagebird
cagebird

http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 12th February 2011, 6:55 pm

@cagebird, I order my oils and butters from Camdengrey, they have sizes ranging from 1 0z to 1 gallon I believe. The only thing is, there is a 20 dollar minimum purchase rule. HTH

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next