CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can't stop ITCHING! HELP!

3 posters

Go down

I can't stop ITCHING! HELP! Empty I can't stop ITCHING! HELP!

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 18th January 2011, 1:25 am

Hey ladies! For about a month now I have been getting intense itching outbreaks all over my body. It usually occurs when I'm at home (thank goodness). I've changed soaps, shampoos, lotions, sheets, just about everything. Nothing helps. Of course I went to the doctor but he just gave me some meds (steroids?) I haven't seen much of a difference though. Upon doing a little research of my own, I believe I have dermatographism (google it for some crazy pics). It's a big word that basically means, a little bit of pressure on my skin means I get itchy hives and welts. I can write on my arms in welts. (Very weird, but my hubby gets a kick out of it) A little bit more research has let me know that only 5% of the population has it and there's no known cause or cure (yay me.) I told this extremely loooooong story to ask, what do you ladies do for itching relief? I'm willing to do anything. This itching is OUT OF CONTROL.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

I can't stop ITCHING! HELP! Empty Re: I can't stop ITCHING! HELP!

Post by mizcreativelyme 18th January 2011, 10:30 am

in the winter months, due to the air being drier and hypersensitive skin, i occassionaly battle with a very similar skin problem - contact dermatitis - welts, rashes, unexplained redness, etc. skin conditions can be related to external allergens OR sometimes internal issues. either way, try to drink plenty of water to help flush your system, especially during flare-ups. you may want to try taking colloidal oatmeal baths every night [aveeno or make a homemade mix]. also, if you use a liquid body wash, try diluting 50:50, since most are very concentrated. i use liquid ivory body wash diluted 50:50 and sometimes johnsons baby wash. as far as topical treatment, i use cetaphil moisturizing cream for dry/sensitive skin and i sometimes mix with a little hydocortisone cream.

homemade oatmeal bath
under running warm bath water, pour in about 1 cup finely ground oats (oatmeal) and 1 tablespoon or so of olive oil (or whatever oil you have on hand). soak in bath for at least 30 minutes. blot skin until slightly damp and apply moisturizing cream.

link below shows Aveeno bath pack - can be purchased at your local grocer, wal-mart, pharmacy, etc.

http://www.westburyonline.com/Aveeno-Natural-Colloidal-Oatmeal-Bath-Treatment-8-Packets-P4560.aspx
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 18th January 2011, 11:13 am

The oatmeal bath is an excellent idea, but put the ground oatmeal in a clean knee-hi or sock. Hang the sock on the faucet and let the warm water run over it. You can use the wet oatmeal sock to gently pat your skin in the bath or use it in the shower.

I do this all the time. Oatmeal is my winter time friend. Smile
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down