CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is natural hair going out of style?

+15
poeticlyspkng
DvaAuNaturel
TiffNotANY
Tinkie
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
naturalesque
fanmnatirel
Daretobecurly
Treece
sweetdrk1
Duchess52
creolebeauty1
misskris
naturallynola
naturallychelsea
19 posters

Go down

Is natural hair going out of style? Empty Is natural hair going out of style?

Post by naturallychelsea 17th January 2011, 11:01 pm

Recently I wrote this post asking my readers whether or not they thought natural hair was going out of style. It seems that like many fashion statements it started with a boom and now that people are bored is dying. Here's the post; http://curlyandyoung.blogspot.com/2011/01/natural-hair-is-so-last-season.html

What do you think? Is natural hair going out of style?
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Is natural hair going out of style? Empty Re: Is natural hair going out of style?

Post by naturallynola 17th January 2011, 11:36 pm

Well Chelsea, this is interesting. Hair and clothes make their rounds about every 15 - 20 years. These things are cyclic. There are those who are in it for the long haul. For example a YTer, African Export, has been natural over 10 years (I don't remember exactly how long). There are those who are just passing through. Personally, I am a natural here to stay. When I become elderly and no one wants to take care of my hair, they can cut it off. I'll sport a TWA, but I will still be natural.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Is natural hair going out of style? Empty Re: Is natural hair going out of style?

Post by misskris 17th January 2011, 11:42 pm

I have been natural for about 15 years now and have no plans whatsoever to turn back. I do not miss a relaxer and frankly don't need one. Who really NEEDS a relaxer??? lol Even when I had one I was never one to go get the touch ups. I pretty much would get the 1st one and then that's it. The last time I got one was my freshman year in college and that was it. That was 1995/1996. I actually think natural hair is coming on stronger than ever. But I do also agree that for some it is just a trend. Sorry for them!!! LOL More and more people I know are beginning to go natural now. Some have been for years, some literally just now starting to grow out the relaxers. YAY for them!!!!!
afro
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 17th January 2011, 11:42 pm

I think that some people are transitioning and going natural to have a certain look they saw but after transitioning , protective styling and so on most will give up anyways and the ones that don't won't relaxed after all that hard work well i'm hopeful i'm transitioning i decided to go natural because i'm sick and tired of damaged hair that won't grow and because i truly think this way is for the best and although i may wear wigs , weaves , and even flat iron my hair i will never perm again it's not needed
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchess52 17th January 2011, 11:54 pm

OUT OF STYLE????? Are you kidding me??

I am older (58 yrs) but have NO intention what so ever to go back to relaxing my hair. I am so in love with my curls...and taking care of them is so much fun...
NO WAY JOSE!!!
The way I feel right now is that I will probably sport a TWA well...maybe not so teeny weeny...but short anyway.... it really feels good and I like the way I look...
Duchess52
Duchess52

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th January 2011, 12:13 am

Yes, this is it for me...I didn't know what was under the there all these years! I am in love with my curls!!! So no it's not out of style for me at all!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 18th January 2011, 12:23 am

I have no intentions of going back, but it would be interesting to see if it will die out. Then years from now it will surge again. Razz I'm sure when it happens it brings along ppl who want to stay.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Daretobecurly 18th January 2011, 12:50 am

I don't think so because you know the old saying "Once you go natural you never go back" lol. But really I'm beginning to see more and more naturals everywhere I go. Every natural I speak with has no plans on returning to a relaxer. I did however have a co-worker who went back to a relaxer and hates it, she is currently transitioning.
Daretobecurly
Daretobecurly

http://www.chicrings.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 18th January 2011, 1:00 am

In my opinion, being natural is wayyyy to hard for someone to do it "just because".

It is too time consuming(IMO) for people to do it because it's "IN".

It takes time and patience AND MONEY (for some).

Many ladies think they would look ugly if they cut their hair (those are plain crazy ...look at sweetdrk1...FLY SISTER!!!!)....So the weak ones definitely can't handle it...sorry....

I would much rather say that people have different reasons for going natural...but I honestly do not see how it can be a trend....

fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 18th January 2011, 1:28 am

I think that natural hair is still "in style." I see tons of natural textured people everyday. BUT I am sure that for those who chopped or transitioned to natural hair just to achieve a certain "style" the "look" will wear out and they may revert to what they know best (relaxers, weaves, braids, etc).

Personally, I am 100 percent sure that I will never relax again. Very Happy Whether "in style" or not, it will always be MY style. Natural hair is way too versatile for me to go back to a relaxer.
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 18th January 2011, 1:44 am

fanmnatirel wrote:In my opinion, being natural is wayyyy to hard for someone to do it "just because".

It is too time consuming(IMO) for people to do it because it's "IN".

It takes time and patience AND MONEY (for some).

Many ladies think they would look ugly if they cut their hair (those are plain crazy ...look at sweetdrk1...FLY SISTER!!!!)....So the weak ones definitely can't handle it...sorry....

I would much rather say that people have different reasons for going natural...but I honestly do not see how it can be a trend....

This is what I believe. It takes WAY too much effort to have naturally textured hair for it to be a fad. Wearing a kinky/curly wig or weave may be going out of style but the process of transitioning and/or BC-ing can't be qualified a fad or in/out of style. It's a lifestyle!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinkie 18th January 2011, 6:44 am

I think getting relaxers are going out of style. Relaxers arent needed anymore like if somebody want straight hair they can flat iron or rollerset. With all these great products/info and tips, relaxers arent something people need.
Tinkie
Tinkie

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 18th January 2011, 9:16 am

Nice responses ladies I think I have to agree with most of the points that you have given about people never wanting to go back and natural hair being time consuming therefore persons who do it are in it for the long haul. However, I also know that there are alot of people jumping on the bandwagon for a hair type they may never have or without realizing how time consuming it is. When you go into things for the wrong reasons and are disappointed people may just get fed up.

I would also have to say that relaxers are still in. They can easily be done to give a permanent straight look. For the most part if you want the really straight look you are going to have to go to the salon or spend hours with a blow dryer, pressing comb, then flat iron (I saw this combo get this ladies hair really straight). However, what I do like is that women are not overprocessing their hair like they used to. They are leaving it somewhat thick and finishing off with flat irons which isn't so bad.

But like Treece says it will be interesting to see if it dies then re surges. I'd love to see the naturals left standing.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY 18th January 2011, 9:53 am

I'm a long term transitioner and I KNOW that I won't ever go back to relaxers. I definitely think that it's a lifestyle but there will always be those that try and may not like it. It's gonna take time and practice to tame your hair and for the first time in my life I have patience with something lol. I really don't like when my sister calls it a trend, I'm not doing it because all the cool kids are, I'm doing this for me, my scalp and my health.
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 18th January 2011, 2:16 pm

I don't think that just because going natural is hard for some people that it won't still make it a trend. Throwing on a weave or a wig (at no offense to anyone who does!) while transitioning is pretty darn simple. Then you cut it off, rock the fro for awhile, realize you don't want to put the effort into styles, and then bam, you're back to relaxers.

Trends don't just stop with clothing or hair. Going green products can be considered a trend, and finding a recycle unit can be hard depending on where you live.

While I would agree that trends tend to more of the easier side, it doesn't mean that people won't take the extra effort to have the curly hair style while it's booming.

If you want to stick with it, the hard part isn't a problem. If you don't then you'll give up pretty easy.

Hope this all makes sense, when I type my thoughts go all over the place. God help me when I type papers lol.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 18th January 2011, 3:03 pm

Tinkie wrote:I think getting relaxers are going out of style. Relaxers arent needed anymore like if somebody want straight hair they can flat iron or rollerset. With all these great products/info and tips, relaxers arent something people need.

I agree. And as MissKris pointed out relaxers weren't soemthing that is NEEDED anyway; want, but definitely not need.

I believe (or would like to anyway) people are becoming more educated about hair and haircare, therefore I do not think natural hair is a trend. With all of the increased evidence of the effects on the hair resulting from relaxers, weaves, and braids (traction alopecia anyone?) people are rethinking their hair choices. Of course, there will still be some who relax no matter what but as people realize the cost of doing so they've sought out alternate options to wearing their hair straight, like blowouts or even wits. But it my hope that people would rather have healthy natural hair than no hair or thin or balding straight hair.

As Oprah says what I know for sure is this, me and my hair are both here to stay. No going back...only progressing forward. flower

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 18th January 2011, 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 18th January 2011, 3:03 pm

I think that trend is in the eye of the beholder. Once contacts were invented, folks abandoned glasses. But glasses continue to be in the mix whether a person actually "needs" them or not. I think natural hair is no different. I know plenty of folks who were natural before it was "cool" if you will but if we're honest- natural hair has always been there. I know plenty of naturals who wear their hair straight. It's an option, they chose it. No big deal in my opinion. That's the thing about natural hair- you really don't who is and/or isn't. So in that way- to me it will never be a trend and it will always exist. Some trends create eye opening moments and I feel like natural hair is no different. Some will return to relaxers and the rest of us won't. At the end of the day though- does it matter? Many have never even given their hair a shot without chemicals. This is the opportunity to see if life without chemicals is possible. And not only are they saving $$, but most are finding out that it absolutely... IS!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Loving me 18th January 2011, 3:44 pm

It may be going out of style for one who "went natural" to jump on the bandwagon. However, those of us that are natural for other reasons dont really care what everybody else is doing.... in my opinion of course.

Whether its fashionable now or not, years down the line i'll still be embracing my natural healthy strong beautiful hair. Smile
Loving me
Loving me

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 18th January 2011, 3:49 pm

I know I am never going back to straightening my hair. It doesn't match up with my lifestyle. I love the freedom to sweat like a dog at the gym, swim, run out in the rain travel w/o having to panic about not being able to get my hair done and so on.

If I haven't once straightened my hair since going natural, chances are it wont be happening.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by SumKindaWndrful 18th January 2011, 4:35 pm

Tinkie wrote:I think getting relaxers are going out of style. Relaxers arent needed anymore like if somebody want straight hair they can flat iron or rollerset. With all these great products/info and tips, relaxers arent something people need.

I totally agree! Women are learning how to care for their hair properly like never before. "The Natural" may have been a fad decades ago, but many people actually destroyed their hair with chemicals to get it to look that way (borax etc.) Now it's about healthy and it's not just with hair, being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle is what's going on what right now but I believe the benefits people experience are too good for most to go back!

BTW, it's never been a fad for me! Been natural going 8 years strong I love you
SumKindaWndrful
SumKindaWndrful

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 18th January 2011, 4:44 pm

SumKindaWndrful wrote:

I totally agree! Women are learning how to care for their hair properly like never before. "The Natural" may have been a fad decades ago, but many people actually destroyed their hair with chemicals to get it to look that way (borax etc.) Now it's about healthy and it's not just with hair, being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle is what's going on what right now but I believe the benefits people experience are too good for most to go back!

BTW, it's never been a fad for me! Been natural going 8 years strong I love you

so off topic...hello SumKindaWndrful! hope i don't sound like a 'you tube groupie' ... lol ... but i am such a fan of your channel. you always speak on interesting topics and your fam is truly adorable [i'm diggin' the tresses too]. although i didn't win in your last giveaway, i must say that you had some awesomely wonderful prizes -very talented/crafty work ... thanks for sharing your world with us chica! best wishes... cheers
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down