CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Losing curl

+10
krazy coils
Tnt38
chynadoll8799
Jo Somebody
naturalesque
rayray19
creolebeauty1
Duchess52
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
meepmeep1101
14 posters

Go down

Losing curl Empty Losing curl

Post by meepmeep1101 17th January 2011, 10:56 pm

I'm losing curl and I do not know why. When I first went natural abt 6 months ago, my hair was full of coils, and now all I have is puff, and straight hair. I don;t understand. :(
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Losing curl Empty Re: Losing curl

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 17th January 2011, 10:59 pm

Do you straighten your hair with heat? If so, it may be heat damage...
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchess52 17th January 2011, 11:02 pm

meepmeep1101 wrote:I'm losing curl and I do not know why. When I first went natural abt 6 months ago, my hair was full of coils, and now all I have is puff, and straight hair. I don;t understand. Sad

So sorry to hear that. Posting a picture would be helpful.
Duchess52
Duchess52

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 17th January 2011, 11:19 pm

let's see what's it looks like and if you used heat it can be heat damaged if not sometimes hair go through phases and misbehave
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 18th January 2011, 2:14 am

yea heat damage hair tends to loose its curl
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 18th January 2011, 3:48 am

I use no heat at all. :( Not even a blowdryer

They only things that have been happening differently:
I started using an ACV rinse every week, but i havent for at least 3 weeks
I changed conditioners about early december (i think that might be it :( ) Its v05

I'm actually wanted to switch to Yes to Carrots. I will be in a couple of days.

I only have a pic of what my coils did look like. I didn't take one today. I guess i will next time.
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 18th January 2011, 4:18 am

Hmm... How are you styling your hair?
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 18th January 2011, 4:44 am

[quote="Mandi'sGoneCurly!"]Hmm... How are you styling your hair?[/quote]

Well since its grown a bit now, I do flat twist outs, and 2 strand twist bantu knot outs. The latter was my transitioning style. After I co wash, I get my hair a little dry and put shea butter and aloe vera gel on my hair. Then I style if I want since I co-wash abt every 2 days. When I go longer then that, my hair doesnt like it. And in my spray bottle is distilled water, avacado oil, grapeseed oil, a little aloe vera, and a drop of peppermint.
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 18th January 2011, 5:07 am

That sounds about right... I'm not sure why your hair is straightening. Maybe the other ladies have some suggestions.... Sorry Sad
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 18th January 2011, 11:05 am

Maybe you need a protein treatment? Something like Nexxus Keraphix or Aphogee 2 minute? (both of which are middle of the road protein conditioners).
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 18th January 2011, 11:27 am

[quote="naturalesque"]Maybe you need a protein treatment? Something like Nexxus Keraphix or Aphogee 2 minute? (both of which are middle of the road protein conditioners).[/quote]

Hmm. The last time I had a protein treatment was sometime in December. I thought that buying a conditioner with protein in it would help? Does it matter what type of protein?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 18th January 2011, 11:42 am

Maybe because your hair is longer, the weight of the hair/gravity is pulling it out of its curl?
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 18th January 2011, 11:54 am

maybe you can try doing an acv rinse a little less often? I dont think that will casue your hair to straighten but maybe its worth a try. I have read that too much acv rinse can be a problem.

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnt38 18th January 2011, 12:57 pm

Hey maybe try doing a amla treatment it helps clump the curls/coils together. If you have a Indian store in your area they should have some amla powder for about 1.99! HTH
Tnt38
Tnt38

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 18th January 2011, 12:59 pm

meepmeep1101 wrote:
naturalesque wrote:Maybe you need a protein treatment? Something like Nexxus Keraphix or Aphogee 2 minute? (both of which are middle of the road protein conditioners).

Hmm. The last time I had a protein treatment was sometime in December. I thought that buying a conditioner with protein in it would help? Does it matter what type of protein?

Are you only co-washing your hair with conditioner? Your hair could have too much moisture and you need protein to restore your curls. Either of the two mentioned by Naturalesque are good since they are not hard protein treatments.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 18th January 2011, 2:18 pm

I think the acid in the ACV rinses could be the culprit. Because it is an acid overusage can break down the bonds and disrupt elasticity. Try reconstructing your bonds with the Aphogee 2-Step Protein Treatment. Check out this article from the Curl Whisperer regarding ACV usage.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/04/curl-whisperer-on-acv-rinses.html

Excerpt:
"One caution: you need to bear in mind that ACV is an acid--over 100 times more acidic than your hair--and it needs to be respected as such. Acids can and will start to degrade your hair shaft with overuse, so you must be cautious and pay strict attention to your hair's reaction to frequent ACV rinse use. I personally believe a monthly to bi-monthly ACV rinse provides more than sufficient benefit for almost everyone.

Depending on your hair texture and porosity, you may be able to support a greater amount/frequency of usage than others can, but you must be careful to judge yours accordingly. If you are doing frequent ACV rinses and are seeing positive results, then your dilution ratio is most likely suited to your hair type.

If you begin to notice degradation in your hair shaft--breakage, frayed ends, dryness, brittleness, or more porous hair--then you need to revisit your proportions and make adjustments accordingly."
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 18th January 2011, 2:34 pm

My hair gets straight (and frizzy) when I've used some forbidden products in my hair that I know my hair hates such as 'cones or glycerin. Straight, frizzy and dry. Shampooing with a mild sulfate shampoo is the only thing that helped me.

I know you've received a lot of advice so far - I hope something works for you...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Ashley 18th January 2011, 4:22 pm

Whenever I start lose curl, I put lots of conditioner usually Aussie Moist then take my fingers and in a circle motions I go over my entire head. Plus with cold water they pop right back.
Just Ashley
Just Ashley

http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 18th January 2011, 4:23 pm

I agree with 1FlySista and Naturalesque. You may want to put the AVC down for a bit and try diluted shampoos or something else to clean your hair. Doing the Aphogee 2 Step treatment will help if you hair doesn't just grow straight. I know it has helped me alot (heat damage). I follow up with the 2 Minute Keratin Treatment between 2 Step Treatments (maybe 1 every 2 weeks) and you should be okay.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down