CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage

+5
naturallyu
Ambitious_Tiff
misskris
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
naturallynola
9 posters

Go down

Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage Empty Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage

Post by naturallynola 17th January 2011, 2:06 pm

Fellow curlies, I know many are interested in length checks and normally achieve this by straightening the hair. Sometimes, people want a change from the world of curls and desire a straight style. In the process of straightening (whether by a stylist or DIY approach), sometimes heat damage is an unintended consequence. Here are a couple of videos that may be helpful. Also, feel free to chime in with your techniques, precautions, products, or lessons learned you feel could be beneficial to other curlies. LeobodyC5 states she only uses Maxiglide. Perhaps others have comments on this tool or other tools they feel are good choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OncskKKu8KU&feature=fvwrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoGCcW4DLR4&feature=relmfu

Last edited by naturallynola on 17th January 2011, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage Empty Re: Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 17th January 2011, 2:11 pm

Great post!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage Empty Re: Straightening hair and avoiding heat damage

Post by misskris 17th January 2011, 11:12 pm

OOOh that same thing happened to me in 2001. I had this older lady I worked with straighten my hair w/a stove iron....NEVER again!!! She burned the hell outta my hair. Even after 3 washes the curls never came back so I BC all over again. I thought she knew waht she was doing cuz she hot combed her own hair all the time and hers was always nice. Boy was I wrong!!!! But anyway, I straigjhten my own hair now with a CHI and haven't had any damage ever with it!!
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 17th January 2011, 11:27 pm

Misskris, do you use anything for heat protection? Just curious. Some people don't use anything. Some ppl use grapeseed oil, shea butter, commercial heat protectant sprays, serums, etc. LeobodyC5 doesn't use anything and her hair looks very healthy.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 17th January 2011, 11:36 pm

i have done both. but the last time i blow dried it i used that iC in the hot pink bottle. i think i like it. but i haven't used it to flat iron yet. i thought about using grapeseed oil but haven't bought any yet. never used shea as a heat protectant yet either. i hear that grapeseed oil has the highest burn point so it's good for flat ironing. But I haven't seen it in the store (haven't looked for it though really). Leobody's hair is absolutely gorgeous. She's on my list on youtube. I think it's ok though to not use anything when using a ceramic iron. At least that's what I heard. They say that the ceramic uses the natural oils in your hair so you don't need any extra oils. I never had any problems when I did it with nothing.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 17th January 2011, 11:52 pm

I flat ironed not too long ago to do my length check for the Castor Oil challenge. I am extra careful to make sure I use heat protectant (Aphogee Green Tea Keratin). I try doing a roller set on the hair the night before to kinda stretch it out and loosen it up b/c I will not go over the same section more than twice even though I use ceramic irons. I have always been scared to use oils for fear of frying my hair like a piece of chicken. Shocked
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 18th January 2011, 2:01 am

I have a maxiglide and I love it. Whenever I straighten I only use EVCO.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 18th January 2011, 2:04 am

@ Misskriss...What chi do you use? Is it the one that is has heat adjustable dials?
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by KOKOQT 21st January 2011, 1:30 pm

Hey Ladies!
This could possibly be a silly question but I'll ask anyway..Are you flat ironing while it is dry or damp?I know from experience using a blow dryer can add EXTRA heat damage.So I'm just curious to know if you're towel drying before you flat iron?
KOKOQT
KOKOQT

http://http//:iadorn4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 21st January 2011, 1:53 pm

I don't think its a silly question. I flat iron only on dry hair since that is what my flat iron is designed for. I have a suspicion my hair would not come out very straight if I attemped it otherwise. Neutral
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 21st January 2011, 5:43 pm

I have midstrand splits. I asked my stylist to DT it and flatiron it for a trim (and length check).

Ah, Vanity No

I noticed more breakage the following week. affraid

This may seem like a dumb statement, but do not flat iron your hair if you're experiencing splitting.
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd January 2011, 1:58 am

On my list to research but just thinking about it a little, ladies have used petroleum/mineral oil based ""hair grease"" to "press" natural hair for many decades. This heavy "grease" did protect the hair from damage, added sheen, and allowed the pressing comb to move freely down the hair strands. So, using an oil to protect the hair from heat does not seem strange to me and I am game to try it some time in the future when I am more educated on this and am comfortable with the proper oil.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Southernbeauty83 22nd January 2011, 10:21 pm

I just recently flat iron my hair with no problems I used a cantu shea heat protection spray. I just washed my hair tonight and my hair is just as curly as before.. But I prefer curly hair!!! Smile I also used Vitamin E and Olive oil just to give my hair the shine afterwards when I flat ironed it....
Southernbeauty83
Southernbeauty83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down