CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is this a new reason why its best to go natural

+17
Fleur
CarlaAR
tpayne22
Indigo.Blue
mokacoffey
fanmnatirel
tamtam7
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
chynadoll8799
DaButterflyBAP
Color_Me_Coily
Nali1987
Kittabug
creolebeauty1
Madeaj
fuzzypuff
Just Ashley
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

is this a new reason why its best to go natural Empty is this a new reason why its best to go natural

Post by Just Ashley 11th January 2011, 5:53 pm

A older gentleman approached me and asked me why I decided to be a nappy-head Black woman. At first I was taken a back but I answered calmly that my hair was breaking off and I notice thin/blad spots. He then told me that was not a good enough reason. Shocked

He told me (with a straight face) I should tell people I went natural because the world is going to end in 2012 and its better to learn how to do my hair now without chemicals than be one who is going to struggle with relax hair. I told him that people are going to be more concern with other things if the world ends He gave me a smile and as he was walking away he said not Black women.

Is that a good reason to go natural? I see this man all the time because I take my great grandfather to his appointments at the hospital weekly. So, what should I say to him next time I see him?
Just Ashley
Just Ashley

http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

is this a new reason why its best to go natural Empty Re: is this a new reason why its best to go natural

Post by fuzzypuff 11th January 2011, 5:59 pm

Wow. From the little that you've disclosed, I think the man may be a little....out there? In that case, if he approaches you again and says something to you, I would reply with "thank you, have a great day" and keep it moving....
fuzzypuff
fuzzypuff

Back to top Go down

is this a new reason why its best to go natural Empty Re: is this a new reason why its best to go natural

Post by Madeaj 11th January 2011, 6:02 pm

I suggest a simple polite greeting. Good morning, afternoon etc. Then go on with what you were doing. You don't owe anyone an explanation for your decision regarding your body.

You've answered his question, even though you didn't have to. If he asks again, smile politely and move on like you thought he said good morning.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 11th January 2011, 6:41 pm

NExt time he approach you with his BS tell him to go fly a kite or kick rocks and if he don't get out your face you are going to make sure he leaves this earth before 2012 ... LMAO ( wishful thinking right )
Just smile and keep walking or stare without saying nothing (people hate that ) lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittabug 11th January 2011, 6:55 pm

LMAO @ Creolebeauty!!!!
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 11th January 2011, 7:05 pm

Obviously, he's nuts.
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 11th January 2011, 7:07 pm

LMAO smh Sometimes i wish i could LOL but i don't want to catch a case so i smile lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Color_Me_Coily 11th January 2011, 7:13 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:NExt time he approach you with his BS tell him to go fly a kite or kick rocks and if he don't get out your face you are going to make sure he leaves this earth before 2012 ... LMAO ( wishful thinking right )
Just smile and keep walking or stare without saying nothing (people hate that ) lol

or to mind his dayum business...

@creolebeauty1 i love your comments... you remind me of of an older version of me =D haha love it
Color_Me_Coily
Color_Me_Coily

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 11th January 2011, 7:18 pm

LOL
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 11th January 2011, 9:11 pm

I fight fools.
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 11th January 2011, 9:34 pm

Im like DaButterflyBAP, I fight "ignant" folks.
And if the damn world is ending in 2012, then who CARES what ANYONE's hair looks like?
what an arse!

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 11th January 2011, 10:22 pm

Shocked wtf.

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 11th January 2011, 10:29 pm

Wow! That man is crazy. I deal with ignant azz older people all of the time. I usually just say with all due respects and then respond directly to their ignant comment. I try to give them a lil' respect before I go off because I'm a southern girl and I was raised to be somewhat respectful to older people, I try to...but it sure is hard. LOL Yeah I would just say something like with all due respects sir, this is my hair and I choose to wear my hair in the style that best suits me.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 11th January 2011, 10:32 pm

yeah....i think he is crazy.....
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 11th January 2011, 10:58 pm

@ tamtam7- lmao "ignant azz old people.."

Back to top Go down

Post by mokacoffey 11th January 2011, 11:54 pm

Sounds like he might be in the wrong area of the hospital....psych ward down the hall, perhaps? As if you were interested in what his opinion!... some people, I swear. Mad

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 11th January 2011, 11:58 pm

But in all honesty, there is a whole bunch of folks that believe that 2012 is "the year".

Now with the birds and the fish...
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 12th January 2011, 4:03 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for not being rude. There was no need. Clearly he has a story and it would be nothing less than silly to take his comments personal. His issue is not with you...next time, if you have the patience, just talk with him. If he has a problem with black women it is senseless to confirm his suspicions...Remember, his is probably someone's grandfather and I am sure you would not want someone going off on your grandfather for something he said...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 12th January 2011, 4:41 pm

Personally, I'd tell him to screw off. But thats just me. How rude of him!
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 12th January 2011, 6:49 pm

Indigo.Blue wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you for not being rude. There was no need. Clearly he has a story and it would be nothing less than silly to take his comments personal. His issue is not with you...next time, if you have the patience, just talk with him. If he has a problem with black women it is senseless to confirm his suspicions...Remember, his is probably someone's grandfather and I am sure you would not want someone going off on your grandfather for something he said...

He sounds a little to crazy to just have a casual conversation with. I would hightail it out of there ASAP.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 12th January 2011, 7:37 pm

If you are taking your great-grandfather to the hospital weekly and seeing this man every time, then I'm assuming that you're going to a Veteran's hospital or facility where long-term care is needed. This man could possibly be severely ill himself with some type of early onset dementia or other degenerative illness. We need to be careful how we treat people because they can be disabled or not themselves anymore. Regardless, I would have to keep it short or keep it moving. You don't need to cause a ruckus by fighting or going off on someone who is obviously ill, unless you're prepared for the possibility that things can go from bad to worse, (Dave Chappelle's "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" pops into my head). Just because you see that man, doesn't mean that you need to acknowledge him.

Also I'm not sure how to answer your other question because I don't know how to connect 2012 to natural hair care. Good luck and I hope it all works out.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 12th January 2011, 8:55 pm

Just Ashley wrote:A older gentleman approached me and asked me why I decided to be a nappy-head Black woman. At first I was taken a back but I answered calmly that my hair was breaking off and I notice thin/blad spots. He then told me that was not a good enough reason. Shocked

He told me (with a straight face) I should tell people I went natural because the world is going to end in 2012 and its better to learn how to do my hair now without chemicals than be one who is going to struggle with relax hair. I told him that people are going to be more concern with other things if the world ends He gave me a smile and as he was walking away he said not Black women.

Is that a good reason to go natural? I see this man all the time because I take my great grandfather to his appointments at the hospital weekly. So, what should I say to him next time I see him?
I would just ignore him. For some elderly people, our natural looks takes them back to the days of slavery and oppression. I believe that our hair is a reminder for most of them of what they went through and how far they have come. Some people don't want to remember how the past because of painful situations. I'm sure he said it with a straight face because that's how the elderly folks talk. They don't care what they say or who they say what to. There have been a whole lot of people talking about the world ending in 2012, and he's just repeating what he heard and read to comment on hair. No

Be you and do you and forget about the old man. He's living his life and trying to make everyone miserable because he is. Next time he makes a comment, and although you ignore him, he keeps pressing, tell him "Enough of your lies, garbage and trash. I don't receive anything you have to say." Don't let him get hold of your spirit and crush it. They are people designed to do just that. They will make you feel like you are worthless if you allow them.

Hold your head up high and work your natural because not everyone can. People have criticized our people for years -- butt too big, large lips, big noses, hair too coarse, etc.

This is the year of conquest!! Let no one or nothing stand in your way of what you must accomplish in your dreams and desires by any means necessary. queen

Here is a great article on Natural hair ... http://www.sugahoney.com/2008/08/oh-my-nappy-hair.html

Here is an article from Naturallycurly.com on the history of our hair http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/kinky-hair-type-4/a-look-back-at-the-black-hair-story flower

Last edited by envizionj on 12th January 2011, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 12th January 2011, 9:08 pm

OK, as soon as I read your post I couldn't help but LMAO! Not at you of course, but at what the man said. Yeah, he's nuts!
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetface1118 12th January 2011, 9:40 pm

fanmnatirel wrote:yeah....i think he is crazy.....

Agreed!
sweetface1118
sweetface1118

http://public.fotki.com/wildjjjs/my-hair-journey/bc-immediately-

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Ashley 13th January 2011, 12:13 pm

I think he works here. Its a regular hospital cause my ggd didn't serve and there is no psych ward in part. But if there was I would kindly direct him to that part. Just passed him a few minutes ago and took y'all advice to ignore him even though he follow us to my great granddad appointment and kept talking. My granddad(bless his heart he has severe dementia) told him to shut his crazy ass up or he will for him. lol! Hopefully he got the message. Now I'm paranoid but just in case something happens I added extra HeHH and Cantu Leave in to our emergency kit.
Just Ashley
Just Ashley

http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next