CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you do for protein?

+8
CurlyChefRobin
naturallynola
ShortNSassie
creolebeauty1
DreamMerchant
Sequoia
ChrsLvsBks
Karyn
12 posters

Go down

what do you do for protein? Empty what do you do for protein?

Post by Karyn 11th January 2011, 5:30 pm

i will be getting serious with my hair care and dramatically increasing the protein i use on my hair due to excessive breakage. i plan to do the aphogee 2 step every six weeks, use aubrey organics gbp conditioner (mixed with honey and evoo) as a dc, use henna, kalpi tone, and amla bi-weekly affraid i'm not even sure if this will work, but this breakage has gotta stop.

so....what do you do for protein?
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

what do you do for protein? Empty Re: what do you do for protein?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th January 2011, 6:18 pm

I hope to find something to Karyn. I am going to add Braggs Liquid amino acids to my leave in conditioners and moisturizers. The breakage is constant and has been this way for too many weeks. I have used Nexxus Emergencee most recently.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 11th January 2011, 6:24 pm

I use Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor once or twice a month.
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 11th January 2011, 6:31 pm

What about henna? I think that helped my hair alot. I do the amla treatments 3 times a week. I leave it on a hour then pre-poo out. I think your regi will help alot. It is breaking from lack of protein or from excessive dryness?
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th January 2011, 6:34 pm

DreamMerchant wrote:What about henna? I think that helped my hair alot. I do the amla treatments 3 times a week. I leave it on a hour then pre-poo out. I think your regi will help alot. It is breaking from lack of protein or from excessive dryness?
Three times a week with amla, I'm curious, how do you prepare and use the amla? In addition, how do you wear your hair daily since you do them so frequently.

How often were/are you doing henna treatments. I know my issue is not excessive dryness per se but porosity which sometimes leads to dryness in the areas I believe are breaking.

TIA for any and all help.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 11th January 2011, 6:36 pm

I use the aphogee 2 step protein treatment every 2 weeks last wash day i ran out and i mixed it egg mayo to stretch it but i think my hair likes protein a lot Smile i use that Alkay narurals leave in and that has wheat protein as well
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 11th January 2011, 6:42 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I hope to find something to Karyn. I am going to add Braggs Liquid amino acids to my leave in conditioners and moisturizers. The breakage is constant and has been this way for too many weeks. I have used Nexxus Emergencee most recently.

how was the nexxus emergencee? i was looking at that on amazon, but decided to go for aphogee since it was cheaper Laughing

DreamMerchant wrote:What about henna? I think that helped my hair alot. I do the amla treatments 3 times a week. I leave it on a hour then pre-poo out. I think your regi will help alot. It is breaking from lack of protein or from excessive dryness?

i used to use henna monthly, but never noticed a difference other than color being deposited in my hair. i probably don't leave it on long enough (usually 3 hours), but i would never be able to sleep with it. how often do you henna and for how long? do you just mix the amla with water? my hair is well moisturized, so i guess it's just lack of protein. my hair is very fine and even just running my fingers through it (gently) , i will find those awful tiny pieces of hair coming out. i'm gonna start finger detangling as well to hopefully decrease the breakage.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 11th January 2011, 6:47 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:I use the aphogee 2 step protein treatment every 2 weeks last wash day i ran out and i mixed it egg mayo to stretch it but i think my hair likes protein a lot Smile i use that Alkay narurals leave in and that has wheat protein as well

every two weeks? :O you're transitioning right? do you think that using the 2 step that often has helped your hair and allowed you to easily manage your two textures? how do you keep your hair moisturized with so much protein?
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 11th January 2011, 7:24 pm

O i'm sorry i wash every 2 weeks but i do protein treatment every 6 weeks that's what i meant to type sorry lol ... but i do use a few products that have protein in them almost daily like that leave in spray and my eco styler black gel even the krystal one all those things have protein Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 11th January 2011, 7:39 pm

I add coconut milk and honey to my conditioners.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 11th January 2011, 10:44 pm

I am protein sensitive and don't do protein treatments. So, Bentonite clay, the ayurvedic powders, and henna are the treatments I do to strengthen my hair. I will be doing a henna this weekend. With the clay, I immediately feel my hair is stronger, yet the hair is extremely soft. Hard to explain b/c that sounds like an oxymoron. You just have to moisture deep condish after the treatment. I also prepoo with coconut oil (but I do that prior to every hair cleansing). I have never experienced any degree of dryness after any of these treatments. The ayurvedic herbs I use several ways. Most often, I make a paste (using a homemade hibiscus tea for the liq.). I massage my scalp with oils sometimes and when I don't want a protracted wash day, I cleanse with an ayurvedic co-wash that I mix. Routinely, I am not a co-washer. You might consider trying one of these options.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 12th January 2011, 12:10 am

I've been doing a dc with mayo, eggs and evoo. I mix the three with a little peppermint oil for the smell and to stimulate growth. I leave it on for about 45 mintues. Simple and cheap. I don't use heat (or the eggs will cook) and I'll be doing it every 4 weeks. My hair really likes protein.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 12th January 2011, 12:28 am

[quote="ChrsLvsBks"]
[font=Georgia][color=indigo]Three times a week with amla, I'm curious, how do you prepare and use the amla? In addition, how do you wear your hair daily since you do them so frequently.

How often were/are you doing henna treatments. I know my issue is not excessive dryness per se but porosity which sometimes leads to dryness in the areas I believe are breaking.

Your hair looks so lush and lovely in your pictures. It does not even look like you have any issues! I frequent only one Asian market because I cannot find the others. They only have Dabur Amla in the liquid and that is what I use. Yes, it has mineral oil but my hair does not seem to mind. I have been wearing my hair in twists for 8 weeks. I retwist every three days because massaging the amla into my scalp causes my twists to loosen near the scalp even though I braid them and then twist. So everyday I have the twists in an updo with a different headband to hide the days when it is fuzzy. As far as henna, I henna once a month. I use to use Jamila but I switched to Karishma because it has amla and several other herbs.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 13th January 2011, 11:39 am

Nexxus Keraphix. I also used Emergencee when I was relaxed/transitioning, but I am afraid that it would be protein overload for my hair. I dont really do anything damaging other than brushing/combing. . . but I did color some of my hair light brown when I chopped. I think that I'll use keraphix every two-three weeks or so as a preventative measure, and if I get breakage, I'll give emergencee a chance.
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th January 2011, 12:53 pm

Karyn wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:I hope to find something to Karyn. I am going to add Braggs Liquid amino acids to my leave in conditioners and moisturizers. The breakage is constant and has been this way for too many weeks. I have used Nexxus Emergencee most recently.

how was the nexxus emergencee? i was looking at that on amazon, but decided to go for aphogee since it was cheaper Laughing

i used to use henna monthly, but never noticed a difference other than color being deposited in my hair. i probably don't leave it on long enough (usually 3 hours), but i would never be able to sleep with it. how often do you henna and for how long? do you just mix the amla with water? my hair is well moisturized, so i guess it's just lack of protein. my hair is very fine and even just running my fingers through it (gently) , i will find those awful tiny pieces of hair coming out. i'm gonna start finger detangling as well to hopefully decrease the breakage.

I liked the Nexxus Emergencee. I did feel my hair felt stronger but I still experienced breakage. I am going to continue to use it and/or Joie Reconstructor every other week. I am going to henna every week also.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 14th January 2011, 3:05 pm

I have 2 different conditioners that are light proteins and I alternate the use of them with a moisturizing conditioner. So I don't use protein too often. And I only DC 1X a week. I haven't noticed much breakage, if any since I BCed 6 months ago. It's funny 'cause when I was relaxed my hair loooved protein and now it seems like I don't need it much.
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Choctaw 14th January 2011, 3:27 pm

I add eggs to ayurvedic pastes for 2x week treatments
Infusium 23 is one of ingredients in my spritz bottle
rotate hemp seed oil to seal ends, oil scalp
alternate protein conditioners with moisturizing conditioners for co-wash

Choctaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Ashley 14th January 2011, 4:10 pm

I just dc with eggs and olive oil. Sometimes I mix Mane and tail with it. I do that once a month usually after shampooing.
Just Ashley
Just Ashley

http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down