CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein!

5 posters

Go down

Protein! Empty Protein!

Post by Curliana 13th October 2010, 6:24 pm

Umm...I've been reading and hearing that too much protein can be detrimental to thicker, coarser natural hair (like mine). i tried to do a little research and found that protein is usually used to repair damaged hair because it fills in gaps in the hair.

My concern is that my all time FAVORITE line is Giovanni Smooth as Silk and the label says it contains vegetable protein. I use that once a week to condition and I plan on doing monthly or bimonthly protein treatments.

Is that too much protein for my hair? scratch
Curliana
Curliana

Back to top Go down

Protein! Empty Re: Protein!

Post by Lynnieluve 13th October 2010, 6:26 pm

Check out this article. It has great info about protein vs moisture.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curliana 13th October 2010, 6:27 pm

As usual...Lynnieluve to the rescue!!! Thanks Smile
Curliana
Curliana

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 13th October 2010, 7:56 pm

Hi, ladies! I've been searching the CN forums looking for some help because I believe my hair is over-conditioned and needs protein. It's extremely soft and no styler seems to have enough hold to lock in my curl definition.

I recently started using Suave Naturals Almond and Shea Butter conditioner because, over the summer, my hair seemed so dry and it seems to have worked better than I expected. So I began deep conditioning with ORS Hair Mayo. I thought the hair mayo would help balance the moisture but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any suggestions...please?!?!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th October 2010, 8:02 pm

Takeya wrote:Hi, ladies! I've been searching the CN forums looking for some help because I believe my hair is over-conditioned and needs protein. It's extremely soft and no styler seems to have enough hold to lock in my curl definition.

I recently started using Suave Naturals Almond and Shea Butter conditioner because, over the summer, my hair seemed so dry and it seems to have worked better than I expected. So I began deep conditioning with ORS Hair Mayo. I thought the hair mayo would help balance the moisture but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any suggestions...please?!?!

Check out the article above.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 13th October 2010, 8:09 pm

Thanks, Lynnieluve, for the article! I read through it but I guess I'm looking for product recommendations as well since I'm pretty convinced, even moreso after reading the article, that my hair is over-conditioned.

Should I just stick with the Hair Mayo since it contains some protein or is there another protein treatment you'd recommend? Thanks!
Takeya
Takeya

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th October 2010, 8:41 pm

Takeya wrote:Thanks, Lynnieluve, for the article! I read through it but I guess I'm looking for product recommendations as well since I'm pretty convinced, even moreso after reading the article, that my hair is over-conditioned.

Should I just stick with the Hair Mayo since it contains some protein or is there another protein treatment you'd recommend? Thanks!

Currently I am using Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. I've only used it twice so I want to use it a few more times before I decided if it is working. Nexxus Emergencee was mentioned on ChrsLvsBks CSJ so I will be trying it next.

Trying to get the perfect balance (moisture vs protein) is really tricky. I am still trying to figure it out. Neutral
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 13th October 2010, 10:09 pm

Woo-hoo! I had a close call with protein today. I'm protein-sensitive, so my hair is crunchier than Frosted Flakes when I absorb too much of it. I just tried a no-frizz serum and my hair turned to a haystack! I immediately washed it out and deep-conditioned. I haven't had a close call like this since I had a hair nightmare with Mane N Tail a few years ago. I read the article and there are some good and helpful points in it. Thanks for posting it!
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Curliana 13th October 2010, 10:21 pm

I think my hair absolutely LOVES protein. My hair looks its best when I use Giovanni Smooth as silk and felt soft and smooth when I used the Giovanni protein treatment. i just don't want it to equal protein overkill. I guess I'm going to have to do my best at monitoring my hair like the article suggested.

Does anyone else have hair that loves protein?
Curliana
Curliana

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 14th October 2010, 10:08 am

I think I'll try the Aubrey Organics! I've only tried the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and I liked it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Takeya
Takeya

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 14th October 2010, 11:52 am

Lynn, thanks for the link. That blogger has other great tips for Black Hair Care- I'm adding to my favs! Very Happy
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down