CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

+11
clarity33
afrolicious
freckledmom4
envizionj
poeticlyspkng
courtface
blkbeauty2010
Cupcake415
1FlySista
popsbaby
misskris
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair??? Empty Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 5:52 pm

Just got my Jamila Henna and want to know if I need to wash my hair first or put it on as my hair is? I feel like if I out it in as is the henna will not cling to my hair well enough??? Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!! confused
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair??? Empty Re: Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

Post by popsbaby 1st December 2010, 5:54 pm

Yes, you need to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, preferably one with SLS.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair??? Empty Re: Do you Henna on fresh clean hair or old dirty hair???

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 6:12 pm

SLS??? what's that? any suggestions to some of those shampoos? Thanks. Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 1st December 2010, 6:46 pm

misskris wrote:SLS??? what's that? any suggestions to some of those shampoos? Thanks. Smile

SLS = Sodium Lauryl Sulphate/Sodium Laureth Sulphate.
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 1st December 2010, 6:48 pm

misskris wrote:Just got my Jamila Henna and want to know if I need to wash my hair first or put it on as my hair is? I feel like if I out it in as is the henna will not cling to my hair well enough??? Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!! confused

Hey I just received my Jamila Henna as well (Yay us!) and I'm planning on applying it this weekend. Question: What do you plan on mixing your Henna with? (e.g. Lemon Juice, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Spring Water, Coconut milk, Yogurt, oils, etc.?)
1FlySista
1FlySista

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 7:09 pm

Hey flysista! I dunno yet. I don't think I am gonna mess with the lemon juice. I feel like that is way to acidic. I may go with the green tea, maybe even some all natural yogurt. Or just evoo. I dunno!!!! LOL So many decisions!!! But I am kinda interested in doing a final rinse with ACV to close the cuticle. What r u mixing yours with??? confused
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 1st December 2010, 8:15 pm

Not sure yet, I was asking you to try to gain some direction. I do like the green tea inclusion though. I'm up in the air about it right now.
1FlySista
1FlySista

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 8:17 pm

I think I'll do the tea since I plan on using oil to seal my hair. I'll keep it simple this time around. Razz
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 1st December 2010, 9:54 pm

1FlySista wrote:
misskris wrote:Just got my Jamila Henna and want to know if I need to wash my hair first or put it on as my hair is? I feel like if I out it in as is the henna will not cling to my hair well enough??? Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!! confused

Hey I just received my Jamila Henna as well (Yay us!) and I'm planning on applying it this weekend. Question: What do you plan on mixing your Henna with? (e.g. Lemon Juice, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Spring Water, Coconut milk, Yogurt, oils, etc.?)

OMG I just got mine in the mail on Monday and plan to do it this weekend... Glad u started this post because I need help as well! bounce
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 10:23 pm

YAY!! Smile Cupcake do you know what you're gonna mix yours with??
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 1st December 2010, 10:50 pm

Henna in my hair as i type woot! . I used warm water and shortly before i applied it i mixed in a couple of tablespoons if the thick "stuff" that floats to the top when you refrigerate coconut milk and some evoo. This is my second treatment (I fell in love with it two weeks ago after the first treatment) and am planning bi weekly treatments at least to the end of January. Good luck on your mixin ladies
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 1st December 2010, 10:53 pm

misskris wrote:SLS??? what's that? any suggestions to some of those shampoos? Thanks. Smile
most shampoos in drugstores have SLS in it. I used some leftover Aveeno and will use up all my leftover shampoos from my pre ingredient reading days. Pantene, Aveeno, most Suave, VO5 its usuallly the third or fourth ingredient listed. Hope that helps
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 11:21 pm

Thanks for the info blkbeauty. I'll check the poos I have. I'll probably henna Saturday. i can't wait!!!!! I hope it comes out good!! woot!
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 2nd December 2010, 1:30 am

misskris wrote:YAY!! Smile Cupcake do you know what you're gonna mix yours with??

Lol.... I'm NOT sure yet....

I want to mix in HE-Hello Hydration, honey, and a lil bit of Grape-seed oil....

What about u Miss Kris??? Laughing
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by courtface 2nd December 2010, 5:23 am

Hi ladies. I just had my 2nd henna experience last week. If i could be any help to you i would say don't use the lemon juice. Its very acidic and made my hair quite dry after the treatment, even after using oils. This time i clarified with pantene relaxed and natural, used chamomile tea and EVOO (in the mix)then DC'd with LeKair cholesterol w/ shea and the results were great. I hope that can help. Happy henna-ing

courtface

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 10:28 am

Hi courtface!! that's what i feel about the lemon so i'm not gonna use that. Plus it seems that i remember back in the day white girls used to use lemon to lighten their hair!!! so that with the henna, i'm scared my hair would come out too light!!! lol I also have the LeKair w/shea and when i DCd the other week i used that but i mixed in honey and evoo--loved it!!! so i'll probably DC the same way this weekend.

@ cupcake, i think i'll mix mine with tea, either green, black or both. Maybe a squirt of some conditioner. So far i like my giovanni smooth as silk.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 2nd December 2010, 10:36 am

I have been using henna for a while. I like my hair to be as red as possible so I mix it with Red Zinger tea by Celestial Seasonings and a little raw honey. Some people add oil to their mix, but oil does dull the color deposit.
It would take a whole lot of lemon juice in your henna to lighten the hair, so no worries. But the acid will help with the color deposit.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 10:49 am

@ popsbaby--Really???? about the lemon's acid. do you use lemon when u henna??? i am like you, i want the most color possible from my henna. i don't think i have red zinger but i do have some kinda red tea....let me go look.....lol............i have raspberry zinger and then black cherry tea. Maybe the raspberry would work like the red zinger?? I think the cherry would be dark.

As for the acid releasing the color, what if I used apple cider vinegar? I read where some people use that too.
confused
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 2nd December 2010, 12:13 pm

I've used all of those things, including Raspberry Zinger. The "Zinger" teas are not as acidic as a green or black tea, so I always add lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. I prefer lemon juice because the vinegar smell is gross, but I'll deal with it if I have to. The key is to condition, condition, condition after, and moisture and seal really well.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 12:16 pm

So do you mind giving me a recipe that you might use when you henna??
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 2nd December 2010, 12:35 pm

Sure!
One package (100 g)of henna. I use Dark of the Moon from Mehandi.com.
One cup of tea. 4 Red Zinger tea bags steeped in one cup of water
One teaspoon of lemon juice (or ACV).
One tablespoon of honey

I make my mixture 2 days in advance and pop it right in the freezer. The ice particles actually help release the dye. I thaw the mixture when I am ready to use.

*Very Important* Make sure the you finger detangle your hair before you henna or you will end up with a dangled, matted hot mess on your head.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 12:46 pm

Thanks!!! that sounds like a keeper. Very Happy I think this is the one I will try Saturday.

How long can you freeze henna for and it still be good???
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 2nd December 2010, 12:57 pm

popsbaby wrote:Sure!
One package (100 g)of henna. I use Dark of the Moon from Mehandi.com.
One cup of tea. 4 Red Zinger tea bags steeped in one cup of water
One teaspoon of lemon juice (or ACV).
One tablespoon of honey

I make my mixture 2 days in advance and pop it right in the freezer. The ice particles actually help release the dye. I thaw the mixture when I am ready to use.

*Very Important* Make sure the you finger detangle your hair before you henna or you will end up with a dangled, matted hot mess on your head.

Great recipe! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Smile
1FlySista
1FlySista

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 2nd December 2010, 1:14 pm

I've never left it in the freezer for more than 2 months.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 1:18 pm

oh ok. Not that I would need to but I just wanted to know,...just in case! I wrote down the recipe so I won't forget it!! Thanks again!! Razz
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next