CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edges and my kitchen....lol

5 posters

Go down

Edges and my kitchen....lol Empty Edges and my kitchen....lol

Post by Nolablu 9th January 2011, 5:23 am

Ok so once again I have decided to go natural. My last relaxer was in august. However prior to that when I did get relaxers it was always sporadic. I never really needed them, I just liked always wearing my hair straight. Anyway this is my problem: I have a fairly nice grade of hair (only used mild relaxers for medium hair) and my hair is not very coarse but for some reason my edges and my kitchen are unruly! They are extremely tightly curled and the only thing that works to lay them flat is a little water and some gel. I recently started using the raw shea butter and that works also. Also just plain water works, I just tie a scarf and leave it on til i get where I'm going. But what bothers me is that past my edges, the 5 months of new growth is a different texture than my edges and kitchen. My edges and kitchen seem rough even though they really are not and once I take my scarf off, they appear wavy like the rest of the new growth. I don't know if this is something that happens during transitioning and will eventually go away or if I'm doomed with unruly edges and kitchen. Lol. I live in Texas and any humidity reverses any work done by the scarf.My hair looks like a tight curl from the root but actually waves out. In fact it looks just like Nikki's hair but with rougher edges. Also where can I go to find out my hair type and texture? I see in some posts people saying they have 4a hair or whatever. I need a lil feed back yall.
Nolablu
Nolablu

Back to top Go down

Edges and my kitchen....lol Empty Re: Edges and my kitchen....lol

Post by LaToya28 9th January 2011, 11:32 am

That "rougher" hair is your natural texture so if you really want to go natural then get used to it honey! lol The way that most transitioners disguise the new growth is by wearing textured styles like rollersets, braidouts and twistouts. Once you start experimenting with new styles you'll be able to manage that new growth like a pro. Good luck to ya!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 9th January 2011, 10:49 pm

your hair wont be slick back unless it's Gel, water or shea butter accept the kitchen and freeze its your hair
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 9th January 2011, 10:53 pm

also, there is no such thing as 'nice grade of hair'.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th January 2011, 1:08 am

@Nolablu...
idk everybody's hair is different, but u could try googling hair type on google or whatever for natural hair and see if that helps....u may have to explore around a little bit, but that helps too b/c u may find something else that interests u about natural hair; good luck Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 10th January 2011, 1:08 am

When I first went natural, I tried to figure out what to do about my edges. My kitchen kind of facinated me, because I fell in love with my coilies as I called them. My sister called them naps, but I didn't care because I liked them. As my edge grew in, they would stand out and be 'unruly'. Someone asked my how I was going to control them. I realized I didn't have to control my edges or my kitchen.

My hair won't lay flat, my edges curl, coil and zig zag. Sometimes I lightly tie them down with a little of my butter mix and a satin scarf for a style but otherwise I embrace them. The roughness will pass as you learn to take care of the new growth. Just go easy on them, even though they feel a bit rough, edges require gentle handling. That hair is fragile and exposed to a lot of wear and tear.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down