CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Results with Jamila

+7
Tiffy2
ladygogohot
AimWard
CarlaAR
envizionj
Niqui36
Amy V.
11 posters

Go down

Results with Jamila Empty Results with Jamila

Post by Amy V. 8th January 2011, 12:09 am

So I ordered Jamila summer crop 2010 henna from butters n bars and I am psyched for it to come in the mail so I can do my first treatment! But I also ordered amla powder to mix so that I don't get too much red in my hair. My question(s) for you ladies:What have been YOUR color results with the Jamila? I'm considering keeping the amla out of the mix so that I do get the reddish color. My tentative plan is to mix just the henna with green tea, that's it... So please share your Jamila experiences! *NOTE* - I was inspired by Khloe Kardashian's new red hair color LOL
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Results with Jamila Empty Re: Results with Jamila

Post by Niqui36 8th January 2011, 10:20 am

I have Jamila from that same crop. I love the results of the Jamila. It's hard though to say what kind of color you will get because when I use it in my hair, I get more of a cherry reddish tint. But when I use it in my daughters hair (and I thought we had the same brownish hair color) she got more of a coppery color red. Now it did darken in her hair over time and it didn't stay that coppery color. But I thought it was cute while it lasted. The last few times I've done henna, I just used green tea too. Nice and simple!
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 8th January 2011, 7:53 pm

Amy V, the Amla is just to help your curl pattern stay that way and not loosen. I find that Amla does not tone down the Jamila 2009 color. I still get the brassy, penny coin color on my grays although I have added cloves, Black strap molasses, Brahmi powder (thyme leaves), and Maka powder to my green tea mix. sunny

Your avatar shows your hair as dark brown/black so I don't believe you will see a lot of red except for maybe while standing in the sun. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 8th January 2011, 8:07 pm

envizionj wrote:Amy V, the Amla is just to help your curl pattern stay that way and not loosen. I find that Amla does not tone down the Jamila 2009 color. I still get the brassy, penny coin color on my grays although I have added cloves, Black strap molasses, Brahmi powder (thyme leaves), and Maka powder to my green tea mix. sunny

Your avatar shows your hair as dark brown/black so I don't believe you will see a lot of red except for maybe while standing in the sun. flower

Did th black strap molasses, etc darken the effect of the henna? I've mixed my henna with hibiscus tea (purchased the leaves in bulk) and it made my hair a little redder with the Jamila 2009...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 8th January 2011, 8:36 pm

CarlaAR, no the molasses and other products did not darken my hair, but the mix gave me great moisture and the goodness of the Ayurvedic conditioning. sunny

You really don't have to purchase hibiscus leaves in bulk. You may get it at an Asian store in your area. Hibiscus is also referred to as sorrel. I can get a package of it for $1-$1.99 in the Asian neighborhood fruit and vegetable stores. I've used hibiscus/sorrel in my mix and it did make the Jamila 2009 redder (strawberry gray hair), but also left my hair very dry since it is so acidic. I sometimes drink sorrel/hibiscus drink, and add ginger, cinnamon and sugar to the mix after straining the flowers. It is somewhat bitter to the palate. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 8th January 2011, 9:01 pm

envizionj wrote: CarlaAR, no the molasses and other products did not darken my hair, but the mix gave me great moisture and the goodness of the Ayurvedic conditioning. sunny

You really don't have to purchase hibiscus leaves in bulk. You may get it at an Asian store in your area. Hibiscus is also referred to as sorrel. I can get a package of it for $1-$1.99 in the Asian neighborhood fruit and vegetable stores. I've used hibiscus/sorrel in my mix and it did make the Jamila 2009 redder (strawberry gray hair), but also left my hair very dry since it is so acidic. I sometimes drink sorrel/hibiscus drink, and add ginger, cinnamon and sugar to the mix after straining the flowers. It is somewhat bitter to the palate. flower

By "bulk" I meant purchased in small, non-packaged (organic) quantities at my local co-op which is easiest and most accessible to me. I haven't tried an Asian store yet. I sometimes make hibiscus tea to drink (plain, unsweetened) so I usually have some on hand.

I do mix molasses with my deep conditioner mixes and I love it that way!
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 8th January 2011, 10:06 pm

envizionj wrote:Amy V, the Amla is just to help your curl pattern stay that way and not loosen. I find that Amla does not tone down the Jamila 2009 color. I still get the brassy, penny coin color on my grays although I have added cloves, Black strap molasses, Brahmi powder (thyme leaves), and Maka powder to my green tea mix. sunny

Oh! Well I guess I didn't know as much as I thought LOL... Thanks for letting me know! I guess I'll just do the henna without the Amla and see how it turns out. I don't really have specific expectations now, I'll just be happy with whatever color I get :-) ... Unless it turns out orange :-/
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 9th January 2011, 3:32 am

I've used the Jamila 2009 as well as the 2010 crop in the foil pouch (Jamila is the only brand I use). I always get a reddish hue on my black hair, and the few strands of grey I have always turn a VERY bright orangey red. If I didn't have greys I would just henna and leave it be, but the orangey red color is NOT cute (IMO) so I always use indigo on top (see my avatar picture). The indigo fades and about 3 weeks later greys that were initially reddish orange turn into a nice auburn. I don't mix any bells or whistles into my henna (I've tried amla and I noticed no difference in softness of hair or color). I only use room temp, distilled water, a hand squeezed half of lemon and I let the dye release for about 12 hours at room temp.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 9th January 2011, 7:28 pm

AimWard, your indigo should not fade so quickly.Shocked What are the steps you do before applying your indigo? Remember you should not condition the hair before applying indigo or it won't penetrate the hair follicle thoroughly. Also, adding a teaspoon of salt to the mix is usually the procedure and then apply right away. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 9th January 2011, 10:01 pm

envizionj wrote:AimWard, your indigo should not fade so quickly.Shocked What are the steps you do before applying your indigo? Remember you should not condition the hair before applying indigo or it won't penetrate the hair follicle thoroughly. Also, adding a teaspoon of salt to the mix is usually the procedure and then apply right away. flower

I wash the henna out with either Jessicurl cleansing cream or shea mositure Raw shea restorative shampoo. I do not condition, I move straight to the indigo. I mix my indigo with distilled water and leave on for 1 -2 hours rinse out and deep condition with heat. I've tried mixing in salt and that does not prolong the life of the indigo in my hair. My non grey hair (which is 98% of my head) tends to hold onto to indigo well, but the hennaed greys, not so much. 3 weeks is when the fading is noticeable, by week five, the indigo seems to have completely disappeared.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 10th January 2011, 4:05 am

AimWard wrote:
envizionj wrote:AimWard, your indigo should not fade so quickly.Shocked What are the steps you do before applying your indigo? Remember you should not condition the hair before applying indigo or it won't penetrate the hair follicle thoroughly. Also, adding a teaspoon of salt to the mix is usually the procedure and then apply right away. flower

I wash the henna out with either Jessicurl cleansing cream or shea mositure Raw shea restorative shampoo. I do not condition, I move straight to the indigo. I mix my indigo with distilled water and leave on for 1 -2 hours rinse out and deep condition with heat. I've tried mixing in salt and that does not prolong the life of the indigo in my hair. My non grey hair (which is 98% of my head) tends to hold onto to indigo well, but the hennaed greys, not so much. 3 weeks is when the fading is noticeable, by week five, the indigo seems to have completely disappeared.

The Jessicurl cleansing cream and the shea moisture raw shea conditioner may be indigo blockers since they contain heavy oils. I have used VO5 shampoo in the past and my Indigo had held up until my next treatment which was 4 -5 weeks later. The gray I saw was the new growth. sunny

Let's examine the ingredients for both shampoos:

Jessicurl cleansing cream contains:

Water, Decyl Polyglucose, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Avocado Oil, C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrolized Oat Flour, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynl Butylcarboamate, Fragrance.

The shea butter shea moisture Raw shea restorative shampoo contains:
De-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter) (denotes certified organic ingredients), aloe vera leaf juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5, rosemary extract, sea kelp extract, vitamin E, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract.

I use raw beige shea butter daily mixed with a whole lot of stuff and the butter is heavy, but it defines my curls. Shea butter would definitely prevent indigo uptake since it coats and protects the hair. Avocado oil is similar to olive oil, which is another heavy oil. May I suggest you try using one of those cheap bottles of shampoo like VO5 to wash out the henna before indigo and see if there is a difference. Save your expensive shampoos for a quick shampoo after applying the indigo.

Here is information from the Henna For Hair Forum ...

"Fri, 2010-05-14 09:39
ACWN
User offline. Last seen 1 day 3 hours ago. Offline
Re: Resistant gray (now orange) roots

Give Jen's suggestion a try, I think you'll get better color.

Indigo doesnt like fats or oils, so it doesnt like conditioner. Dont tell me how an indigo gloss works.

Wait... Did you turn the indigo in just liquid??? No wonder you didnt get much color!! You're suppose to mix the indigo into a PASTE! It should be a little on the thin side, but its suppose to be a paste!

http://www.forums.hennapage.com/node/81
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 10th January 2011, 2:35 pm

@Envizionj...question for u. I am interested in hibiscus powder to color my hair ... i use henna alot and i love the color i get, but i want to try hibiscus flower/sorrel. When u say i can get it @ the asian market..do u mean the actual dry sorrel because that i all i see. If so, how do u get the color from it. do u boil it and use the water as a rinse or mix it with my henna.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 10th January 2011, 3:34 pm

Yes, the actual dry hibiscus/sorrel leaves in a package. You would boil the leaves in water and let it cool, then strain and add the henna. Go the the Butters-N-Bars site to see an instructional video http://butters-n-bars.com/bundlesandadd_ins.html . Search for the following text and follow the link within: "Color results will have a darker reddish brown(burgundy) undertones instead of reddish/auburn highlights and tone given by henna mixed without hibiscus. Hibiscus also coats hair strands for added color and protection. Click here to see how it's done:-) to view just move your mouse to the right handside and click."

Ladygogohut, may I suggest that you DO NOT USE LEMON JUICE. Use spring water since the hibiscus is acidic by itself.sunny

No need to apologize regarding questions. That is why this forum and we all are here. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 10th January 2011, 6:25 pm

I ordered a 6 months supply of summer crop baq henna from butters-n-bars. and it always give me a reddish tint,but i want a deep red color to my hair. I mix my henna with hibiscus flowers boiled in water(to make a dye),honey and lavender EO.
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 11th January 2011, 2:53 am

envizionj wrote:
AimWard wrote:

The Jessicurl cleansing cream and the shea moisture raw shea conditioner may be indigo blockers since they contain heavy oils. I have used VO5 shampoo in the past and my Indigo had held up until my next treatment which was 4 -5 weeks later. The gray I saw was the new growth. sunny

Water, Decyl Polyglucose, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Avocado Oil, C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrolized Oat Flour, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynl Butylcarboamate, Fragrance.

De-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter) (denotes certified organic ingredients), aloe vera leaf juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5, rosemary extract, sea kelp extract, vitamin E, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract.

I use raw beige shea butter daily mixed with a whole lot of stuff and the butter is heavy, but it defines my curls. Shea butter would definitely prevent indigo uptake since it coats and protects the hair. Avocado oil is similar to olive oil, which is another heavy oil. May I suggest you try using one of those cheap bottles of shampoo like VO5 to wash out the henna before indigo and see if there is a difference. Save your expensive shampoos for a quick shampoo after applying the indigo.

ACWN

Indigo doesnt like fats or oils, so it doesnt like conditioner. Dont tell me how an indigo gloss works.

Wait... Did you turn the indigo in just liquid??? No wonder you didnt get much color!! You're suppose to mix the indigo into a PASTE! It should be a little on the thin side, but its suppose to be a paste!

flower

Thanks for the info. The culprit must be the shea butter. Not only is it in the poo's (as you pointed out) but I use unrefined raw shea 2 to 3 times a week for scrunching out crunch, sealing my ends, etc. WoW, I had no idea. I just thought my grays (which are much more coarse and low porosity compared to the rest of my hair) was simply resistant to the indigo. I'm due for another treatment in about 2 weeks, so I'll be definitely try your advice.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 11th January 2011, 3:14 am

I've been using Jamila Henna monthly since last July. The first application gave my hair a coppery "orangy" glow with my gray hairs turning the color of a penny. However, over time, the color is more of a cherry cola color...I LOVE IT. I use Amla as well to enhance the curl pattern, because Henna loosens my curls, but I have not noticed it to make my hair darker. I will be purchasing some Hibiscus Flower Powder to add to my next mix to see if it enhances the reddish color.
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 11th January 2011, 6:06 am

AimWard wrote:
envizionj wrote:
AimWard wrote:

ACWN

flower

Thanks for the info. The culprit must be the shea butter. Not only is it in the poo's (as you pointed out) but I use unrefined raw shea 2 to 3 times a week for scrunching out crunch, sealing my ends, etc. WoW, I had no idea. I just thought my grays (which are much more coarse and low porosity compared to the rest of my hair) was simply resistant to the indigo. I'm due for another treatment in about 2 weeks, so I'll be definitely try your advice.
AimWard, please let me know your results. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 11th January 2011, 11:50 am

@Envisionj...Thank you!! everything is clear to me now. I am a Henna head, actually i love all the Indian hair products and have gotten some great results with them. I am now trying to learn how to make my own herbal oils to incorporate in my regime.

Thank you!!
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 22nd March 2011, 3:38 pm

envizionj wrote:
AimWard, please let me know your results. flower
Thanks for the info about the Shea Butter. I washed my henna out with Kinky Curly Come Clean and what do you know, the indigo did not fade as much. I'm @ 6 weeks since my last henna/indigo. I have a few auburn strands here and there but for the most part the indigo stuck.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocBeauty 23rd March 2011, 10:24 pm

I henned this past weekend, using something other than Jamila. I was going to use it the next time but don't want a change my hair color. The henna I used had it a light brown (my hair is dirty brown) but when I washed after the henna application, it went back to the regular color with my gray being copper coloer. I really liked that. It thickened my hair and gave it shine as well. I really like that to. I will henna again, but wonder about using Jamila. The drastic color change concerns me.

ChocBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 29th March 2011, 3:55 am

Whenever I do Henna, I've always used the Jamila Henna and have had nothing but great results from it! I really need to get back going with Henna'ing once a month again, because I slacked off during the winter months. Guess I'll make it a mission to get back going in April! But yes, Jamila is great! It gave my hair sort of an auburn-like tint to it that I loved! I've gotta get back going! I really want to Henna twice a month, but I always would end up doing it just once! Somebody needs to start a Henna challlenge! Lol! I got to step it up because that stuff was great!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 29th March 2011, 10:30 am

I henna'd with Jamila Friday-Saturday ... today I'm REALLY starting to see why people henna. I'm loving it - my hair does feel soft (once I DC'd for the 2nd time), I have a hint of color - I thought my natural color was too dark for the color to show, but I can see little glimpses of red/auburn, but nothing "artificial" looking. I have to confess that I have 10 boxes of Jamila in my freezer right now. Actually, I stand corrected, 9.5 - I used half a box for my hair (I only need 50 grams) -check out my "Hennacan" post if you'd like.

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down