CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Heat and damaging curl pattern....

+14
BajanPrincess82
nicnan
LivinandLovin
CarlaAR
Lynnieluve
summerbreeze76
kulem
Indigo.Blue
krissyc39
Ambitious_Tiff
rayray19
creolebeauty1
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
shauntielavette
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Using Heat and damaging curl pattern.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Using Heat and damaging curl pattern....

Post by BajanPrincess82 10th January 2011, 2:54 pm

I have never had a relaxer, but I used to flat iron a lot and I have experienced heat damage. I learned from my mistakes though! My heat damage came from not always using a heat protectant, and flat-ironing too much and too often (doing 'touch-ups' in the front of my hair really killed my curl pattern there for a while). Now I only flat-iron my hair once or twice a year and I use a heat protectant. Back in the day I didn't know/care about using a heat protectant and I sure did pay the price!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Using Heat and damaging curl pattern.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Using Heat and damaging curl pattern....

Post by summerbreeze76 10th January 2011, 3:39 pm

nicnan wrote:Well Ladies, I flat ironed two weeks ago and experienced heat damage. My hair is not the same, I've had about two inches cut off, yet my curls have not returned. REALLY upset, I made need to have more cut off. I have applied protein, and co-washing everyday since all this happened. Evil or Very Mad

Im sorry that your hair got damaged. I can understand how devastating that is for you. I flat ironed for the first time on Saturday and i am praying that my curl pattern returns.

Did you get yours done professionally? or do it yourself? WHat about a heat protectant?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th January 2011, 6:26 pm

@ shauntielavett

um, i've never heard of this ( alot of things i never heard of until i came to this forum) maybe alot of ppl use too high set heat when flat ironing their hair and actually burn their hair, but i, myself, have flat ironed and i have always been able to get my curl pattern back WITHOUT problem....idk anybody that wanna do whatever to their hair (not including harsh chemicals, relaxers, etc) should just do what they wanna do b/c everybody has their own preference of what "natural hair" is and what u can and cannot do

Back to top Go down

Post by nicnan 10th January 2011, 7:45 pm

I'm blaming myself. I researched everything but I wanted to see my growth, I needed a trim and the only appointment I could get was at a
dominican salon. My fault, way too much heat. Yesterday I tried a one strand twist like my avatar, and I still have pieces that won't twist, just straight strands. I might need to cut more off.
nicnan
nicnan

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 10th January 2011, 8:11 pm

I think everyone's hair reacts to things differently. I have no issues with what anyone chooses to do with their hair. If you can straighten and go back and forth that's great. Just like some people's hair could grow long with relaxers and be ok and some couldn't, it's the same with heat. Everyone's hair cannot tolerate it. I know plenty of naturals that straighten and their hair is just fine. Personally, I experienced damage simply from a blow dryer (with a comb attachment) on high heat. And since my hair is too thick to straighten on low, I'm just avoiding heat in my head. I don't think using heat is bad. But for some people, including myself, it can cause damage, so their feelings shouldn't be negated.

Ultimately like everything with hair, I think everyone should just do what works for them. Regardless of what everyone else says.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 10th January 2011, 8:26 pm

I don't think flatironing your hair is bad as long as your not doing it excessively. I was flatironing like every week and blowdrying every week and y ends are heatdamaged. Now I'm trying to bring my hair back to life I've only flatironed once in the last 9months and I can definitely tell the ends are damaged because of how thin and brittle they are.

Just make sure your using a heat protectant and not doing it excessively and you should be fine Smile
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by shauntielavette 10th January 2011, 9:57 pm

Any ideas for a heat protectant ladies?! What do you guys use?
shauntielavette
shauntielavette

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th January 2011, 12:24 am

Lots of people use and have success with Silk Elements Olive Oil Heat Protectant Spray
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 11th January 2011, 12:40 am

I also heard some people rant about the Tresume silk elements i believe
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by WavyQ 11th January 2011, 5:30 pm

I transitioned from 11/09-4/10 by getting my hair flat ironed and/or pressed, 5/09-8/09 by doing twistouts...
I BC'd the first weekend in August and the front of my hair was straight. I was devestated. My stylist encouraged me to up my moisture levels by co-washing, deep conditioning weekly, and to avoid pressing for a year. She assured me that my hair would improve in a couple of months and she was right.
I just pressed my hair 2 weeks ago for a trim and length check. I couldn't holdout any longer. I plan to wash it and use Aphogee 2 step Protein Treatment followed by Mixed Chicks Deep conditioner. Then I'll rodset it for 2 weeks.

WavyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 11th January 2011, 5:46 pm

I straightened my hair about a month ago using IC Fantasia Hair Polisher Heat Proctectant. It really seemed to protect my hair and give it a nice shine.

I used Africa's Best Hair Mayo as a protein treatment before I washed my hair after wearing straight and my hair reverted back completely. The whole time I wore my hair straight, I only used heat twice after the initial straightening. I love my curls but going straight for a little while was a nice change.
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinandLovin 11th January 2011, 11:12 pm

I use IC Fantasia Hair Polisher, It seems to work fine since I've never had a problem. That might just be my hair though because I got it straightened at a salon once with no protectant and I still didn't have any damage.

LivinandLovin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2