CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions

5 posters

Go down

Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions Empty Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions

Post by ladydayvintage 2nd January 2011, 11:15 pm

I need help with a few things, I've been here reading for 2 days and I'm still confused LOL

1. Haircut, I've not had one in about 2 years, so I need one. My question is this, can it be cut curly or do I have to get it straightened. Also style, how do I determine the style to cut it, or just a regular even cut? I'm not really talking about a full cut, but more or less just an even trim.

2. Hair color. I have a bit of gray that I'm not ready to surrender to yet, but the products seem to strip the color quickly. I used Garnier black cherry, and now my hair after a month is copper?

3. I just stocked up on a bunch of products because of a sale, and I'm not real pleased with the results, how do I find out about mixing them with perhaps other products for better results.

4. Castor Oil, I see that mentioned here often, can someone tell me a brand or type, also the coconut oil.

I think that's it for now LOL.

ladydayvintage

Back to top Go down

Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions Empty Re: Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 2nd January 2011, 11:40 pm

I need help with a few things, I've been here reading for 2 days and I'm still confused LOL

1. Haircut, I've not had one in about 2 years, so I need one. My question is this, can it be cut curly or do I have to get it straightened. Also style, how do I determine the style to cut it, or just a regular even cut? I'm not really talking about a full cut, but more or less just an even trim.

You don't have to straighten it. It can be cut wet. There is also a YouTube video about trimming your hair while it is in twists.

2. Hair color. I have a bit of gray that I'm not ready to surrender to yet, but the products seem to strip the color quickly. I used Garnier black cherry, and now my hair after a month is copper?

Maybe it's your shampoo? Shampoos with sulfates can strip color. Try Yes to Cucumbers. (Target)

3. I just stocked up on a bunch of products because of a sale, and I'm not real pleased with the results, how do I find out about mixing them with perhaps other products for better results.

This forum is very helpful and so is YouTube. Just search for the products.

4. Castor Oil, I see that mentioned here often, can someone tell me a brand or type, also the coconut oil.

My Castor Oil is 'The Palma Christi' and my Coconut Oil is GloryBee. I purchased both at a health food store.

I think that's it for now LOL

Keep 'em coming!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions Empty Re: Haircut, Castor Oil, & Couple Of Other Questions

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 12:04 am

Welcome to the Curly Nikki forums!! You'll be able to find the answers to anything you could possibly want to know here and demonstrated somewhere on YouTube, lol.

*Yes you can cut your hair in its natural state. Check out this video by Blackonyx77: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILH4iDq2fT0 As far as style that's gonna be up to you. When I got my last trim, I cut it to be even and keep as much length as possible so I ended up with a sort of stacked cut.

*I don't actually color my hair so my assistance with this is limited. You may want to try henna. What products are you using that you think are causing strippage (if that is even a word)?

*What products did you buy? What are there intended uses?

*The brand is not as important as the ingredients. You can use castor oil from Wal-Mart (I use Humco Castor Oil and its like $2.60 for 6oz) or your local healthfood store. There are also some ladies that prefer Jamaican Black Castor Oil which I have heard has a smokey kinda of smell and a slightly thinner viscosity. This can be purchased online. I love coconut oil. Its one of the fews oils that can actually penetrate the hair. I buy organic from the healthfood store, the brand is Tree of Life and its only $7.99 for a 14 oz jar.

HTH

Last edited by Ambitious_Tiff on 3rd January 2011, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydayvintage 3rd January 2011, 12:05 am

Mandi, thank you so much!

ladydayvintage

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 3rd January 2011, 12:05 am

Hello ladydayvintage

Welcome to the forum!

1. Please, please, please, stop calling it a haircut if you only want a trim.

2. Tell me what products you are using and I will try to tell you what ingredients (other than the sulfates that Mandi mentioned) could be contributing to the fadeing of your color.

3. I will try to help based upon the info you provide in response to item 2.

4. My Castor Oil preference is the Palma Christi. I also have used Home Health. PC is thicker. Both brands are cold-pressed.

HTH (Hope That Helps)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydayvintage 3rd January 2011, 12:20 am

Hi Tiff, thank you for the link. I think I'm going to go to the salon for the cut affraid after watching the video, don't think I can master that myself.

I use Suave, Organix, and Miss Jessie's, not together, but this is what I've been using.

Miss Jessie's entire line. I did the Meringue yesterday and my hair is hard. I did it last week with the babybutter underneath and it was to oily and frizzy. I spent a small fortune so I have to use these products LOL

ladydayvintage

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydayvintage 3rd January 2011, 12:39 am

Hi Falcon, thank you.
It is actually a cut and a trim. The back I have the wings at the sides, and the crown forward I need a trim. My hair is somewhat thin, so I'm thinking a cut will give me a fuller look?

Also, my hair is not soft when I wash it. I miss that soft feel, but I'm not sure what to use. The other problem I have with shampoo, I have a very sensitive scalp and the wrong shampoo will burn and almost immediately pull my hair out, so I am very reluctant to try other shampoo's.

ladydayvintage

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 3rd January 2011, 12:52 am

1. Yep you sure can cut it curly..I trim my own hair..its real easy too there is plenty of videos on youtube about trimming natural hair..
2. I suggest YTCucumber as well..it has a formula to help protect color treated hair
3. this is when the fun begins!! now you can toss in your own oils and ingredients in your products to improve their results
4. I go to vitamin shop to purchase my castor oil and coconut oil..but as loong as your castor oil is cold pressed you should be fine

if you have any more question please ask!! we are here to help Smile
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 12:56 am

LOL! I don't know about cutting my own hair either, so I totally understand. But the link just goes to show that you don't have to flat iron your hair to trim it.

Ok. I am not familar with Miss Jessie's products. Lol, they are way out of my price range. Sounds like you may want to try using less product... Idk. Prepooing is a great way to stop your hair from being stripped by shampoo. All you basically have to do is saturate your hair with the oils of you choice, cover in a plastic cap for a few hours or overnight, then wash as usual. Do you ever just conditioner wash your hair? This is good to. I actually prefer this method. You may also wanna try adding some oils to your conditioners if you need help with detangling. Olive is a good inexpensive option for both (I use EVOO for so much, lol. Prepooing, sealing, helping detangle, etc). I like the Organix Coconut line. Lol, I am just in love with coconut for some reason... drunken Prolly b/c I am dying for a tropical vacation, lol.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 3rd January 2011, 1:05 am

Miss Jessie's entire line. I did the Meringue yesterday and my hair is hard. I did it last week with the babybutter underneath and it was to oily and frizzy. I spent a small fortune so I have to use these products LOL

You can't return any of it? I would at least try. Also, you may be able to sell or swap it for something else.

It is actually a cut and a trim. The back I have the wings at the sides, and the crown forward I need a trim. My hair is somewhat thin, so I'm thinking a cut will give me a fuller look?
OK. I have read so may stories by women who only wanted a trim and scissor- happy stylists took of inches.

Do you dilute your shampoo?Perhaps the concentration of ingredients contributes to the irritation.

Also, are you wearing your hair loose or in a protective style?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydayvintage 3rd January 2011, 1:37 am

Hi Rayray, love the name. Thank you so much.

Tiff, you are making me laugh! I too dream of a tropical vacation.
No, never tried the conditioner shampoo, maybe I'll try that. EVOO? Olive Oil?

Lot of very good information, thank you everyone.

ladydayvintage

Back to top Go down

Post by ladydayvintage 3rd January 2011, 1:44 am

Falcon, no returns on the Miss Jessie's, only exchanges.

Oh, with the scissor happy stylist LOL.

Ok protective? I wash, deep condition, rinse. Then I do either a two strand twist, or braids. Since I work from home, this style could stay in util the next washing, but I do try to wear it out at least once before cleaning again.

ladydayvintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 2:06 am

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil Very Happy
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down