CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea Moisture Product Help

+7
kinkerbelle
shortncurly
dyamonds10
Pinkrage
labon10
Renny
deefraze
11 posters

Go down

Shea Moisture Product Help Empty Shea Moisture Product Help

Post by deefraze 27th June 2010, 8:01 pm

Hi ladies,

In hopes of finally settling down with staple products (with no shipping costs!), I recently purchased some items from the Shea Moisture product line at Target - The Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Hair Milk and Daily Hold and Shine Moisturizing Mist. Hands down, these products are the most moisturizing I have used in my short 6 months of being natural. However, has anyone had any success using these products for hold/definition?? I set a few two strand twists using the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It look great for literally 2 minutes before my hair 4b/c hair puffed up into cotton balls. Perhaps its too moisturizing???!! Im trying a braidout out with the hair milk today, and quite frankly I dont know what to do with the daily hold and shine moisture mist..I sprayed a section of my hair and there wasnt much shine or hold going on....I think the names are a tad misleading...

I desperately want to love this product line..does anyone have any advice?
deefraze
deefraze

Back to top Go down

Shea Moisture Product Help Empty Re: Shea Moisture Product Help

Post by Renny 27th June 2010, 8:15 pm

I am a transitioner. I love the way these products smell and make my hair feel, but the smoothie is no match for my permed ends. I put them away to try after I BC. I look forward to the answers. I have some 4b on the sides, 4a in the front/top, but I think I have mostly 3 c in the back. It worked much better in the back than in the front than on the sides. But there again, I'm not totally natural so I may be jumping on the gun on forming an opinion.

Last edited by Renny on 29th June 2010, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo on hair type)
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 29th June 2010, 10:02 am

just use a little gel for hold

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 29th June 2010, 4:05 pm

I use the smoothie for my wash n go's. It's a great KCCC alternative for me. I love the masque for my deep conditioning treatments. I have the hold and shine spray but haven't used it yet.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 29th June 2010, 5:28 pm

Hmmm, WNG. I'll have to try it. Gel makes my hair look like I have a jheri curl. Maybe the smoothie will work.

Thanks - Pinkrage.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by deefraze 30th June 2010, 8:30 am

I checked out your Fotki Pinkrage - your WnG looked great. I've been pairing the hair milk with a little shea butter for soft hold and that's been working for me the last couple of days. Based on your results though, I'm going to try shingling with the smoothie. Thanks for sharing.
deefraze
deefraze

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 30th June 2010, 12:07 pm

apply the smoothie and then a little of avg or ecostyler and it should last for a few days [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shortncurly 9th July 2010, 2:55 am

Try using water on the hair first and then either the oil or milk. I've used water and the oil along with other products. Water helps shrink up and curl my hair.
shortncurly
shortncurly

Back to top Go down

Post by kinkerbelle 9th July 2010, 3:30 pm

I used the conditioner as a leave-in (the one with the gold/yellow label) and got soft hold and definition.

kinkerbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by knatural 10th July 2010, 12:36 pm

I spray my hair with the mist first to make it wet and then apply the smoothie. It keeps my hair extremely moist and my hair really shines afterwards.
knatural
knatural

http://knaturalandknit.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nique1076 31st July 2010, 10:21 pm

I wear my hair mostly in twist n curls..the hair smoothie is wonderful for hold for me, but here is my regimen. I combine the shea butter conditioner from shea moisture with a few drops of tea tree oil with water in a spray bottle and mist onto my hair to dampen it a bit, then I use a drop of the hair smoothie mixed with coconut oil or shea butter to seal in the mositure. In the morning, my curls are nice, shiny, and holds extemely well...
nique1076
nique1076

https://www.facebook.com/Dominique Goosby Harris

Back to top Go down

Post by hopeforyourbody 8th August 2010, 11:49 pm

I am in month seven of my transition and have tried several products mentioned on this site and others. The Aveda defining whip looked great on day 1; day 2 I knew I'd be returning it. My hair was clumpy. Maybe it's a product best for all natural hair (I'm going for length so no BC). I do like the DevaCurl Set It Free but t'aint cheap and I go through it like watuh! Love virgin coconut oil; I mix it with my shea butter and pop the mixture in the microwave to melt it down. Gives moisture and some shine without being oily. Smells good too. Bought some KC Knot Today from WF; I've used it once or twice and am not really sure it had/has much of an effect. I'm saving it for when my natural is longer.

The product I can no longer imagine doing without? Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque. The best moisturizer, defrizzer that I've used and it's only $9.99 at Tar-jay (although I'm cutting back on shopping there - don't like the owner's political leanings). Using just the coconut/shea mixture, leave-in condish and the set it free combo, I was having to braid my hair every night (was wearing braid outs). With the SM, I don't have to! I literally can sleep on it (wearing a satin cap) and just fluff it in the a.m., spritzing on a little Hold and Shine.

I DC with it for a minimum 30 minutes and use it as a leave-in as well. Love the results and getting compliments on my hair. I also use the Coconut and Hibiscus Hold and Shine Moisture Mist. I plan on trying a few more items in the product line when I can get ahold of them. Would try Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery Treatment but can not yet fathom spending $48 on it.
hopeforyourbody
hopeforyourbody

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsDivine 11th August 2010, 4:32 pm

To answer the question to deefraze...I have all the products from the Shea Moisture line and I don't think their products are meant for hold, but more so moisturizing. The spritz is more like a refresher on the next day. My recommendation is to use the shampoo, curl enhancing smoothie and then Eco-Styler (olive oil). Its does a wonderful job with great hold and no crunch. I have the hair milk, and I used it in place of the smoothie to see if I noticed a difference. My hair definitely responded to the smoothie better. I hope this will help.
CurlsDivine
CurlsDivine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down