CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about getting kinky twists...

5 posters

Go down

Thinking about getting kinky twists... Empty Thinking about getting kinky twists...

Post by Kittabug 20th December 2010, 3:43 am

Hi! I am two months post BC and needing help. I am wondering if I should get kinky twists and what I should do before I get them. Am I supposed to blow dry my hair before I get them done? How do I keep my hair moisturized while in kinky twists? How can i keep my hair from coming out around the edges? Thanks for helping!!! Very Happy
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting kinky twists... Empty Re: Thinking about getting kinky twists...

Post by Guest 22nd December 2010, 1:39 am

if ur getting them done by the africans be careful! alot of ppls edges come out and even other hair that is braided in clumps.....i NEVER got my hair braided by them so i never experienced it. anyway um, in order to keep them moisturized, you want to have some type of braid spray moisturizer or whatever and spray it on ur braids and scalp or whatever as needed....idk what to do about ur edges b/c like i said, if ur getting them done by africans, majority of the time they braid REALLY tight from what i've seen and it isn't a good look....hope i've helped~ Smile

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting kinky twists... Empty Re: Thinking about getting kinky twists...

Post by rayray19 22nd December 2010, 2:32 am

Im putting in yarn barids now!! I chose not to go to the africans because the prices always kills me!! but i plan on leaving them in until the end of feb (2months)..I plan on washing and DC then every week..and I am going to spray them twice a day with a spritz mixed with giovanni direct leave in, water, and EVOO..and i plan on oiling my scalp twice a week..

oh yea i before i stated braiding my hair I did a avocado DC and banded my hair to stretch it...
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by naybesa 22nd December 2010, 3:35 am

im getting straight up tracks, i was going to get some kinky twist but i dont feel like buying the hair lol i all ready have a crap load of straight hair so im just going to use that up lol
naybesa
naybesa

https://www.youtube.com/NayBesa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittabug 22nd December 2010, 5:01 am

Thanks so much for helping!! I'm kinda clueless lol!
@rayray- how do you do yarn braids?? Are they like doing micros?
@naybesa- I was thinking about getting a wig but I don't know anything about em lol
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 22nd December 2010, 5:08 am

no they aren't like micros..they kind of look like micro dreads though..I use the two strand method to braid them..I followed blackonyx77 tutorial here's the link...Im loving them so far!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkzj7Xj5zoA&feature=relmfu
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by mahoganytresses 22nd December 2010, 9:08 am

I just got a set of nubian twists put in last week and my braider is african. Not all of them braid tight, and you have to be careful with anyone you trust to put their hands in your head. I always ask for my hair to be parted really big around my hairline. Also, once your twists are in, I would advise that you do not put your hair into ponytails too often, because it creates extra tension on the hairline and can cause breakage. If you see alot of white bulbs at the base of your twist/braids that is your actual hair follicle meaning that your hair is coming out from the root.

@rayray19 have you had yarn braids before? since the yarn in cotton, does it dry out your hair? yarn braids are so pretty! I want to try those too
mahoganytresses
mahoganytresses

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 22nd December 2010, 11:44 am

mahoganytresses wrote:I just got a set of nubian twists put in last week and my braider is african. Not all of them braid tight, and you have to be careful with anyone you trust to put their hands in your head. I always ask for my hair to be parted really big around my hairline. Also, once your twists are in, I would advise that you do not put your hair into ponytails too often, because it creates extra tension on the hairline and can cause breakage. If you see alot of white bulbs at the base of your twist/braids that is your actual hair follicle meaning that your hair is coming out from the root.

@rayray19 have you had yarn braids before? since the yarn in cotton, does it dry out your hair? yarn braids are so pretty! I want to try those too

Actually, you use the ACRYLIC yarn, since cotton will loc in your hair. As long as you spritz your scalp with a moisturizing mix and oil your scalp consistently, dryness won't be an issue. I've worn yarn braids several times, and never had an issue with dryness. Detangling after takedown--now THAT'S a pain in the ass! lol! But SO worth it--the growth you get is great! Smile
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittabug 22nd December 2010, 12:32 pm

@rayray- thanks, I'm gonna check this out
@mahoganytresses- I'll try to remember to do this. I don't oil my scalp normally
@LadyMika- I'm looking for growth, so maybe this would be a great option for me!!!!
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 22nd December 2010, 12:54 pm

LadyMika wrote:
mahoganytresses wrote:I just got a set of nubian twists put in last week and my braider is african. Not all of them braid tight, and you have to be careful with anyone you trust to put their hands in your head. I always ask for my hair to be parted really big around my hairline. Also, once your twists are in, I would advise that you do not put your hair into ponytails too often, because it creates extra tension on the hairline and can cause breakage. If you see alot of white bulbs at the base of your twist/braids that is your actual hair follicle meaning that your hair is coming out from the root.

Actually, you use the ACRYLIC yarn, since cotton will loc in your hair. As long as you spritz your scalp with a moisturizing mix and oil your scalp consistently, dryness won't be an issue. I've worn yarn braids several times, and never had an issue with dryness. Detangling after takedown--now THAT'S a pain in the ass! lol! But SO worth it--the growth you get is great! Smile

yea like ladymika said I used 100% acrylic yarn ( brand is called red heart) so it holds moisture and doesnt lock into my hair..and I looking forward to growth!!

but i got a question for you ladymika..when you install your yarn braids do you do them close to the root or leave some room..I cant get mines that close to my scalp for nothing(its my first time braiding them)??
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittabug 22nd December 2010, 12:58 pm

@rayray- totally off subject, but how do you do the quote thing?
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 22nd December 2010, 1:00 pm

you click quote at the top of the persons who you want to quote post..and then click post reply at the bottom of the page..this will bring you to another page and their post will already be entered in your text...
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittabug 22nd December 2010, 1:04 pm

Ok thanks!
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 22nd December 2010, 2:23 pm

rayray19 wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

yea like ladymika said I used 100% acrylic yarn ( brand is called red heart) so it holds moisture and doesnt lock into my hair..and I looking forward to growth!!

but i got a question for you ladymika..when you install your yarn braids do you do them close to the root or leave some room..I cant get mines that close to my scalp for nothing(its my first time braiding them)??

I do them close to the scalp, but I leave a little room at my edges to reduce tension. You may also want to rebraid your edges down the line (or any braids) down the line if you feel like they'll slide out. Especially if you move your braids around a lot.

Hope this helps, and have fun. Smile
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down