CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

growing long hair! nature vs nurture

4 posters

Go down

growing long hair! nature vs nurture Empty growing long hair! nature vs nurture

Post by elleeccentric 1st December 2009, 9:45 pm

I've never had long hair nor does anyone in my family. But now that i'm natural I'd love to grow bsl length hair or even longer. This got me to wondering... Do you think the maximum length your hair will reach is predetermined by genes or can you care for your hair well and acheive length regardless of heredity???
What do you ladies think?
elleeccentric
elleeccentric

http://twitter.com/elleeccentric

Back to top Go down

growing long hair! nature vs nurture Empty Re: growing long hair! nature vs nurture

Post by NikG20 1st December 2009, 9:53 pm

I'm not sure. I want to say you can care for your hair well and acheieve length regardless. I definitley think genes play a big role in how fast your hair grows though.

I would like to hear what others have to say. Smile
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

growing long hair! nature vs nurture Empty Re: growing long hair! nature vs nurture

Post by maysay 1st December 2009, 9:55 pm

Well, the longest length you can achieve is decided by nature. The length of your growth cycle and the number of inches you can grow in a day/month/year are determined by your biology/genes. So if the length of your growth cycle is only 2 years, and your growth rate is 6 inches per year, then the longest your hair can get is 12 inches before it sheds.

But, if you want your longest possible hair, then nurture is key. Even if your hair can only get to 12 inches, it's better to keep all 12 than to be walking around stuck with 6 because you don't know how to take care of your hair and retain what you grow.

The science books say the average human growth cycles is between 2 and 6 years, and that the average growth rate is about 6 inches per year. Some people are higher than average and some people are lower. The most important thing is to retain all you can so that you can see the longest length possible for you.

maysay

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 3rd December 2009, 1:50 am

well said ^^^

In addition to that I'd say love what you are working with. As she said, if its only 12 inches be flyy in all of your 12 inches lol Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down